Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running PSO games on the Station2.

• 31-05-2002 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Just wondering...
    Is there PSO hardware within the Playstation2 or is the PSO emulated in software or again, is the PS2 hardware backward compatible?

Was playing a little F1 97 this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Its software emulated as far as I know, hence some of the games there were developed without the Sony SDK not running on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

as far as i know there is a r3000 mips processor in a ps2. this was also the cpu in the original psx. so logically the backwards compatability comes from using this processor to run the old psx games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm fairly sure that each PS2 contains the psx chipset, but thanks to smaller die sizes is much much smaller*

* I'm only "fairly" sure in case Shinji reads this and feels the urge to correct me. If he wasn't here I'd be like 100% sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the psOne processor is actually the communications chip (like north bridge in pc) for the ps2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i thought it was backwards compatible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yep Astrofool - the PSone R3000 chip forms the IOP (Input Output Processor) on the PS2 motherboard. The PSone Graphics Synthesiser and other chips are also there, but the IOP is the only one that can actually be used by the PS2 - the others only kick in when you boot a PSone game in the system.

It's *currently* hardware emulation. The reason you can't use the PSone GS and whatnot is because Sony keeps muttering about how later revisions of the PS2 may change this over to software emulation. I think they have the whole lot on a single chip already, similar to how they integrated the EE and GS on the PS2 mainboard late last year...

Advertisement