Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

College bar getting expensive?

• 19-09-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Just the other day, I got a pizza and a pint for somewhere between 12 and 13 euros.

All the pizza deals have vanished, and the price of a pizza alone has gone up to around 7 or 8 euro.

Last year, you could get a pizza, can of coke and a portion of wedges for around 7 euro if I recall correctly.

I think it's 3 euro for a portion of wedges as well.

I understand that prices have to go up, but that's an extortionate increase!

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Wasn't the College Bar in serious financial difficulty forcing them to raise their prices?
    Last thing we need is for it to end up like the UCD bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What happened the UCD bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lapin wrote: »
    What happened the UCD bar?

It ran out of money and I think had to close for a good while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ah, good.

Its an aim of mine to have a drink in every college bar in the country while I'm a student in NUIG.

For research like.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Lockstep wrote: »
    Wasn't the College Bar in serious financial difficulty forcing them to raise their prices?

Where did you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Lockstep wrote: »
    Cathalog wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?
    The two aren't directly related. SU Commercial services lost a lot of money over the course of a few years when people no longer had money. The end result of that was that a couple of years ago they make a number of staff members including senior management redundant to reduce the cost base significantly. Any price increases are likely because the old prices were deemed unviable/unprofitable rather than the previous problems. The bar has always made a loss it's always been a question of how small it can be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I used to be in there every single day last year. Not anymore. It's gotten crazy expensive and the food is noticeably poorer.

Last year I actually noticed the standard steadily declining, it's at a point now where I won't bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I used to be in there every single day last year. Not anymore. It's gotten crazy expensive and the food is noticeably poorer.

Last year I actually noticed the standard steadily declining, it's at a point now where I won't bother with it.

The standard's been slipping for a few years, actually. They used to rival Moffetts' for quality but now they're on par with the Bialann. Once they brought in €5 for basic carvery and chips/spuds for extra was really when it started to go downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

wmirl wrote: »
    The standard's been slipping for a few years, actually. They used to rival Moffetts' for quality but now they're on par with the Bialann. Once they brought in €5 for basic carvery and chips/spuds for extra was really when it started to go downhill.

This. The catering staff in there are not in the slightest bit friendly and seem to hate their jobs, to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Never bothered with the food in there, only thing I noticed is that they don't do 3 euro wednesdays anymore :(

Still though, id rather pay a bit more for my drinks than have no college bar at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

MadYaker wrote: »
    Never bothered with the food in there, only thing I noticed is that they don't do 3 euro wednesdays anymore :(

Still though, id rather pay a bit more for my drinks than have no college bar at all.

Is it 3.50 now ?

Advertisement