Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psoriasis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Article on women, beer, psoriasis & UVB
    http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Nutrition/Food/psoriasis_beer_vitamin_d_1708100557.html
    Drinking non-light beer may boost risk of psoriasis in women, a study published in the December 2010 issue of Archives of Dermatology suggests.

Psoriasis is a chronic, autoimmune disease that occurs on the skin when the immune system send out wrong signals that speed up the growth of skin cells.

The study led by Abrar A. Qureshi, M.D., M.P.H., of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston found women who drank five or more non-light beers per week were 2.3 times as likely as those who did not drink beer to be diagnosed with psoriasis.

The authors of the study said in their report that alcoholic beverages have been suspected for a long time as a risk factor for psoriasis onset and psoriasis worsening. Alcohol drinkers are known to be more likely to suffer the disease and alcohol may exacerbate the severity of the disease.

For the study, the researchers surveyed 82,860 women aged 27 to 44 who participated in the NUrses' Health Study II for the amount and type pf alcohol they consumed through biennial questionnaires and participants reported also whether they were diagnosed with psoriasis.

Women who had an average of 2.3 drinks or more each week were 72 percent more likely than those who did not drink alcohol to report they suffered psoriasis, the study found.

Women who drank five or more non-light beers per week were found to have 1.8 times higher risk for the disease compared to those who did not drink non-light beers.

If only confirmed cases of psoriasis were considered, the risk for the condition was 2.3 times higher for those who drank five or more non-light beers per week compared to those who did not drink beer.

Light beer, wine and liqueurs on the other hand were not linked to increased risk for psoriasis.

The researchers suggested that malted barley, the main ingredient used in non-light beer, may be the culprit for the elevated risk of psoriasis.

Barley, they said, contains gluten, to which some people with psoriasis show a sensitivity. Light beers contain lower amounts of barley while non-light or dark beers contain higher amounts of this ingredient.

The authors suggested that women at a high risk of psoriasis may consider not drinking non-light beer.

Still, a health observer suggested that the association between consumption of non-light beer and elevated risk of psoriasis may be a causal relation.

He cited an article circulated over the internet saying that people tend to drink more dark beers in the winter when vitamin D deficiency is more commonly found than in the summer.

Vitamin D has been known to be involved in the immune system, and deficiency of this sunshine vitamin can cause a wide spectrum of diseases including autoimmune diseases, according to the Vitamin D Council. So it is possible that vitamin D deficiency is linked to increased risk of psoriasis.

In fact, vitamin D products are used to ease symptoms of psoriasis.

According to a study reported in the Aug 2009 issue of Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, calcitriol ointments can be used to improve symptoms of psoriasis. The efficacy may be boosted by ultraviolet B phototherapy.

Calcitriol is the naturally occurring active form of vitamin D3. Ultraviolet B can induce the vitamin when the skin is exposed to the UV ray.

In another report, the author whose name remains unknown in the pubmed database says the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has actually approved one such ointment to treat psoriasis.

Because many factors may influence the risk of psoriasis, it remains unknown whether avoiding non-light beer would help reduce the risk.

This was on women but I have no doubt it applies to men. I know a bit about brewing, "Light" beers tend to be brewed out to completion, i.e. all sugars are fermented out so they are lower in calories compared to another beer brewed to the same alcohol level, e.g. both 4.2%. Also light beers might have sugar added to lessen the taste and make it "cleaner", so less barley.

I drink a lot of beer, maybe 35 cans a week of regular beer, I have noticed it got worse after drinking, this is also due to skin dehydration though. I have been reading a book on psoriasis that reckons it is caused by "leaky gut syndrome" and beer is a no-no for this. I have been sipping on sodium bicarbonate AKA baking soda AKA bread soda AKA bicarbonate of soda which helps neutralise the acids. The author talks of eating alkaline foods, and lists acidic causing foods, citric fruits are actually alkaline causing foods (while being acidic themselves). The diet is extremely strict but also says the main culprits are "nightshades", e.g. tomatoes, potatoes, peppers. Sweet potato is OK. The author did report less itching in a patient who drank bicarbonate of soda. I have found it did cause less of an effect and also calmed the acid stomach the next day.

