Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America Travel on Irish Passport with less than 6 months valid

• 12-08-2014 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I intend to travel to South America in late September/October this year. I want to do the Inca trail mainly and then probably visit more countries before flying home.
    My problem is that my passport expires in early March next year so 6 months will be from early October.

Does anyone know if there is a list of South American countries:

1. That require passports to have 6 months or more before expiry?
    2. That require only a valid passport for travel?
    3. Or is it at the discretion of the airline to allow you to travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Get a new passport. There's no reason to take the risk - look how much your airfare costs compared to the cost of a new passport. The passport office will understand, they see this all the time.

Argentina, Paraguay and Ecuador all enforce the 6 month rule. https://fastportpassport.com/blog/countries-requiring-six-months-passport-validity

The airline probably won't enforce the 6 month rule, but you may have difficulty buying or using a one-way ticket unless you have proof-of-return because they will be fined if you overstay your visa.

Advertisement