Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

cocker5 wrote: »
    are you referring to the actual insulin pump or the continous glucose monitoring system?

as i can advise you on the price of EVO continous glucose monitoring system.

Only spotted this now-yes glucose monitoring. Many thanks.

Ok read the rest of the thread and it's all there. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Wish i knew all that about getting the pump via private consultations back in the days. Think It took me around 2-3 years to get mine in the public clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Sorry graflynn, my comment was meant a bit tongue in cheek and no offense intended. What time on the 11th is it and I will wander up for a look.

Many thanks for your info above, plenty to think about.

Don't worry, no offense taken. I have met people who are "the sufferers" :rolleyes:

We meet at 8pm - sometimes if there's going to be more than 10 of us I book an event room but mostly we're hanging out opposite reception. I usually put something with the word diabetes on it on the table so that people can find us. Hope you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

BTW

My husband is reading a book that is highly recommended called:

'Think like a pancreas '

by Gary scheiner

He's finding it excellent!! Really worth a read for anyone with type 1 !!

I agree, this is a really good book.

Another book I found helpful especially when making the transition to my pump was
    Insulin Pumping DeMystified

by Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer. It's out of stock in paperback in Easons but Amazon.co.uk have it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

hiya guys,

apologies in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong section..my girlfriend's daughter has type one diabetes and she was thinking about getting an assistance dog from Service Dogs Europe..i'm just wondering has anyone got a dog from this place for this reason and if so, how would they find them..thank in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Don't know if it's already been posted .

Potential diabetes 'cure' to end misery of insulin jabs

The British invention will transform the lives of millions who have to endure injections of insulin every day.

Health experts say that the artificial pancreas is as good as a cure because it means patients will no longer have to manage the condition themselves.

The wristwatch-size device is surgically implanted into the abdominal cavity and releases a precise amount of insulin into the bloodstream. Supplies are topped up via a short tube which passes through the skin.

Human trials are set to start in 2016 with the first implants taking place on the NHS within 10 years. Inventor Joan ­Taylor, 64, professor of pharmacy at De Montfort University, Leicester, said: “It works like a healthy pancreas should, regulating blood sugar by releasing just enough insulin into your bloodstream. You don’t need to fill it up every day, so avoid painful daily injections.

Full Story
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/455748/Potential-diabetes-cure-to-end-misery-of-insulin-jabs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The Economist Magazine have an interesting article on a new capsulated formula for insulin- which has a new coating to allow it commute the gastronintestinal tract to the small intestine where it would be absorbed through the wall of the small intestine. At present its only undergoing trials in rats- however the FDA have approved trials in other species, on the strength of the very favourable test results thus far. The problem encountered by most researchers who try formulating insulin in this manner- is that the acids of the stomach and upper GI tract, destroy the insulin- the perenial search has been for a coating of some type that would enable the insulin survive these conditions- while still enabling it be absorbed in the lower GI tract.

Unfortunately the article appears to be behind their paywall- I'll see if I can an abstract to post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Yakuza wrote: »

There's a quota of about 10 free articles on their site per month, most people should be able to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So a week and a half ago, I got a new pump! A minimed VEO pump, and continuous blood glucose monitor. And to say I'm blown away by it would be an understatement. The blood sugar monitoring is just blowing my mind, a blood test is taken every 5 minutes which builds up a complete image of what your blood sugars do on a typical day.

I think ill need some more time to write up a proper first impressions post, but so far so good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So me and the other halfs springer spaniel have an understanding that we'll just look at each other from opposite ends of the room and he won't jump up and down and bark at me, and I'll then not make a big robinph shaped hole in the wall as I run away screaming like a girl.

But yesterday, whilst stood around chatting at home with another friend who sometimes minds the dog, all of a sudden the dog comes in and sits down properly at my feet and just stares at me. This is a dog that never sits in the standard doggy sitting position as that is far too much like hard work. We all think this is a little odd, one of the other's pets him, he does a quick lap of the room and then comes back and sits down at my feet staring at me again.

We all think this is now even odder, and I'm a bit freaked out so go and sit down in the other room, I then feel that I might be getting a bit hypo, test and sure enough I'm definitely hypo so down a tube of dextrose tabs.

The dog meanwhile goes and falls asleep on the sofa.