Vitamin D is mentioned in that study too, which is very important IMO. I have a UVB light and my psoriasis is pretty much gone. In recent weeks I have been back eating small amounts of ketchup, chips, pizza and other "nightshades", and still drinking beer like a fish! I also stopped the UVB and it did come back slightly. Had a go of UVB and it is clearing up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Has anybody with scalp psoriasis suffer any reaction from using LUSH shampoo bars like Soak n Floak, Squeaky Clean or Ultimate Shine? My scalp is very flaky at the moment and Im trying these shampoo bars out. Notice my scalp get a little tight. Any thought be helpful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DonFred wrote: »
    Has anybody with scalp psoriasis suffer any reaction from using LUSH shampoo bars like Soak n Floak, Squeaky Clean or Ultimate Shine? My scalp is very flaky at the moment and Im trying these shampoo bars out. Notice my scalp get a little tight. Any thought be helpful. Thanks.
    I tried one a while back, can't remember the name but it was 'recommended' by someone in the shop for people with scalp conditions. I had the same effect, i.e. it was as if someone had shrunk the skin covering my scalp, and it became quite red and inflamed looking, although I didn't notice any actual increased itchyness or flake formation. So I just ditched it and didn't use it again.

The crazy thing is some shampoos like nizoral specifically aimed at psoriasis sufferers contain sodium lauryl sulphate -a foaming agent which is recognised as making skin conditions even worse. Then people usually tend to leave these shampoos on for a long time, even overnight.

I have heard people using apple cider vinegar. I use just water though I have a blade 1-2 all over. This woman is saying she uses cider vinegar and baking soda -both of which I hear are good for scalp psoriasis.

http://www.naturemoms.com/no-shampoo-alternative.html

Having a shaved head will expose your skin to more sunlight so should make the condition better -but it is sort of catch 22 as then the psoriasis is more visible, and 99% of women will not want a shaved head!

I must give the baking soda stuff a go. I notice that LUSH shampoo dont contain SLS but a milder version of it accordking to them something made out of coconut oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I have mild psoriasis on my scalp and 2 small patches on my knees, Ive had it about 10 years id say. My father has it too, his is bad, all over his body .

Years ago he went to Turkey for this treatment for 3 weeks, spending hours a day in these fresh water pools and loads of fish are nibbling and sucking at the skin. He came home and it was completely gone! But it came back 2 years later from the stress of building and moving house. He's tried everything possible, acupuncture, steroids & every cream imaginable.

Im using Dovobet at the minute, and I have a mouse for my scalp. I must give the cider vinegar and baking soda a go too!

michellie wrote: »
    He's tried everything possible, acupuncture, steroids & every cream imaginable.
    Did he try UVB? cannot recommend it enough, my mate has worse psoriasis than me and was shocked when he saw me after 1 month of UVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have this condition for over 30 years. It is a nervous condition, where the CNS seems to not get the correct nerve signals to tell it skin repair is complete. No amount of applications, creams, etc. will cure it. It's important to recognise the triggers and amplifiers for the condition, and live with it.

Right, Ive tried another bar of LUSH shampoo and never again Im finish with their stuff. My scalp feels like its on fire. Can anyone recommend me a SLS, Paraben etc free shampoo. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

rubadub wrote: »
    Did he try UVB? cannot recommend it enough, my mate has worse psoriasis than me and was shocked when he saw me after 1 month of UVB.

Right on, I'm convinced, from where can the light be sourced?

• Advertisement

Right, Ive tried another bar of LUSH shampoo and never again Im finish with their stuff. My scalp feels like its on fire. Can anyone recommend me a SLS, Paraben etc free shampoo. Thanks

Have a look at Sanex "zero"

seensensee wrote: »
    Right on, I'm convinced, from where can the light be sourced?
    First off it is not to be taken lightly, there is a serious risk of sunburn if used for too long, a timer is essential, as are UVB goggles. There is a huge tempation to think "ah just a few seconds more won't kill me, sure it could have done nothing in this time". This is the other reason doctors would be hesitant to let people do it at home (besides losing a paying customer).

