Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[CoD MW3] General News and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Softair

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    No problem but my opinion is never set yourself up for excitement for a Treyarch game, they die easily, IW games live longer.

you can say that again, i was sweating for MW2 and it exceeded expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

Softair wrote: »
    you can say that again, i was sweating for MW2 and it exceeded expectations.

Exactly, rule out the hacking and noobtubes the game is amazing, Black ops is just MW2 with duel mags and flamethrowers, and worse sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

hightower1 wrote: »
    Why in the name of god god does everyone in Ireland go on about bb here like we are some hard luck case of the world??? "Oh woe is Ireland and our 3rd world bb!" - for gods sake :rolleyes:

We right now have TWO isps supplying over 100mb lines residentially (UPC and Magnet) . NL is one of the highest rated areas for bb products and penetration and the max they get is 160mb! So its hardly 2nd rate we have here. The only fall down we really have is with rural penetration but if thats the only section you want to judge then compare ony that sectiop to the rural penetration of bb with the rest of the world and the same figures come up time and time again because the logistic issues of geting bb equipment to rural areas is not an Irl only issue but a global one.

In towns and cities we are middle of the road for speed / penetration in contrast globally

In rural areas we are middle of the road for speed / penetration in contrast globally

Steam does great business in Irl so I cant see as to why it wouldnt be a viable venture for the Irish userbase of XBL.

The problem (in relation to bb) is that the rural parts of Ireland make up such a large portion of our country. Ireland is behind in standards it should have had it. Between cost cutting measures by Telecom Eireann by splitting lines below international standard practices, and the sale of Eircom along with the county's main bb network, internet providers have always been behind.
    People are entitled to bitch about it as we had to wait a longer time, it's expensive compared to other countries and it's meh unless you live in Dublin or Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

yimrsg wrote: »
    Microsoft have a history in throwing the financial clout of xbox live around to buy exclusives like what they did in another multiformat most eagerly expected game of the year, gta. Sony hasn't attempted to match them. I wouldn't be surprised if MS does similar again.

I never really liked GTA, but what did the xbox get that the PS3 didn't ? Or was it more timed release content ?

The reason sony don't attempt to match them is because its pointless, sony invest their money in exclusive titles and studios.

If you want to play mass effect as it's makers intended you have to get it from MS not from Sony. Also PS3 owners had to wait 6 months to get (a 360 port of) ME2. I thought Mass Effect 3 was coming out on both consoles? There is a difference in losing a title and losing exclusivity of it.

Pretty sure the only reason it took so long to get out on the PS3 was because they ported the entire game onto the new ME3 engine... it runs much better on PS3 (I've owned both versions).
    Exclusives are often bandied about in fanboy discussions over which console is best, the real definer for fans of both consoles is which console offers the best package. Focusing only about the Call of Duty franchise, the fact is ps3 owners got the sh*tty end of the stick with regard to black ops. That and MS hasn't let it's customers spend nearly a month without a service or endangered their finances. At the moment, Sony have it all to do. However complacency could still scupper MS.

****ty end of the stick was handed to the PS3 with blops indeed, but really.... its not that ****ty, also the xbox version isn't without its flaws. Either way my point wasn't directed at just CoD, it was about what MS are bringing to the table at E3.

Sony will have plently to show off - Resistence / Last Guardian / Infamous 2 / Twisted Metal / Uncharted 3 / Starhawk

Theres also strong rumours of more details on "Agent" (Exclusive developed by rockstar), a possible new MGS exclusive (Not rising) and of a bungie/sony developement.

Don't get me wrong, i think they'll have something exciting to show... I was just saying that if the only thing they announce is some ****ty timed exclusive deal with activision then i wouldn't be that excited if the only console i had was a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Softair

Exactly, rule out the hacking and noobtubes the game is amazing, Black ops is just MW2 with duel mags and flamethrowers, and worse sound effects.

you actually couldn't have narrowed it down any better.

• Advertisement

Yeah you guys get a raw deal down there, i can get 50mb BB for less than £25.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Headshot wrote: »
    you need your head examined

Last year we were one the worse for broadband in europe according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

Like I said they take into acc Ireland as a whole which is completely wrong.... Urban penetration and speeds are very much the EU average. Take for example all the virgn and BT ads on UK chanels advertising 30 mbps lines... thats the average here also.

BUT Ireland is still a very rural country so all reports also include rural areas which are serviced by crappy eircom lines which then drag the average speed/ penetration results right down.

