Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone *not* seen LOTR?

• 04-03-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has not actually seen any of the Lord of The Rings films?
    I haven't, and my mates never let me hear the end of it. I read a couple of the books when I was younger and hated them. I've seen loads of trailers for the films and haven't been tempted to see them at all.. It's not a genre of film I take much interest in, and I don't particularly want to sit through 3 hours of film if I'm not interested in it, just so i can say I've seen them..

Anyone else?

Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you are not alone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

seen the first two, but walked out of the cinema halfway through the third. haven't seen the rest yet, and I don't plan to in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has not actually seen any of the Lord of The Rings films?

I haven't. What are they about? Olympics? Tap Dancing?

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its your loss guys. But turn that frown upside-down - why don't you form a club. Then give each-other reach arounds all the while listening to Steps greatest-hits on your cassette-boombox, and don't forget to stick the tongues of your sneakers out.

hey man, don't get sarcy with me because they're not great films.

I don't like star wars either... burn me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Seen the first one, got bored quick with the second, no intention to see the third

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have the boxset, but i have been waiting for the right home cinema system to come around before i look at them. I've bought a Sony DAV-SR1 recently, so it won't be long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its your loss guys. But turn that frown upside-down - why don't you form a club. Then give each-other reach arounds all the while listening to Steps greatest-hits on your cassette-boombox, and don't forget to stick the tongues of your sneakers out.

Why.. is that what LOTR fans do?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have to agree with Mordeth, they're not great films. I've only seen the Two towers or whatever it's called. Didn't like it. I also don't like Star Wars films. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

BaZmO* wrote:
    I haven't. What are they about? Olympics? Tap Dancing?

B.

it's the second part of Lord of the dance,
    Micheal Flatley without makeup, I think they called him Cave troll or something in the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Saw the first two. Found them a tad boring tbh, and I love that medievil esque epic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They're good, but I don't really want to watch them again. Personally I think they're actually a bit overrated. I watched the third one again when it came out on DVD and fell asleep, couldn't be bothered watch the rest of it again...
    I wouldn't say they're bad films by any means, but they are a bit overrated and definitely not that rewatchable, for me anyway.

pfft, You aren't part of LOTR - who the hell are you to ask questions that were answered at the meets?

You seem to underestimate the value to people to be able to say "The LOTR logo was designed by me" (which will be acknowledged on the site - just like Ewing's Tux).

Thanks to your exceptionally well timed nastiness, you have potentially caused massive loss to LOTR. Not surprising, since you have not attended LOTR meets, do not participate in anything, and all you do is criticize things you do not understand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

you're all freaks!
    that's all I have to say
    freaks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blasphemers and Heretics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tranzz

I haven't, I read the first book and got about half way through the second book and had to quit before I topped myself. What a complete load of ****E half the volume of the book is made up of crap songs and poems I just couldn't go on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Mordeth wrote:
    seen the first two, but walked out of the cinema halfway through the third. haven't seen the rest yet, and I don't plan to in the next 5 years.

i would be in the same boat here . i think the third one sucked totally .

i thought it was like watching dracula after they left england . instead of telling the story of the chase they just cut a load out of the story and showed drac dieing .

bah ... so rushed .. no sign of a timeline

hey now, the books are ****ing works of art.

no 'a Song of Ice and Fire' by any stretch of the imagination but still good, and a very detailed universe. If you're into that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

elexes wrote:
    bah ... so rushed .. no sign of a timeline

You're calling 12 hours "rushed"? LOL.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They are decent films, and normally this genre would be one I would have very little interest in. The first one was by far the best though, and although they are all watchable, they went downhill from the first one.

All in all though, if you haven't seen them, get around to it! Perhaps not the greatest films of all time but certainly good entertainment, and they have some great battle scenes as well, particularly in the Two Toweres and Return of the King.

One of those movies EVERYONES gotta watch at least once! Kinda like Star Wars....which I also love! (Not the new movies though, not impressed with them)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've never seen any LOTR films nor will I.

My mind is unscathed!

I have never been accused even by the Kerala/Chennai brigade of any of these accusations you made. Thanks for showing me where I stand with my own people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Since the days of deno, your approach has been nothing but destructive.
    All you do is question any form of perceived authority,
    thereby hurting other people. No wonder you can't be in any one place for very long.

Can you please leave us alone? This is something we have built, and are proud of. The people who participate in the events we organise (and often pay for from our own pockets) enjoy them, and are proud of them. Why the FÚCK do you twerps like you come along and question things you do not understand, largely because you never tried to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

They're alright but nothing special really. Both Elijah Wood and the bloke who plays Sam put in terrible performances and the scripting is poor in general, some of the attempts at humour are cringeworthy.

I enjoyed them to a certain extent but over all I think they are a bit of a missed opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I haven't seen them either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

Do I hear blasphemy against the good name of Jackson and co??

This deserves ethnic cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The books are classic - yes he goes on **far too much** with poems and songs but you have to take into consideration Tolkien's background and when they were written ( 1930-50's ) as the books progress he cuts down on the songs and rubbish and starts to get BIBLICAL ( on your ass motherfunker! ). The films are good the last one thought compared to the book is horrid! Lots has been cut out and changed and it just feels disjointed and messy. I hope the EE fixes that because it was such a disappointment ( I have the EE I'll watch it when I get the time :) )

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

simu wrote:
    I've never seen any LOTR films nor will I.

My mind is unscathed!

Oh, how I envy you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not seen the films, nor read the books. Not reading the books was the reason for not seeing the film. I hinted I wanted the books for Christmas, but they never materialised.

Advertisement