I made my own light, but I'm a qualified engineer though its not too hard, just needs the right ballast & connection for it, you could find some standard flourescent lamp with the correct fitting and power supply.

I was going to buy this one linked below before I discovered I could make it, this one is proper german made and comes with glasses, in the UK you can get a VAT discount but not here.

http://www.androv-medical.com/product/90/dermfix-900-inc-v-a-t-/3024f21423ebd551a08916cf35d339e5

Note that this one is small and suited for small regions e.g. the scalp, you could do it all over but it would take some time, esp. after you build up to the maximum time. e.g. I started with 20seconds per area on my head (3 areas per side, 6 in total), now I am up to about 2mins max on each area and it should not really increase any more, last time I did 1min45sec behind each ear, 1min45sec on the ear and towards the front of my head, then 2mins 30sec just behind my ears sort of moving it around back & forth. So this is 6mins on each side of the head, 12mins total. I have a mild sunburn today in a few spots, which is what you actually want to get, just some very light pinking, you only see it as I have a blade 2 all over.

The one I linked is handy as it has special distancing spikes to make sure it is an even distance from your head. These spikes also act like fibre optic tubes and allow the light to flow down them and reach the scalp -for people with long hair.

The other similar style and popular one is called the dermalight. They all use the same philips bulb as the one I made. Some lights in the US cost a fortune and have special timers etc built in, but at the end of the day it is the exact same bulb.

It does not work for everybody, and I have seen some on sale on buyandsell. Since you only use it for short times the bulbs should not be worn out on ones sold second hand, a new bulb is €50 including delivery. If somebody was selling it secondhand it probably had no use as nobody would get rid of it if it did work! unless they wanted to upgrade to a bigger sunbed type model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

My daughter suffered with an awful scalp condition for years. Her head under her hair was covered in small, very itchy scabs which lifted off very easily leaving a raw patch behind. It wasn't diagnosed as psoriasis but as a non-specific dermatitis/dandruff problem and we went through all the cold tar and Nizoral type shampoos which never ever worked. I picked up a Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment shampoo in Boots and after the first use her scabs disappeared completely. She doesn't use it all the time now, just when her scalp starts getting itchy and flaky. I don't know would it work for Psoriasis but it would be worth a try. The only place I could ever source it was in Boots and it seems to come only in the larger 400ml bottle.

http://www.headandshoulders.com/en-US/product/intensive-treatment-shampoo.jspx

Ive seen this Head and Shoulders in Boots but normal Head and Shoulders made my scalp feel really tight and itchy. Im tempted to try this one though cause nothing is working at the moment.

rubadub wrote: »

Yeah, but like everything it only worked for a while then stopped!

Have you had experience of uvb treatment? I'd be interested to know.

That sounds like he only tried it for a while, stopped and then it came back (which I would expect) -or did he in fact keep using it and found it stopped after a while even while using it?

Most people get UVB treatments in hospitals, they have to arrange sessions and go visit, which can be expensive and an inconvenience. The studies and articles I read would say home treatment is just as effective if not better -since there is no stress/hassle involved with having to go to the hospital.

Most forums I read had home users saying they treated themselves for several months, were "cured" and then just topped up now and again if they felt or saw a new flare up, it is not an absolute cure I don't think there ever will be one. For hospital goers I don't think it is as easy as just popping in for a quick single top up -they prescribe sessions and doctors treat it very seriously as it does cost a lot to implement -it could be cheaper for THEM to have you on creams (and the return business), home use is cheaper since you are not paying for a qualified professional to watch over you, all you need is a light, a timer, glasses and common sense.

