Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

There are many who would swear by alternative therapies for the allievation/eradication of the condition. Sorry if plenty of users have suggested this already - I haven't browsed the entire post. I bought a book called Skin Deep which could possibly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

seensensee wrote: »
    Pardon me, I am unfamiliar with your situation except to visualise 1 patch on your ankle, it's not typical of the psoriasis I know.

I had a single patch of psoriasis on my ankle about the size of of a STG £1 coin (smack bang on the ankle bone) for about 10 years which my GP diagnosed as psoriasis and prescribed a cream called Dovobet or something like that. I never used the cream after the first week because the patch was so small and I wasn't really bothered. Then about 4 years ago I got a more bothersome patch on my elbow but it still wasn't very big or unsightly. Two years ago I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and was told that in some cases of PA that the psoriasis appeared approximately ten years before the arthritis which was exactly how it was with me. Psoriasis doesn't need to be in huge patches/all over/very unsightly/always present for it to be psoriasis.

DonFred wrote: »
    Ive seen this Head and Shoulders in Boots but normal Head and Shoulders made my scalp feel really tight and itchy. Im tempted to try this one though cause nothing is working at the moment.

My ex brought our boys home this evening and gave me a tub of neem cream that his cousin makes and markets (I'm being upfront about this) on the net. He met her for the first time in his life at a party a couple of weeks ago and was telling her about our daughter's acne, son's excema and my psoriasis and she told him about her product. She called in to him yesterday with a couple of pots of the stuff for the us to try out and lot of advice about diet etc (I hate the diet advice. :( Much easier to take a tablet.)

I was checking out her website and I thought of you because you asked for suggestions on a paraben free shampoo and according to her site none of the products contain paraben. If you want the link to the site, pm me and I'll pass it on. I can't guarantee what the stuff is like but will post here once we've all had a week or so on it and let you know if any miracles ensue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

I'm off to the GP in the morning to see if I can be referred to the hospital for UVB treatment, this thread sparked my curiosity and have talked with someone who became fully clear after 8 visits:eek:. Like the "cream" it's still difficult to comprehend.
    Sent an email to the UVB comb people regarding suitability in treating facial psoriasis, I await their reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Madma,

Hi there
    Well having had psoriasis for the past 27 years, let me give you a few tips,
    La roche posay is a great moisturiser if you can get it in your local chemist, explain to them that you have psoriasis and they will probably recommend the lipikar products. not too expensive a little goes a long way.

send me a PM if you want more info,

i have tried possibly every treatment known to man at this stage, both here and the united states, and the continent.

Have learnt lots (both good and bad) over the years.

:o
    madma wrote: »
    hi all

does anyone on here have facial psoriasis

its the only place i get it, i used to have it on the scalp and every now and then i get it on the outline of hair but thats when hair is overdue a haircut

i found using Eucerin moisturizer great. it worked for 1 year and i was completly clear. it stopped working though. ive since been using a different eucerin moisterizer seems to only work on and off i currently have a flair up and been using it and its not helping.

just wish i could find another moisterizer that works well.. i know their out their just cant go through all diff ones like the last time. its really annoying trying new products.

anybody any suggestions? i wash my face aqueaous cream whch is briallint. it always helps and soothes the skin and gets rid of any itchyness or soreness, its just a new moisterizer i need.

thanks

• Advertisement

cailineile wrote: »
    La roche posay is a great moisturiser if you can get it in your local chemist, explain to them that you have psoriasis and they will probably recommend the lipikar products. not too expensive a little goes a long way.

Recession tip - La Roche Posay are one the best at providing pharmacies with sample products to give to people. I have to admit I do the rounds of the pharmacies wherever I am asking for samples. I've never had to buy any. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bravo wrote: »
    There were rumours some years ago that if you lived in Scandanavian countries and were diagnosed with psoriasis, your doctor could prescribe a sun holiday paid for by the state - not sure if it was true!
    Very nice, I was sunbathing this year for the first time in my life!

The front headline of some newspaper today was about the risk of rickets due to lack of sun.
    I had a single patch of psoriasis on my ankle about the size of of a STG £1 coin
    I had a similar size one on my chest, looked sort of like a scar there since I was a child but not very bad at all. When my scalp psoriasis started this patch also started to get worse, it also went away with UVB treatment. I purposely do not treat it as much with the UVB unless it gets really bad, I actually use it as a sort of indicator for my scalp psoriasis -if I feel/see the chest getting bad I treat the scalp before it gets bad too.
    Sent an email to the UVB comb people regarding suitability in treating facial psoriasis, I await their reply.
    Here is the instructions for the dermalight, like I said most are using the exact same philips bulb so directions would be very similar for most of the smaller handheld units. It does mention the face. I expect the company would be cautious and advise you to see your doctor.

http://beatpsoriasis.com/forms/dermalight80.pdf
    Never operate without UV safety goggles! Your must wear the safety
    goggles at all times.
    Never look directly into the light with your eyes open. If treating your
    face, keep eyes closes and goggles on at all times.

