Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish petrol

• 14-06-2014 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Is it the same as UK petrol? I got nearly 30 mpg out of the Camper in the UK vs just over 20 here (250 miles per tank vs 200)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

corktina wrote: »
    Is it the same as UK petrol? I got nearly 30 mpg out of the Camper in the UK vs just over 20 here (250 miles per tank vs 200)
    had a similar experience years ago,i thought it was just me,but seeing as you have mentioned it then maybe not,may be to do with the additives they put in it???

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Funny you asked.

I just logged in to ask about others experience with Irish petrol.

My problem is - on one of previous cars I could hear slight detonation knock now and then and it wasn't boosting all the way. (Saab 9-5 Aero)

Today I was driving with the window open and every time I would accelerate, I could hear the detonation knock again. Only couple of quick knocks, before the ECU adjusts the timing, but every time I would press the pedal. (Alfa 147)

I recognize the sound perfectly as back home, when the Soviets collapsed and we were all still driving Ladas, there was a shortage of RON95, but RON76 was easily obtained. We kept using it but had to keep listening for detonation under a load and ease off the pedal every time.

So I think there is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Very possible there are different regulations with regards to additives etc.

On the continent they have different grades on offer at most gas stations. You can get super plus this and that and pay up to 1.80 a litre nearly if you think your car is worth it. I'd wager here its the cheapest stuff possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've a feeling it's more to do with the roads (and slightly slower speed limits) than the fuel. Found the same with my 320d when over there, I got 720 miles out of a tank, it's rare I'd get over 620 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's not that...I was around rural Wales all week on roads comparable to our own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ei9go

Drove from Calais to Rotterdam recently, filled up in Delpht , brimmed it and brimmed it again in Carrefour in Calais on the way back. Got 5.7L per 100 km whereas the the car is doing 6.1L over it's life.

I thought it was because there were no hills in the Netherlands but maybe it's the petrol.

Incidentally 95 is about 1.82 a litre in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Our petrol is crap. We have no Super/Premium here so for turbo petrol or highly tuned cars we're a bit screwed, unfortunately.

there was super available there, but I only used the bog standard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

corktina wrote: »

I'd say your calculations might have something to do with it.

In MPG you did about 45% better, in miles you did 25% better. Something doesn't add up. :)

I'm a lover not a Mathematician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

More power locked up in some fuels
    No changes had been made to the engine or the car other than adjustments to the timing and air fuel ratios.
    The car's lap times dropped by 2 seconds (Sandown Raceway).

http://www.racefuels.com.au/dynoDetail.asp?ID=9

Advertisement