Was a very unexpected default "doggy sensed something odd" response from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

So a week and a half ago, I got a new pump! A minimed VEO pump, and continuous blood glucose monitor. And to say I'm blown away by it would be an understatement. The blood sugar monitoring is just blowing my mind, a blood test is taken every 5 minutes which builds up a complete image of what your blood sugars do on a typical day.

I think ill need some more time to write up a proper first impressions post, but so far so good!

Do you mind my asking how the CGBM works? Some sort of sensor you stick under your skin? How long do they last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

robinph wrote: »
    So me and the other halfs springer spaniel have an understanding that we'll just look at each other from opposite ends of the room and he won't jump up and down and bark at me, and I'll then not make a big robinph shaped hole in the wall as I run away screaming like a girl.

But yesterday, whilst stood around chatting at home with another friend who sometimes minds the dog, all of a sudden the dog comes in and sits down properly at my feet and just stares at me. This is a dog that never sits in the standard doggy sitting position as that is far too much like hard work. We all think this is a little odd, one of the other's pets him, he does a quick lap of the room and then comes back and sits down at my feet staring at me again.

We all think this is now even odder, and I'm a bit freaked out so go and sit down in the other room, I then feel that I might be getting a bit hypo, test and sure enough I'm definitely hypo so down a tube of dextrose tabs.

The dog meanwhile goes and falls asleep on the sofa.

Was a very unexpected default "doggy sensed something odd" response from him.
    Maybe now you will learn to appreciate each other:D

My sheepdog used to do that for me too, walking around under my feet until my bloods came up again. Its a very valuable asset to have in my job and i must admit i am a bit lost since she died:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Do you mind my asking how the CGBM works? Some sort of sensor you stick under your skin? How long do they last?

My husband uses the Dexcom CGMS, his sensors last around 10/12 days so far, he's only newly disgnosed and will hopefully be getting the pump by the end of the year but he loves it... says it gives him a great sense of confidence etc.

We tried buying the medtronic one direct here in ireland but they will only sell via your hospital. (which in ireland takes years)

Very easy to insert the sensors, the graphs and alarms are amazing... he is delighted with it, doesnt know how he will revert back if he ever has to.
    He has gone from 15 finger prickeing a day down to on average 4 times day which is great!

We got it from the UK, its a plug and play system and its amazing:

http://www.dexcom.com/ie

;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

5live wrote: »
    Maybe now you will learn to appreciate each other:D
    Think you are more likely to see pigs flying to the moon ... or my pancreas voluntarily deciding to start working again. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In my case, I have minimed mini-link transmitter, which is a wireless transmitting device. It plugs into a sensor, which is similar in form to an infusion set. The sensor is inserted as an infusion set would be, with a small sensor remaining under the skin. The sensor has a port into which the transmitter is inserted. So when all is setup, you have a sensor which is inserted under the skin and a transmitter which plugs into that.

The sensor lasts 6 days, so it's surprisingly long. And, so far at least, there is no irritation on the skin once the old sensor is removed.

I think I'll write up a full *First impressions* post later today, and I'll include as much info, and pics as I can!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The sensor lasts 6 days, so it's surprisingly long. And, so far at least, there is no irritation on the skin once the old sensor is removed.
    I had asked Dexcom for a quote and their rep told me that alot of their customers are using their 7 day strips for up to 14days with no issues. Worth considering if your consultant/doc/HSE does not sign of on the testers.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had asked Dexcom for a quote and their rep told me that alot of their customers are using their 7 day strips for up to 14days with no issues. Worth considering if your consultant/doc/HSE does not sign of on the testers.

The only issues is the "comsumables" for the Dexcom are NOT covered under the LTI card, so the OP would have to pay for them. but with his Medtronic one they are covered. so all his sensors are free etc under the long term illness card once he got it through his healthcare professional. Plus medtronics have the tendor for insulin pumps and sensors with the HSE etc so you cannot get Dexcom via LTI card which is a pity.

With regard to the Dexcom did you call the UK office as they dont have a rep in ireland?

Heres what we paid 4 weeks ago for the Dexcom:

Unit plus transmitter costs £975 (includes carry case), sensors £250 for 4... So pricey enough but worth it for confidence and peace of mind ...