I presume that I will have to continue using the light as I (and plenty others) think it is mainly down to a vitamin D deficiency, and once you take away the vitamin D (produced by the body after exposure to UVB) then you will get a reoccurrence of psoriasis. In my searches I found numerous anecdotes of people living in new sunnier countries who were cured just by more sun exposure. In this day & age people are petrified of the sun, you get sunblock in make up and everything. Some doctors would put down many autoimmune diseases and other conditions to the severe lack of vitamin D. The only way I could imagine me having a "cure" is living in a different country with sufficient sun exposure.

I found these articles on sunbathing and vitamin D.
    http://www.healthresearchforum.org.uk/reports.html
    The SunSafe Advice – Safe and Smart
    1. Sunbathe safely without burning – every day if you can.
    2.The middle of the day is a good time for sunbathing in the UK.
    3. Start by sunbathing for 2-3 minutes each side. Gradually increase from
    day to day.
    4.Don’t use sun screen while sunbathing.
    5. If feeling hot or uncomfortable expose a different area, cover up, move
    into the shade – or use sun screen.
    6.When abroad, where the sun is generally stronger, expose yourself for
    shorter times until you find out how much is safe.
    7. Children benefit from sun exposure, but need guidance.
    8.A tan is natural and is generally associated with good health.
    In those articles you will see that children in scotland are getting rickets due to lack of sun, and in other threads people said it is happening here too.

Many people and doctors also fear/caution against over exposure to UVB as a cause of skin cancer, however many reports say there is no real risk, in fact some say the increased benefit of the vitamin D could help prevent cancer. One risk of UVB is on male genitals. For this reason it is advised to only use it when needed, i.e. topups, also means you have to dedicate less time to it, not that it is difficult or anything, I just do it watching TV.

I treat myself once or twice a week now max, I also went several weeks with no light. I have had it since mid May and I think a usual prescribed hospital course is around 4-6months. I am a heavy drinker which causes flare ups, I expect if I was a moderate drinker I would not need nearly as many "topups". I still have coal tar shampoos and it is meant to make the skin more sensitive to UVB (in a good way), I must try using them again.

You can search for studies here
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=uvb+psoriasis&hl=en&btnG=Search&as_sdt=2001&as_sdtp=on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I have this condition for over 30 years. It is a nervous condition, where the CNS seems to not get the correct nerve signals to tell it skin repair is complete. No amount of applications, creams, etc. will cure it. It's important to recognise the triggers and amplifiers for the condition, and live with it.

I cured mine with a cream I got from ebay. Nothing else worked, it always came back. I have no idea what was in it, but it worked and the psoriasis has not returned. Has anyone else here tried the stuff? It is called 'magicream'

A google will bring up a site that sells it. Seriously worth a go. I aint shilling btw :)

You cured it? You cant cure it, just control it! I must look up that magic cream though :D I got a tar-cream in america a few years back, found it really good for a while, but like everything else it stops working, It was called MG217.

And the UBV lights only worked for a while for my father and then stopped giving him the results. I havent tried it, as my Psoriasis is very mild,I just have 2 small patches on my knees, and behind my ears and inside my ears, Ive just changed to Dobovex now from Dobovet.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi all,
    Haven't been here for a while, but have psoriasis (amongst other things) for over 20 years (at worst about 75% covered and at best almost clear) and have gone through all the conventional medications and treatments, and some unconventional ones over the years.
    There is no cure, just control. A few answers to some of the issues I've seen on here:
    Scalp - the shampoo I find works for me is Stieprox or Stiepox, not sure if you can get it over the counter, I have it on prescription.
    UV - tried this in waterford Hospital years ago - twice a week for four months - sit in a bath for 10 mins then into a UV cubicle for various periods (minutes) - then avoid any direct sunshine for a few hours as your skin is still sensitive to light. I was almost clear for about 4 months after this and then it started to reappear.
    Dovenex/Dovabet - not sure which is which but the red one has a steroid in it and is used uinitially to clear away the flakes, then the blue one keeps things under control - effective but messy, great for small areas.
    Aquaus cream - good for moisturising the dry areas
    Emulsifying cream - messy but good for moisturising the dry areas - after applying you can cover the area with that cellophane used for sealing food (can't think of its name), it helps it absord into the skin and prevents it rubbing off, but you will get hot!
    Most of the creams on Ebay etc have a strong vasoline type base, and in my opinion anything that with that type of lubrication is going to help the condition anyway.
    I've been on biologics for several years Enbrel/Humira and have had three years clear, and am currently switching meds, and am dealing with a major outbreak but confident it will come under control.
    If anyone wants more info give me a shout, I've been there and keep returning!