Many sites I read were saying to use sunscreen to block off the face (if unaffected), since it is already exposed to light there is more reason to use the UVB sparingly.

Steroid creams are often advised against for the face as the skin is so thin, I remember as a child with dermatitis on my feet being told to wash my hands and never touch my face after using dermovate.

http://www.psorinfo.com/Treating-%27difficult%27-sites.aspx?ID=84
    Does facial skin flora make lesions more likely?

It is important to consider the role of pityrosporum (a form of yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis) in relation to psoriasis and anti-mycotic treatment may be necessary. The best treatment for facial psoriasis remains narrow spectrum UVB therapy, conducted under close medical supervision as certain types of psoriasis may be photo-aggravated.
    Maintenance therapy may include corticosteroids or vitamin D derivatives, although the latter are not always well tolerated on the face.
    It is also important to keep the skin well moisturised to stop it drying out.
    Lesions sometimes occur on the lips, a delicate area that often cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

cailineile wrote: »
    Madma,

Hi there
    Well having had psoriasis for the past 27 years, let me give you a few tips,

send me a PM if you want more info,

i have tried possibly every treatment known to man at this stage, both here and the united states, and the continent.

Have learnt lots (both good and bad) over the years.

:o

cheers, cailineile

ill try it out. i have tried a few diff things myself, only thing that worked wonders was he eucerin face cream. but now it isnt as effective as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 inbits

Got prescribed Zorac gel last year, been the best thing i've ever used, especially for plaque psoriasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

I've had psoriasis for 14 years or so, both the plaques and the guttate form. The latter one did clear up when i had a tonsillectomy, so yeah those 2 things are definitely related. but other than that, i have never been quite free of it.
    One thing i'd like to recommend is Alphosyl shampoo. It's the only medicated shampoo that has ever worked for me. Most importantly it is not irritating and it doesn't make your scalp "shrink". The chemists in ireland don't seem to have it but, as with most things, you can get it on ebay (from uk pharmacies). Try it out if you, like me, find that tar is not for you. You may also want to apply some olive/coconut/jojoba oil to your scalp before you go to bed, and wash it off in the morning after removing the loose scales (if there's any). That sort of a regimen should allow you to maintain a relatively decent scalp without even needing to use any additional lotions, etc.
    As for flaking and embarrassment, it really helps if you gently remove any loose skin in the morning (or evening if you have no time in the morning), and avoid any excessive scratching/poking for the rest of the time.

• Advertisement

That neem cream did nothing for my psoriasis - made it worse if anything. My daughter said it made her face too greasy to continue using it and my son wouldn't touch it because we'd both already stuck our fingers in the pot. :D It doesn't have a great smell to boot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

i gave up smoking there for about 16 months, back on them now for the past 6 months. my finger nails had cleared up, but are bad again now, i've put it down to the cigs. none of the creams worked for me, just going to kick the habbit again now to get them back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Hey guys,

I have had psoriasis for about 5 years now, particularly bad on the scalp. Nails are a bit fooked too!.

I managed to completely clear it once and it feels unreal when you do it and I reckon it is possible to keep it 100% clear but it takes a bit of dedication and work. Forget about creams, steroids, shampoos and dermatologists they might help you to control it in the short term but you aren't sorting out the root of the problem.

If you haven't read this book yet, I urge you to get a copy of it.
    Pagano - Healing Psoriasis Natural Alternative

After reading it, you will understand completely what psoriasis is and it will make perfect sense what is happening with your body. Just check out the feedback on the book :)

Its basically all down to diet and lifestyle choices, it really is that simple. Read the book, follow the recommendations and your psoriasis will disappear. Don't get me wrong, its is difficult but it works 100%. I had mine completely clear, quit smoking, drinking, red meats, limited dairy,fried foods and started regular exercise for about 8 weeks and it just started dying off and let me tell you when you see it happen its an amazing feeling.

I went on holidays then for 6 weeks, ate crap foods, smoked like a trooper and drank like a fish and I was back at square one!. Im now back off the cigs and back on the diet and am on the road to recovery again. Like I said it really works, patience and dedication and you will beat it.

Anyways give the book a go, let me know how you get on!. :D

Well posted Feelgood, I skimmed through the sample pages of the book and found correlations in what it says and these sites...

