Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piezo pickups on electric guitars

• 07-05-2013 4:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I currently haul both an acoustic and an electric to gigs, which is fine most of the time but for support/short gigs I'dl ike to cut it down a bit.
    I like the look of the Godin electrics with piezo, as well as the crafter SA hybrids - does anyone here have any experience of playing these? Do you really get a decent acoustic tone from the Godin, and do you really electric guitar playability on the Crafter?
    I'm also tempted to try the Fishman piezo bridge on the electric to save me buying a whole new instrument.

I've seen the line 6 variax in operation and it sounds great, but they dont seem to do leftys. :(

Anyone any opinion on the merits of piezos on electrics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That Godin looks awesome! I've heard a few piezo's on semi hollowbodies and they sound pretty good to me... out of those two the godin looks like it would be a bit better

Not much experience with them since I play lefty myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

hmmmmm

Piezo bridge you say?

Here's Bill, my test bed strat.

Over the years it's had all sorts going on.... currently with a pair of Dimarzio PAF Pros with coil splitting.

I HAD a LR BAGGS Piezo bridge on, and discovered that the bog standard Artec piezo under a bone saddle worked just as well, in fact better, bacause I ran a preamp on the strap button to have two outputs so I could process seperately.

doesn't sound like a Martin Jumbo but it's a lot more acoustic sounding than a clean strat!

Picture260.jpg

I have another electric with a cheap ebay X bridge copy which works well, and a bass with a piezo bridge too......

But yeah, the variax and Pod XT LIVE combo is just so much simpler!

I hardly ever play either of the regular guitars since I got the variax.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Another option would be an acoustic simulator pedal, they do a decent enough job. I run mine with some reverb and chorus after it to get a better sound. It works best with a single coil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I've never been a fan of piezos on electrics or acoustics. They have a horrible, brittle pingy type sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Gerry Leonard gets a really nice sound from his piezo on his PRS. I remember him saying he used a wound G on the elctric to get a better acoustic sound too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I was at that Gerry thing too, that PRS was beautiful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Went for that Godin in the end, gassed for it for quite a while as I tried to get cash together. It had it's first outing at a gig tonight and it sounded great both as an acoustic and as an electric. Delighted with it.
    DSC_0049_zpsb4210306.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Beautiful, and a lefty too :)

Advertisement