Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health screening - is it value in it?

• 05-09-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

A health screening programme is being offered in my workplace, at a discounted cost. They are offering 3 different options ranging from €42 for a 'cardiac wellness screening profile' that includes a Resting ECG to €130 for the platinum option which includes liver, kidney, cholesterol, diabetes, cardiac risk tests.

Has anyone had one done and do you think there's any benefit to them, or would I be better to ask my doctor about specific tests he would recommend, based on my medical history? I'm in good health as far as I know and there's no family history of disease associated with any of the above tests, other things like Alzheimers and breast cancer yes, but not those.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,075 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No harm in getting a full battery of blood tests even if you're a healthy individual. As you get past your late twenties doing a set of bloods and getting blood pressure, etc checked every couple of years is no harm and might highlight things you need to change.

You can do all this through your GP if you prefer mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Had it done before and it's good to get a full suite of tests done. A lot of them can be done through your GP though, as LuckyLloyd said.

They can also detect antibodies that would indicate if there is something to investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry to hijack your thread hollypink

But do blood tests include blood plaque checks ?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

RobAMerc wrote: »

Ta

There's no mention of blood plaque specifically - would it be called by another term? The only one that sounds similar is this one:
    Test name: Lipids / Cardiac Risk Tests: HDL Cholesterol,LDL Cholesterol, Total Cholesterol,Triglycerides

• Registered Users Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

RobAMerc wrote: »

Ta
    Some will. You'd have to ask whoever is carrying out the checks because they won't all provide the same level of checks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement