Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlemartyr Resort

• 27-02-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi all, due to play Castlemartyr shortly. Anyone play it recently and what should I expect :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Played b4 christmas and it was in good nick as always. The course drains really well and is rarely very wet underfoot. Distance wise it is quite manageable for higher handicappers with three very shorts par 4's. Having said that it doesn't guarantee a good score! Pins can be tucked away. They have a nice pin placement guide on the scorecard. Rough is cut back so easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

peepee wrote: »
    Played b4 christmas and it was in good nick as always. The course drains really well and is rarely very wet underfoot. Distance wise it is quite manageable for higher handicappers with three very shorts par 4's. Having said that it doesn't guarantee a good score! Pins can be tucked away. They have a nice pin placement guide on the scorecard. Rough is cut back so easy to find.

Excellent, sounds like its fair enough. We are having an outing there so mix of all handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

When is the outing? I'm playing there Friday week for the first time so could report back if you're not going there until after?

When is the outing? I'm playing there Friday week for the first time so could report back if you're not going there until after?

Playing there end of next month now. Had to change dates.

I'll report back to you so, bound to find a few places that should be avoided!

• Advertisement

I'll report back to you so, bound to find a few places that should be avoided!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Hoping to play Castlemartyr this coming weekend so will also report back should I get out. I enjoy the course a lot as it is very forgiving for a high handicapper like me and gives me chances for birdies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I've played there twice (once off whites, once off blues) and found it most enjoyable both times. Really liked the undulating fairways and the condition was top notch.

The back nine is FAR more difficult that the front nine with quite a few long par 4s

ssbob wrote: »
    Hoping to play Castlemartyr this coming weekend so will also report back should I get out. I enjoy the course a lot as it is very forgiving for a high handicapper like me and gives me chances for birdies:D

How was it? How did it go?

jtown wrote: »
    How was it? How did it go?

It didn't go due to technical difficulties at home with the Mrs......next week for definite

• Advertisement

Playing there on the 24th if anybody has played it recently. How was it?

It didn't go due to technical difficulties at home with the Mrs......next week for definite

Did you manage to make it?

Did you manage to make it?

Ya played it yesterday, in great nick, the good weather helped, pity my bad play didn't help. I really like the course.

Ya played it yesterday, in great nick, the good weather helped, pity my bad play didn't help. I really like the course.

So its in good nick.. that's good to hear. Is the course long/ hard?

So its in good nick.. that's good to hear. Is the course long/ hard?

Straight up Par 72 course, some holes are long but there are a number of short(maybe driveable par 4's), Par 3's are a good test in that they are fair but hit a bad shot and it is hard to get out of the rough, some gorse also in play. Fairways are generous also. It's not a pushover by any means but it allows handicaps of all ranges to give it a go.

Whats your handicap?

Straight up Par 72 course, some holes are long but there are a number of short(maybe driveable par 4's), Par 3's are a good test in that they are fair but hit a bad shot and it is hard to get out of the rough, some gorse also in play. Fairways are generous also. It's not a pushover by any means but it allows handicaps of all ranges to give it a go.

Whats your handicap?

Playing off 9 - We are having a Society outing there on the 24th. Should be good so. Would it be as hard of Dromoland?

Playing off 9 - We are having a Society outing there on the 24th. Should be good so. Would it be as hard of Dromoland?

Haven't played Dromoland but know they are(were) both owned by the same company(people), the difference is Castlemartyr is an "inland links" style course so it is very open but doesn't have the winds to make it very hard.

You should have no probs playing to your handicap there. Play the Par 5's as par 5's though, greens are small targets.

We played there on Sat.. course in good condition, enjoyed the from 9 however we were playing off the blues for some reason. 50% of the society didn't enjoy it as was too hard. Par 3 off the blues are too long.. woods into them like!

The greens were pretty good however the starter said pins hadn't been move since Thursday so were worn around them. Someone said 170 people played on Sat alone.

We played there on Sat.. course in good condition, enjoyed the from 9 however we were playing off the blues for some reason. 50% of the society didn't enjoy it as was too hard. Par 3 off the blues are too long.. woods into them like!

The greens were pretty good however the starter said pins hadn't been move since Thursday so were worn around them. Someone said 170 people played on Sat alone.

Can't imagine why you would be playing off the blues.......was this requested by the society? Unless they are trying to give the impression that this is a tough course which it is not from the whites.....

You score well yourself?

Can't imagine why you would be playing off the blues.......was this requested by the society? Unless they are trying to give the impression that this is a tough course which it is not from the whites.....

You score well yourself?

No, I would have make the booking. Unless the society out before us requested it. Lot of people not happy with it. Played okay myself - has 32 points. 37 won the outing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Anyone interested in playing this in the morning? Open off the blues.

Am playing Muskerry open in the morning, wouldn't mind a shot off this again in the near future though.

When I played last time my driving was too wayward and I kept going into the furze. On the seventh I got the weirdest par of my life as I drive into the furze, took an unplayable and put my third into the bunker but somehow chipped in from there.

Played it on Sunday, place was in great condition, got away with murder on a few holes with some very bad drives, pity the rest of my play couldn't match it!

Take iron off the tee at the 4th, not worth all the Out of bounds!!!

Bunkers were in great condition aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

Played it on Sunday, place was in great condition, got away with murder on a few holes with some very bad drives, pity the rest of my play couldn't match it!

Take iron off the tee at the 4th, not worth all the Out of bounds!!!

Bunkers were in great condition aswell.
    Isn't the 4th a par 5? you must be a huge hitter.

MP62 wrote: »
    Isn't the 4th a par 5? you must be a huge hitter.

Ya Par 5, but Out of bounds left and right, an iron would take all of that out of play or 3 wood if you are confident with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

Ya Par 5, but Out of bounds left and right, an iron would take all of that out of play or 3 wood if you are confident with it?
    I've only played the course once (about 3 years ago), but I don't recall OOB left, is that internal and new?, either way it's a strange way to play the hole so early in the round unless you're a very long hitter and can still reach in 2.
    I could understand taking the conservative approach if you were protecting a one shot lead on the 72nd hole of a major and par would give you victory, other than that it's just weird.

I've only played the course once (about 3 years ago), but I don't recall OOB left, is that internal and new?, either way it's a strange way to play the hole so early in the round unless you're a very long hitter and can still reach in 2.
    I could understand taking the conservative approach if you were protecting a one shot lead on the 72nd hole of a major and par would give you victory, other than that it's just weird.

Ya the left OOB is internal and new in the last year due to guys cutting off the dogleg by going over the Par 3 3rd tee box therefore very dangerous.

I should take a conservative approach there due to my stupid slice and sometimes hook:D Probably a green I could reach on a good day but there is an awful lot of trouble around the green aswell for the wayward shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I find your thinking on this weird. So just because its early in the round a high handicapper should go for the green in 2 with OOB in play off the tee ?

He's got a shot on the hole so why go for it in 2 at all ? Grand if its a fun round and you just want to enjoy it but if you want to score this seems weird to me.

I'd say Greebo will lose his life if he reads your comment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

The way ssbob has suggested is a very sensible play on that hole. I'm off 6 and I wouldnt be going for that in 2. Too much risk to take driver. A high handicapper should make use of their shot on a hole like that. Walking off with a 6 would be no harm done but put it out of bounds off tee & you're throwing away points

• Advertisement

aster99 wrote: »
    The way ssbob has suggested is a very sensible play on that hole. I'm off 6 and I wouldnt be going for that in 2. Too much risk to take driver. A high handicapper should make use of their shot on a hole like that. Walking off with a 6 would be no harm done but put it out of bounds off tee & you're throwing away points

That's what happened me Sunday, hit 2 out of bounds before I found the fw with my 3rd, laid up to 100 yards then with a rescue club......luckily it was a casual round but going back there again I will be playing safe off the tee.

Are the open's always off the blues down there?

Advertisement