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/Treatments%20for%20leaky%20gut.htm

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/psoriasis-causes.html

I have a session of UVB therapy booked with the hospital for January but meanwhile the first step is to wake up, stop procrastinating and get the book.It's time to adapt the diet as has been recommended and quit the tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

michellie wrote: »
    ..........................,I just have 2 small patches on my knees, and behind my ears and inside my ears,................

Has this

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001480.htm

been considered and eliminated as a possibility ?

I have a session of UVB therapy booked with the hospital for January but meanwhile the first step is to wake up, stop procrastinating and get the book.It's time to adapt the diet as has been recommended and quit the tobacco.

Go for it seensensee. Basically as described in the book, think of psoriasis as an iceberg. You only see about 10% of an iceberg (the skin), the biggest problematic part is the bottom of the iceberg that can't be seen (your intestines). So while you keep chipping away at the top of the iceberg with, UV lights, steroids, creams, shampoos and you may get some temporary relief - you are still not treating the source of the problem which is why it will keep coming back again and again until you do. Basically the lesions on your skin are the end product and not the problem.

So basically what the problem boils down to is leaky gut syndrome, you fill your body full of acidic foods and crap, nightshades, tobacco, booze etc. Eventually it becomes overloaded with toxins, the toxins break down and seep through the intestinal walls, the liver and the kidneys become overloaded trying to get rid of the toxins, so the toxins then get pushed onto the biggest organ in the body - the skin :)

So the theory behind Paganos book is quite simple really, stop eating foods that are breaking down your intestinal walls, internally cleanse, using teas and good healthy foods. 80% Alkaline 20% Acidic and watch your psoriasis and eczema disappear :)

It does work 100% and the diet is restrictive and can be a killer. You really have to plan out what you are going to eat for a couple of days until you get into a system, eating out is a nightmare too cause its nearly impossible to get food to suit the diet. (They should have menus for people with skin problems). It will also get worse before it gets better!. You will get a serious outbreak when the body is cleansing. You will also lose a lot of weight and feel and look more healthy so there are added bonuses too..

If you are serious about clearing your Psorasis then this book is the way to go. Theres a lot of crap in there too, like spiritual stuff and positive thinking that you might find a bit crap (I did) but this guy is on the money. In 5 years its the only thing that has every managed to clear it for me...

Best of luck, let me know how it goes for you.

Feelgood wrote: »
    If you haven't read this book yet, I urge you to get a copy of it.
    Pagano - Healing Psoriasis Natural Alternative
    I got this and its an interesting read (still have to finish it). Far too restrictive a diet for myself but I try and follow it to some degree. He points out "nightshades" as being the worst, the main ones are tomatoes, potatoes, peppers (chilli & bell) and tobacco.

There was some nonsense in it, he also seemed to dismiss UVB and did not credit it where due -e.g. he says skin gets worse in winter due to drier air or something, while I now have absolutely no doubt that it coincides with less sunlight.

I like my acidic foods and beer, I have been drinking bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) mixed with water which does seem to help a lot. In the book he said some guy drank some and it instantly relived itching. After reading up about it there are lots of things baking soda seems to be benefical for.

The book is showing up as being in stock in blackrock library in dublin. You can order books for 50c to your local library. I got mine cheapest on bookdepository

rubadub wrote: »
    I got this and its an interesting read (still have to finish it).

You should finish it rubadub!. Really does work, I can vouch for it and to be honest when you see your psoriasis clearing up and run with the diet for a while you will start to wonder how you ever ate some of the stuff you did in the first place. I find I think a lot more about what I eat now and don't just grab the first thing that comes into my hand which is a good thing.

I loved my red meats but I haven't eaten any red meat since I went on the pagano diet the first time and don't have a longing for it anymore now!.

Heres an hour long youtube vid of Dr. Pagano (The guy who wrote the book) talking about the Edgar Cayce methods which basically is what he bases his book on. **Note the first part isn't really about psoriasis, you should be able to find all 6 parts. Enjoy!

Dr.Pagano You Tube

EDIT: Don't let the nonsense in the first part of the videos about Edgar Cayce being Jesus put you off the book :D

The patch of psoriasis around my belly button is on fire. It is all red and inflamed. It's been bad the last few days and driving me bonkers with burning itchiness. Does anyone have any idea what cream I could get today that would cool it down.

I wouldn't mind but in the last week a patch of what I'm told is excema (not psoriasis) has erupted on my back and that is very itchy and burning as well. I didn't realise you could get both psoriasis and excema at the same time. I know I shouldn't scratch but just at this moment in time I wish I was an eight armed Indian goddess. :(

I've been using Lipikar the last few days but it's burning on contact. Any ideas for short term relief till I can see the doctor, please?