Next time take a closer look at the results and what they mean. By your logic we could say that Korea has the most congestion effect on their networks simply based on the bb connection per sq ft but thats not the case as their network balancing more than handles their request load at any given time..... but by the report .....:eek::rolleyes:

Waaaayyyy off topic there, in short digital distro of MW3 on XBL would be very workable.... as the steam sales figures for Irl if you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah you guys get a raw deal down there, i can get 50mb BB for less than £25.

Not really man, 25gbp = roughly 45eur.... for that you can get 50mbps UPC bb.

huh ? How is that not a raw deal ? :D Thats like 18 euro more expensive... per month !

25meg BB up here goes for as little as £10-15

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

I find myself agreeing with Magill more and more these days. What the f**k is happening to me.:p

• Advertisement

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    I find myself agreeing with Magill more and more these days. What the f**k is happening to me.:p

Lee's mom told you the size of my DICKKK ???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

We right now have TWO isps supplying over 100mb lines residentially (UPC and Magnet) . NL is one of the highest rated areas for bb products and penetration and the max they get is 160mb! So its hardly 2nd rate we have here. The only fall down we really have is with rural penetration but if thats the only section you want to judge then compare ony that sectiop to the rural penetration of bb with the rest of the world and the same figures come up time and time again because the logistic issues of geting bb equipment to rural areas is not an Irl only issue but a global one.

While i agree NL is a highly rated country for broadband thats got nothing to do with upc (even though they are a dutch company) Its 2 other companies that make it so , and the max they are getting now is 1 gig.

Magnet off a far better quality broadband than upc buts its more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Lee's mom told you the size of my DICKKK ???? :D

Yes. Don't worry though, size isn't everything.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

it wouldnt surprise me if they offered the multiplayer portion of the game in a digital form so anyone who doesnt want the SP wouldnt have to bother buying it. Knowing activision they would still charge €60 for it. B:Ops is on games on demand for €75 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

em, don't know where you get your exchange rates but £25 is less than €30, not €45.

Liam O wrote: »
    em, don't know where you get your exchange rates but £25 is less than €30, not €45.

I didnt even notice he said that lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

IW engine is solid, Treyarch tweak it and make it ****, hence Black ops is basically MW2.5, same shit different game

with worse graphics and horrendous sound. "enemy bumblebee incoming...oh wait thats a chopper gunner, whys it sound like a constipated bee?"

I still say they should do comedy killstreaks for one of the games, you wouldnt so much being killed by them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Why in the name of god god does everyone in Ireland go on about bb here like we are some hard luck case of the world??? "Oh woe is Ireland and our 3rd world bb!" - for gods sake :rolleyes:

In towns and cities we are middle of the road for speed / penetration in contrast globally

In rural areas we are middle of the road for speed / penetration in contrast globally

Steam does great business in Irl so I cant see as to why it wouldnt be a viable venture for the Irish userbase of XBL.

My point about steam was that it often takes overnight to download a game from steam as the whole world is trying to do it at the same time. 500,000 were on xbox live last night playing black ops. Imagine if they downloaded a 10gb game at the same time, now imagine 3 times that amount which is a reasonable number to assume going on past sales from COD. It would cause all sorts of of problems as xbox live isn't a game delivery system as steam is.

I lived in England for a bit 2 years ago and got 3-4mb speeds from a usb dongle using their mobile phone network. Back home they got the same speed in Dublin via a phone line. Irelands internet speeds are woeful, our ministers spout on about being a technology hub but really we've handicapped ourselves for years thanks to a monopoly by Telecom Eireann and Eircom.

Also even if you live in Dublin, you aren't able to chose from all Internet Providers. So many new estates popped up that have had little to choice on ISPs.
    I never really liked GTA, but what did the xbox get that the PS3 didn't ? Or was it more timed release content ?

The reason sony don't attempt to match them is because its pointless, sony invest their money in exclusive titles and studios.

Pretty sure the only reason it took so long to get out on the PS3 was because they ported the entire game onto the new ME3 engine... it runs much better on PS3 (I've owned both versions).

****ty end of the stick was handed to the PS3 with blops indeed, but really.... its not that ****ty, also the xbox version isn't without its flaws. Either way my point wasn't directed at just CoD, it was about what MS are bringing to the table at E3.

Sony will have plently to show off - Resistence / Last Guardian / Infamous 2 / Twisted Metal / Uncharted 3 / Starhawk

Theres also strong rumours of more details on "Agent" (Exclusive developed by rockstar), a possible new MGS exclusive (Not rising) and of a bungie/sony developement.

Don't get me wrong, i think they'll have something exciting to show... I was just saying that if the only thing they announce is some ****ty timed exclusive deal with activision then i wouldn't be that excited if the only console i had was a 360.

Don't want to go down the exclusives for each console list as it's pointless for this debate but you mentioned in your original post that MS lost Mass Effect 3, I pointed out they lost exclusivity not ME3. The PS3 got a comic book instead of the first part of a trilogy, Sony may have achieved parity with MS in some peoples eyes but in reality they've not.

GTA was (and still is) a massive name which transcended into the mainstream media. Buying the exclusive dlc gave MS's customers a one-up-manship over Sony. If you want the full game buy it from Microsoft. It's schoolyard behaviour but so are most of both company's customers.

With regard to buying pieces of games and making them time-limited exclusivity for a particular console, I doubt MS would continue in investing in it if there weren't any particular financial benefits for doing so. If a player had both consoles then the one with the exclusive content would be favourable unless there was other contributing factors such as which console has the greater friends list. It's going to draw the undecided in to buy it on the 360.

I could recall a lot of PS3 players in the black ops megabitch thread complaining that the game is broken/unplayable up until recently. The xbox likewise had problems but nowhere near the level experienced on the ps3. I think Headshot and others who have played ps3 and another format (at a near release state) can vouch for that.

No one here can say what will happen at E3 but if it turns out that the 360 has an advantage on MW3 (whether from exclusivity or not) then it'll raise it's own standing and lower's Sony. I sincerely doubt a company like MS hasn't based it's entire e3 on a single game no matter how big it is.

krudler wrote: »
    with worse graphics and horrendous sound. "enemy bumblebee incoming...oh wait thats a chopper gunner, whys it sound like a constipated bee?"

I still say they should do comedy killstreaks for one of the games, you wouldnt so much being killed by them :pac:

You ever see the guys in Treyarch sound lab? they literally look like they should be in a rip off show of Waynes World, they suck and their job to be fully honest, when I was playing MW2 my foot steps were easy to hear, I actually assumed they were enemies, it made me play better knowing I made that big amount of noise, there is nothing bad about IW and I`d like to see anyone state anything bad about them.

Btw if you say "MW2 got hacked and there were no patches"

They had like 30 people working for them and they have to get permission from activision to make patches, and I dont think they were on speaking terms at that point, plus there were no head developers to talk to activision about these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You ever see the guys in Treyarch sound lab? they literally look like they should be in a rip off show of Waynes World, they suck and their job to be fully honest, when I was playing MW2 my foot steps were easy to hear, I actually assumed they were enemies, it made me play better knowing I made that big amount of noise, there is nothing bad about IW and I`d like to see anyone state anything bad about them.

Btw if you say "MW2 got hacked and there were no patches"

They had like 30 people working for them and they have to get permission from activision to make patches, and I dont think they were on speaking terms at that point, plus there were no head developers to talk to activision about these matters.

Oh the sound guys for Blops should have been fired, apalling for a massive game like that to have such bad sound. This BS about them purposefully making the footsteps out of sync is just an excuse, its sh1tty sound design, end of.
    I had Ninja on all my classes on Blops cos I couldnt stand the sound of my footsteps, I kept thinking someone was behind me but it was myself, whereas on MW2 when you run on dirt, it sounds like dirt, when you step on metal, it sounds like and stone etc etc, even the little details like your feet scuffing railings as you climb over and the sound of your equipment jangling around as you run sounds fantastic.
    Like take Afghan, you stand near a burnt out car and you can hear the rusted charred metal expanding, go into it on a private game if you dont believe me and just listen to the details in the sound design, from wind to off map explosions and gunshots it sounds immaculate, Blops is just silent unless theres gunfire in the game. When I play MW2 on my decent headphones I can hear bullets streaking over my head and the shots from an ac-130 actually go from one part of the screen to the other as the artillery sails over head, its aural sex :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

"Enemy Ac-130 incoming!"

God I miss this in Blops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Can't say I ever had a problem with the sound.

THEN YOU ARE LOST ANAKIN!!!!!

Smg's sound like pea shooters.

and MPL sounds like popcorn popping, just very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

and MPL sounds like popcorn popping, just very quickly

In a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm sure they changed the sounds for a reason, maybe these are the more realistic sounds?

Don't want to go down the exclusives for each console list as it's pointless for this debate but you mentioned in your original post that MS lost Mass Effect 3, I pointed out they lost exclusivity not ME3. The PS3 got a comic book instead of the first part of a trilogy, Sony may have achieved parity with MS in some peoples eyes but in reality they've not.

GTA was (and still is) a massive name which transcended into the mainstream media. Buying the exclusive dlc gave MS's customers a one-up-manship over Sony. If you want the full game buy it from Microsoft. It's schoolyard behaviour but so are most of both company's customers.