• Advertisement

bravo wrote: »
    Scalp - the shampoo I find works for me is Stieprox or Stiepox, not sure if you can get it over the counter, I have it on prescription.
    It is Stieprox which contains Ciclopirox Olamine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciclopirox
    My mate gave me a little and it worked quite well for me, I thought it was a steroid but it is antifungal. It is prescription only and quite expensive.
    UV - tried this in waterford Hospital years ago - twice a week for four months - sit in a bath for 10 mins then into a UV cubicle for various periods (minutes) - then avoid any direct sunshine for a few hours as your skin is still sensitive to light. I was almost clear for about 4 months after this and then it started to reappear.
    What was in the bath? just water? I know the tar is meant to make you more sensitive, it is also best to "descale" before the UVB. I got polytar emollient which is very strong and meant to be added to a bath. I have put it on neat for short times, I have heard talk of cancer risk with tar and heard many say it is a minimal risk (I cannot think of a single thing that has not had some cancer scare!;))
    http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/polytar-emollient_1_9820.html

I would expect it to reappear, did you think of doing it again, or were you allowed? If I had it all over I would get my own big bed, I heard of guys using old sunbeds and getting the special bulbs, many selling psoriasis sunbeds just charge a fortune with no justification -really screwing people over.
    UBV lights only worked for a while for my father and then stopped giving him the results. I havent tried it, as my Psoriasis is very mild,I just have 2 small patches on my knees, and behind my ears and inside my ears, Ive just changed to Dobovex now from Dobovet.
    Did he actually own a light? I have not heard of people having ongoing UVB in a hospital, so if he was in a hospital did he stop getting results before his prescribed course was even finished?

I have read many sites saying to avoid steroid creams like the plague, that if you have used them in the past the UVB will not be as effective and after treatment it is more likely to reappear sooner, and requiring more UVB "top ups". I am glad I have only used steroid creams very sparingly, I had dermovate left over as a kid which was for dermatitis on my feet, I only used it a few times and it worked. They seem to make a really big deal out of UVB like its a complete last resort, when I think it should be the first port of call and the steroid creams should be viewed as the last resort.
    after applying you can cover the area with that cellophane used for sealing food (can't think of its name), it helps it absord into the skin and prevents it rubbing off
    I have used simple vegetable oil on my scalp, some sites say to avoid petroleum based oil like baby oil. I nick those meat plastic bags at the butchers counter which are a perfect size for my head! I leave it on overnight, and put an old t-shirt on the pillow incase it slips off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can someone recommend a GP in south Dublin that will not just prescribe a cream like he would any other patient - but perhaps look for an underlying problem. Not sure if i've got psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. In my opinion its clearly an internal problem, but what i don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi Rubadub,
    Used a mousse for the scalp as well and it worked, betamousse I think, but probably had a steroid in it.
    The UV bath has a chemical in it which makes your skin more sensitive to light and helps descale before the UV chamber. Dr. said at the time the full course of the treatment would have been similar to two weeks in the sun. And it could be repeated but not immediately. That was years ago.
    There were rumours some years ago that if you lived in Scandanavian countries and were diagnosed with psoriasis, your doctor could prescribe a sun holiday paid for by the state - not sure if it was true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

hi all

does anyone on here have facial psoriasis

its the only place i get it, i used to have it on the scalp and every now and then i get it on the outline of hair but thats when hair is overdue a haircut

i found using Eucerin moisturizer great. it worked for 1 year and i was completly clear. it stopped working though. ive since been using a different eucerin moisterizer seems to only work on and off i currently have a flair up and been using it and its not helping.