I've been using Lipikar the last few days but it's burning on contact. Any ideas for short term relief till I can see the doctor, please?

I'm not a doctor and you shouldn't ask for medical advice here, but UNTIL you see a Doc. Try mouthwash - listerine if you have it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Apple Cider Vinegar is quite helpful for skin conditions

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/psoriasis.html

Argan Oil from Morocco is also supposed to be great for psoriasis. I think you can get it in a health food shop on Camden St

However nothing beats sunlight and salt water.

I'm not a doctor and you shouldn't ask for medical advice here, but UNTIL you see a Doc. Try mouthwash - listerine if you have it :)

I wasn't looking for medical advice. Just looking for other people's suggestions on what might they might have used to sooth burny/itchy bits that I could get on a Sunday.

Are you serious about mouthwash? :eek: Internally or externally. Surely externally it would sting like bejaysus!

I wasn't looking for medical advice. Just looking for other people's suggestions on what might they might have used to sooth burny/itchy bits that I could get on a Sunday.

Are you serious about mouthwash? :eek: Internally or externally. Surely externally it would sting like bejaysus!

I find Teatree oil to be helpful, a couple of drops only which stings a little at first but then the itchiness seems to fade. It's "possible" that it may bring you some relief too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

The patch of psoriasis around my belly button is on fire. It is all red and inflamed. It's been bad the last few days and driving me bonkers with burning itchiness. Does anyone have any idea what cream I could get today that would cool it down.

I wouldn't mind but in the last week a patch of what I'm told is excema (not psoriasis) has erupted on my back and that is very itchy and burning as well. I didn't realise you could get both psoriasis and excema at the same time. I know I shouldn't scratch but just at this moment in time I wish I was an eight armed Indian goddess. :(

Get tested to see if you are Vit D3 deficient, chickweed and marigold cream are also very relieving for psoriasis.

More (including the use of a salt water compress) can be found here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/30/fend-off-psoriasis-and-eczema-with-simple-inexpensive-remedies.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

This is terrible advice :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hope I don't get shouted at for this, but I was suffering with really severe scaling over 60% of my body, face and scalp up til about 2 years ago. It was horrific and mortifying socially and in terms of self esteem.

I read Paganos book, which I found to be good but a little too hard to live by, but one thing he did turn me onto was about water. Drink as much as is healthily possible and do it every single day. Make it part of your life and in such a way you drink without even thinking about it. I didn't change my diet, lifetstyle, alcohol intake, nothing, just made water a full on constant in my day, everyday. I now only have a small patch less than the size of a euro on my leg and an even smaller one on my left side. I used to be covered literally all over my torso with this. it's gone. the water did it for me.

Throw the dovonex/betnovate away. just lash the water into you.

Hope this helps.

david75 wrote: »
    Hope I don't get shouted at for this, but I was suffering with really severe scaling over 60% of my body, face and scalp up til about 2 years ago. It was horrific and mortifying socially and in terms of self esteem.

I read Paganos book, which I found to be good but a little too hard to live by, but one thing he did turn me onto was about water. Drink as much as is healthily possible and do it every single day. Make it part of your life and in such a way you drink without even thinking about it. I didn't change my diet, lifetstyle, alcohol intake, nothing, just made water a full on constant in my day, everyday. I now only have a small patch less than the size of a euro on my leg and an even smaller one on my left side. I used to be covered literally all over my torso with this. it's gone. the water did it for me.

Throw the dovonex/betnovate away. just lash the water into you.

Hope this helps.

EVERY LITTLE HELPS! THAAAAANNK YOOOOOU!!!! :D

WildBoots wrote: »
    This is terrible advice :eek:

Why is it terrible advice?. Do you have psoriasis?. Did you ever try it?.
    If its terrible advice then explain to me why it is. Mouthwash is commonly
    used for psoriasis preparations and has been for years. Its probably one
    of the best home remedies for taking the itch out of it and I can vouch for that personally. Tried and tested with absolutely no harmful side effects.

The Many Surprising Uses of Listerien
    "Psoriasis- While it is unsure why Listerine would work in helping psoriasis or many of the other skin conditions it is said to help many people claim that it makes a huge difference."

The woman Denise on this page was on TV3 this morning
    http://www.underthespotlight.ie/theirstories.html

it might be on tomorrow online http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kurbinator

I've had psorisis for 7 or 8 years now.It's on my scalp arms knees ect..
    In all that time it never once occoured to me to look on boards.I ordered that bookFirst thing I noticed on the youtube clip fried foods red meat tomatoes peppers sweets ><.Glad I clicked on this

Advertisement