With regard to the sensors my husbands gets 10/12 days per sensor, I have read online some peoples last 21 days days so it all depends but thats not a given and also please be aware the "automatically" cut off after 7 days and you must "fool" the sensor, its not hard but you must remember to do it or youll get caught out and its takes 2 hours for the 1st sensor to calibrate etc.

Introduction

This post will briefly cover my history with insulin pumps, each device separately and some insight into the data I've collected in the last couple of weeks.

I've been a pump user for 8 years now (can't believe it's been so long!) and have been using Minimed pumps from day one. I've become so accustomed to the freedom they provide that I honestly could not go back to a regime of multiple injections a day. For the last 8 years I've had a number of different pumps which were all more or less the same in functionality. Which was pretty basic, with no continuous monitoring ability.

Minimed VEO Pump.

Anyone who is familiar with Minimed pumps from the last 10 years or so would notice little difference when picking this device up for the first time. The pump is exactly the same form factor, has the same buttons and screen. The differences in the pump comes in the form of the menus used to change/view settings on the device.

I would describe these changes as fairly minor. For example, the "Prime" menu has been replaced by a "Reservoir + Set" menu, with more intuitive menu options for replacing sets.

Obviously the main difference is the ability to connect to the Continuous Blood Glucose monitor, and display in real time what your sugars are doing. I will go into more detail with regard to this after I introduce the sensor/transmitter itself:).

Sensor + Transmitter

Now for the good stuff. The transmitter and sensor. These are two separate parts. The sensor, is the piece that you insert into yourself (Think infusion set) and the transmitter is the electronic device which wirelessly beams readings to the pump. This transmitter plugs into the sensor once the sensor is inserted into your body.

The insertion process isn't quite as straightforward as a typical quick set change, but I feel that perhaps I just am not used to it, so its still a bit alien to me. Even so, it's not like its difficult, and its a fairly quick process. You're talking a couple of minutes from start to finish which is grand. Once you have inserted the sensor, you can simply connect (the fully charged) transmitter and you're away. The transmitter takes a bit of time to start giving readings, as yet I'm not too certain how long this is, perhaps a couple of hours.

Once all attached, I would describe it as being very similar in size to a Quick Set infusion set just without the cable. It protrudes a little further out of the body, but not that much. It's not something I find myself noticing during the day.

Sensor output and day to day usage.

I'll start out this section with a picture!

KmoFBKo.jpg

So this is what I'm greeted with when I push the back button on my pump. My most recent blood glucose level and a nice graph. Now this reading of 6.3 is updated every 5 minutes, so it's not technically real time, but it's close enough! If you look closely at that image, you will notice that under the time on the right it also says 3 Hours. This means that the graph it is showing is the graph for the last 3 hours only. You can simply change this to display 6, 12 & 24 hours by hitting the up button.

Now it should be noted that results from the sensor are supposedly out by +/-20% which is a considerable margin of error. But the purpose of this device is not to replace finger pricking, but to be in addition to. It is supposed to show trends and warn you depending on certain trends.

Warnings, trends and tricks

Now as I alluded to above, the pump will pick up on trends in real time and warn you of an impending low or high. Which is something I've always wanted. It means that when I cycle the 12KM home, I will here a vibration warning me that my sugars are falling at a rapid rate and to do something about it! The same happens when going high. Which makes it possible to see a missed bolus, or something going wrong before it even happens.

One cool feature is the auto suspend feature. As you'd guess, this is a feature that will automatically suspend the pump when a reading below, say 3.5, is read. It will then warn you incessantly about that fact until you tell it to take a chill pill!

Now for some more graphs!

X8urlQO.jpg

This is the report I get when I do an upload to carelink using a carelink USB device. Now this is the bit that blew me away really. It's simply analytics in action, but to see that each day I have 288 separate readings from the sensor telling me my sugars, and the trends for each day is simply unreal. Complete game changer.

I'm having too many lows at the moment, which is evident from the above, I've just started a new job with a 12KM cycle each way which is causing me to crash after. I'm still figuring it out, but this will make a huge difference in doing so.

I have made no adjustments to my Basal just yet, but intend to by the weekend.

I think this covers it...apologies for my lengthy ramblings! And let us know if you have any questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

Thanks for the info Alanstrainor - are both the pump and the cgm sensors covered under LTI?

Thanks for the info Alanstrainor - are both the pump and the cgm sensors covered under LTI?