just wish i could find another moisterizer that works well.. i know their out their just cant go through all diff ones like the last time. its really annoying trying new products.

anybody any suggestions? i wash my face aqueaous cream whch is briallint. it always helps and soothes the skin and gets rid of any itchyness or soreness, its just a new moisterizer i need.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

Hi Rubadub,
    Used a mousse for the scalp as well and it worked, betamousse I think, but probably had a steroid in it.
    The UV bath has a chemical in it which makes your skin more sensitive to light and helps descale before the UV chamber. Dr. said at the time the full course of the treatment would have been similar to two weeks in the sun. And it could be repeated but not immediately. That was years ago.
    There were rumours some years ago that if you lived in Scandanavian countries and were diagnosed with psoriasis, your doctor could prescribe a sun holiday paid for by the state - not sure if it was true!

Wouldn't that be a novel idea?

You cured it? You cant cure it, just control it! I must look up that magic cream though :D

I had a really nasty patch on my ankle for ages that was getting bigger and bigger. I tried steroids from the doc, various creams and all that but it always came back worse than before.

I came across the magicream on ebay and gave it a go. After 1 week it was almost gone, and after about a month there was almost no trace of the psoriasis. That was around 2 years ago, and there is no sign of it returning.

http://www.magicream123.com/ is the site, it doesnt seem to be available on ebay anymore. 1 little pot was more than enough to clear a 5cm diameter patch on my ankle. I can't believe nobody else has tried it. Maybe it was just a fluke that it worked for me?

I had a really nasty patch on my ankle for ages that was getting bigger and bigger. I tried steroids from the doc, various creams and all that but it always came back worse than before.

I came across the magicream on ebay and gave it a go. After 1 week it was almost gone, and after about a month there was almost no trace of the psoriasis. That was around 2 years ago, and there is no sign of it returning.

http://www.magicream123.com/ is the site, it doesnt seem to be available on ebay anymore. 1 little pot was more than enough to clear a 5cm diameter patch on my ankle. I can't believe nobody else has tried it. Maybe it was just a fluke that it worked for me?

All due respect to you darkmaster 2 but your previous ailment does'nt indicate psoriasis, lucky you.

seensensee wrote: »
    All due respect to you darkmaster 2 but your previous ailment does'nt indicate psoriasis, lucky you.

Why do you say that?
    My GP decided otherwise and medicated me accordingly.

Is it not possible for psoriasis to clear up for a couple of years?

Why do you say that?
    My GP decided otherwise and medicated me accordingly.

Is it not possible for psoriasis to clear up for a couple of years?

Pardon me, I am unfamiliar with your situation except to visualise 1 patch on your ankle, it's not typical of the psoriasis I know.

I had a look at the website, wow, only £5.99 for a tub, tbh if the cream cleared up my psoriasis for years at a time I would pay £1000's

Cheers.

• Advertisement

I am rather skeptical of wonder cures for psoriasis. Herbal creams? I always imagine (paranoia) some dodgy chemist adding steroids to the mix, but just stumbled upon a scientific study which suggests that some natural remedies are effective...

"Syed and colleagues (1996) conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled study on 60 patients with psoriasis with slight-to-moderate plaque-type psoriasis (Psoriasis Area and Severity Index 4.8-16.7) and an average 8.5 year duration of their disease. Patients self-administered topical aloe vera extract 0.5% cream or vehicle placebo three times a day without occlusion for 4 weeks to their psoriatic plaques. Notably, the aloe group showed significantly higher rates of clearing the psoriatic plaques in 25/30 patients (83.3%) when compared to the placebo in 2/30 patients (6.6%) (p<0.001). Additionally, there were no relapses during the 8-month followup period."
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/567028_2

A really interesting article, it mentions problems with the liver.

Advertisement