Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

who lies on the internet?

• 29-07-2009 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

how many of you lie about stuff about you on the internet and how many of you find it gives you the freedom to say what you want?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I dont lie but sometimes i mislead the truth on the internet:D And it does give you extra freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't lie. I really am the pope. I just don't brag because of the whole down with catholic religion thing going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I put on my wizard hat and robe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I do, I am not actually living in the states at all. I'm on the dole and living in Leitrim*.

*may be a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some will tell a little , some a lot and some insist you must know everything about them .But nobody is obliged to tell anybody anything about themselfs on the web and you only tell people what you wish them to know .Some people will tell lies to protect themselfs ,others will just be habitual liars who may even believe there own lies .White lies sometimes have to be told ,just to escape explaining long boring details but everybody will do this up to a point .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stormymay

Ruu wrote: »
    I do, I am not actually living in the states at all. I'm on the dole and living in Leitrim*.

*may be a lie.

ha. i love it.

i just find that sometimes, on the internet, its both very easy to slip a lie in here and there, but at the same time you can be brutally honest because nobody knows who you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I really only have 3 days left till retirement.
    MEEEENDOOOSSSAAAA!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm not funny in real life so when I'm hilarious on the internet it's a bit of a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Relative anonymity gives me the feedom to express my views that I may not wish to voice IRL for various reasons.

Why would you lie to a bunch of people on the internet who you'll never even meet? To impress them? To gain sympathy? Why? It's the net...no-one gives a f*ck who you are once they wander off to the next piece of cyber amusement...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im really honest on the internet actually
    Really should take advantage of the anonymity more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm actually exactly the same on here as I am in real life to be honest (though maybe more witty?.. damn not getting thanks in real life)

People tell me I'm too honest (in a bad way :P - "You don't care what you say, you say what you think" etc.) so I can't really be more free on here, and I don't really like lying just for the sake of it.

I do think things like MSN/Any other IM give you more freedom to be completely honest.. it's easier to say how you really feel if it's not face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

brummytom wrote: »
    I do think things like MSN/Any other IM give you more freedom to be completely honest.. it's easier to say how you really feel if it's not face to face
    And then pretend youre drunk :p

And then pretend youre drunk :p

Well.. yeah :P
    Only if I've made a bollix of myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sometimes I lie, sometimed I sit

'' The truth ?... The truth ...? you can't handle the Truth ''

Jack Nicholson - A Few Good Men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

stormymay wrote: »
    how many of you lie about stuff about you on the internet and how many of you find it gives you the freedom to say what you want?

Everybody.
    Everybody lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ok ok. I wasn't really the milky bar kid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok, fair enough, time to fess up, I am actually a bloke...

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »

God this place confuses the **** out of me

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ah we knew that ages ago .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I admit it, I'm not really a Cuban dictator

My real motto is Patria O Muerte O whatever you're having yourself

brummytom wrote: »
    God this place confuses the **** out of me
    It doesn't get any better ....well maybe a little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

i lie, or do i???

*cue dun dun duuuuun sound effect*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I like to write sincere and heartfelt emails to loved ones, whilst pooing.

Sullying things makes them funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The internet is a cesspool of lies and deciete, the person you are talking to could very well be a psychotic murderer who has murdered many people. But from what you get from him/her is that he/she is a prest who gives to charity and is a kind gentle soul. So in answer to your question OP, yes I do lie on the internet but you'd be hard done to find someone who dosen't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Ruu wrote: »

*may be a lie.

I knew it was a lie the minute you mentioned Leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Bob Z wrote: »
    I knew it was a lie the minute you mentioned Leitrim

So you only knew it was a lie at the end. That's not really that impressive. If you'd known it was a lie when he mentioned 'knew' then I'd be impressed.

Actually no I wouldn't.

That was a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So you only knew it was a lie at the end. That's not really that impressive. If you'd known it was a lie when he mentioned 'knew' then I'd be impressed.

Actually no I wouldn't.

That was a lie.

ell when he said he lived in Leitrim...we all know no one lives in Leitrim

Advertisement