With regard to buying pieces of games and making them time-limited exclusivity for a particular console, I doubt MS would continue in investing in it if there weren't any particular financial benefits for doing so. If a player had both consoles then the one with the exclusive content would be favourable unless there was other contributing factors such as which console has the greater friends list. It's going to draw the undecided in to buy it on the 360.

I could recall a lot of PS3 players in the black ops megabitch thread complaining that the game is broken/unplayable up until recently. The xbox likewise had problems but nowhere near the level experienced on the ps3. I think Headshot and others who have played ps3 and another format (at a near release state) can vouch for that.

No one here can say what will happen at E3 but if it turns out that the 360 has an advantage on MW3 (whether from exclusivity or not) then it'll raise it's own standing and lower's Sony. I sincerely doubt a company like MS hasn't based it's entire e3 on a single game no matter how big it is.

Im not arguing which version of blops is best, i've already said a number of times that hte xbox version runs better (Unlike a lot of people i have actually played quite a bit on both versions). It was never "Unplayable" for me on the PS3, the connection issues were bad on both versions for the first few weeks ? Either way, that had nothing to do with the "deal" that MS made with activision.. it was just bad coding on treyarch's part... I doubt IW are gonna come out at E3 and announce that MW3 runs better on either version. So the only thing i can see MS announcing is that they've got timed exclusives or some other nonsense that doesn't really matter (To me anyway), anything else would be suicide on activisions part. I doubt there'll be as big a difference in performance this time(Compared to blops). MW2 was pretty much equal in terms of performance (Xbox being just slightly ahead) so i'd expect more of the same.

You keep talking from the companies POV, not the gamers. As a GAMER, im far more excited about the PS3's lineup at E3 than the xbox's... that is pretty much my only point.

And likewise, as i've said in my last post, i also think MS will have some tricks up their sleeves....

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Can't say I ever had a problem with the sound.

Nitpicking and excuses IMO. I'm too focused in killing everything in sight than to overly care about the graphics and sound. It's not perfect sure, but to use in every single argument and have sly digs at BOPS is very tedious (and hypocritical) at this stage.

Do this to MW2 and my god, get ready to face the same people who will defend it like no other :D Go figure heh -_^

When it really comes down to it *for many* and I've also said this just after BOPS was released but some people cannot achieve the scores they regularly earned (Lol) in MW2 and replicate that in BOPS or at least to a consistent level and thus favour that game. I have zero doubts about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Im not arguing which version of blops is best, i've already said a number of times that hte xbox version runs better (Unlike a lot of people i have actually played quite a bit on both versions). It was never "Unplayable" for me on the PS3, the connection issues were bad on both versions for the first few weeks ? Either way, that had nothing to do with the "deal" that MS made with activision.. it was just bad coding on treyarch's part... I doubt IW are gonna come out at E3 and announce that MW3 runs better on either version. So the only thing i can see MS announcing is that they've got timed exclusives or some other nonsense that doesn't really matter (To me anyway), anything else would be suicide on activisions part. I doubt there'll be as big a difference in performance this time(Compared to blops). MW2 was pretty much equal in terms of performance (Xbox being just slightly ahead) so i'd expect more of the same.

You keep talking from the companies POV, not the gamers. As a GAMER, im far more excited about the PS3's lineup at E3 than the xbox's... that is pretty much my only point.

And likewise, as i've said in my last post, i also think MS will have some tricks up their sleeves....

Yeah we're going round in circles and veering off topic.

I've zero aspirations for Mw3 outside of a horde style game mode that combines the best elements of spec ops from mw2 and zombies from Bops.

I've probably become disillusioned with the yearly teasing from IW, Activision, Treyarch and soon to be joining them Sledgehammer. Time after time they've dished out mediocrity and I don't see that changing unless Battlefield 3 ruffles their feathers and forces them to actual make a best of game from the choice parts of the series.

• Advertisement

Yeah we're going round in circles and veering off topic.

I've zero aspirations for Mw3 outside of a horde style game mode that combines the best elements of spec ops from mw2 and zombies from Bops.

I've probably become disillusioned with the yearly teasing from IW, Activision, Treyarch and soon to be joining them Sledgehammer. Time after time they've dished out mediocrity and I don't see that changing unless Battlefield 3 ruffles their feathers and forces them to actual make a best of game from the choice parts of the series.

Aye, it'll be interesting tbh. Hopefully its sweeeet tho.... i donno why im even interested because i'll not even beable to play it !!! (Cept for hte weekends :D)

Advertisement