Yes it is. (it'd want to be, was told that a 10 pack of sensors alone costs €700!)

I had to get approved for this through my consultant.

I've done tons of research into pumps and cgms etc.. While the pumps are readily available once agreed with ur consultant etc and some other conditions they aren't overly keen on giving the cgms unless there is a direct need.. Most pump users only have the pump and not the cgms .....It's a cost issue. The pumps alone are €3,500 with the cgms they are around €6,500... Sensors are €70 a week.... It doubles the price of the pump not to mention the consumables etc, but we've been told if people really push for it they will get the entire unit etc...... Eventually, like everything in Ireland!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am changing doctors to get one, even if I do not get one I have had the fortune of having this consultant before and I trust them. Too many are obsessed with the type 2's only...

On a lighter note - 29 years ago tomorrow I was diagnosed with type 1.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I am changing doctors to get one, even if I do not get one I have had the fortune of having this consultant before and I trust them. Too many are obsessed with the type 2's only...

On a lighter note - 29 years ago tomorrow I was diagnosed with type 1.

They are available to all type 1 under the LTI, you just have to push your consultant. Some consultants are more pro active than others.

otherwise you could try the matter private route ive posted the costs a few pages back, IMO its not expensive and you should have your mum in 6-8 weeks etc.

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I go private but the last consultant was more concerned with their type 2's and I lost heart. The consultant that I will be going back to has dealt with me before and actually listened. I ahve always been in two minds about the pump but I want what is best for my children, I have issues with hypos, not good for them to see.

I did read your post and yes, it was one of the deciders so thank you.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I go private but the last consultant was more concerned with their type 2's and I lost heart. The consultant that I will be going back to has dealt with me before and actually listened. I ahve always been in two minds about the pump but I want what is best for my children, I have issues with hypos, not good for them to see.

I did read your post and yes, it was one of the deciders so thank you.

Thats really disheartening, your consultant should listen to you and your wants (but many dont). You know what my husband is all on for the pump, as like you said its much better for hypos etc plus long term its meant to be far better at reducing clogging of the arteries etc from insulin plus a person on the pump usually reduce their insulin by 30%... but he isnt mad keen on something being attached to him 24/7 - if you know what i mean.

But he attended the Diabetec meeting in Dublin last week (found it excellent) and 75% of people there were on the pump and they all said they same thing... try it for 6 months and you wont want to be without it.

So hopefully he will have his one by the end of this year (i am an optomist!!)

any if you decide after 6 months you dont like it, you can go straight back on the pens etc - so dont worry

Best of luck!!

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The pumps alone are €3,500 with the cgms they are around €6,500... Sensors are €70 a week.... It doubles the price of the pump not to mention the consumables etc, but we've been told if people really push for it they will get the entire unit etc...... Eventually, like everything in Ireland!
    I was quoted 1150euro for a CGM from Dexcom, when I used to work in Diabetes research I was quoted between 1200 and 2500 for a pump from a range of companies.

I was quoted 1150euro for a CGM from Dexcom, when I used to work in Diabetes research I was quoted between 1200 and 2500 for a pump from a range of companies.

Thanks Cramcycle, we paid GBP 975 for the Dexcom 4 weeks ago which is in and around €1,150, but that only includes the transmitter and receiver plus carry case and NO sensors... they are GBP 250 for 4.

The pump i was refering to in my last post was the Medtronic Evo pump that works in conjunction with their own CGMS and I called them 4 weeks ago and thats what we were quoted. We wanted to purchase it privately but they are only allowed to sell via a healthcare provider in Ireland.

At the diabetes meeting in dublin last wednesday the Medtronic rep also quoted these prices. Although Im sure the HSE get a discount when they purchase in bulk

You can get cheaper pumps BUT they have alot less functions, (ie cut off function when going below 4 etc), and software etc. At the moment the medtronic one is the best available in Ireland

Although the vibe in the US seems to be the way to go:

http://animascorp.co.uk/animas-vibe-and-cgm-system

• Advertisement

Sorry also wanted to point out the Dexcom doesnt have its own insulin pump... just a GCMS and is only compatiable with a handful of pumps... so not universal.

The pumps and CGMS that are the same make / brand that work in conjunction with eachother are alot more expensive but they also provide alot of information and accuracy etc.

Advertisement