Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

• 14-05-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

so with the current recruitment, I was thinking of sending an application over....

but what does day to day for an enlisted member entail ?

are you at sea much ?
    are things interesting day to day ?
    what is initial/ follow up training like ?

know of a few in the army, but no one in the navy, and from what I've heard from the army side of things I don't know if i'd want to join...

I also have an ordinary degree in IT, and would love to move into the technical side of things, but would I be waiting for months (slash years) for courses to come up in the tech divisions ?

food for thought I reckon, anyone else any other questions, throw them in :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

• Registered Users Posts: 12 incorrect

great help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

you did ask............
    i was just telling !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Probally best to go to military.ie but i'm sure you probally know that

http://www.military.ie/naval/

anyway othere suggestions could be;

You could also look up the Australian Navy recruiting page (I was once a candidate for Australian Army Officer but withdrew my application) you can get a lot of info about general entry into the Navy there and what its like at sea etc.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/navy/

Also navy recruiting for the US armed forces have Q & A sections that will give you an idea about navy life.

http://www.navy.com/navy/

Of course there are MAJOR differances regarding delpoyments and funding etc ect but if its general info about navy life well then you may find it on those sites.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Application form at the bottom of the page.

http://www.military.ie/careers/enlisted/recruits/navy/navy.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 incorrect

superref wrote: »
    you did ask............
    i was just telling !!!!

no you didn't tell anything, trolling more like it
    DustyMan wrote: »
    Probally best to go to military.ie but i'm sure you probally know that

http://www.military.ie/naval/

anyway othere suggestions could be;

You could also look up the Australian Navy recruiting page (I was once a candidate for Australian Army Officer but withdrew my application) you can get a lot of info about general entry into the Navy there and what its like at sea etc.

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/navy/

Also navy recruiting for the US armed forces have Q & A sections that will give you an idea about navy life.

http://www.navy.com/navy/

Of course there are MAJOR differances regarding delpoyments and funding etc ect but if its general info about navy life well then you may find it on those sites.

Good luck!

cheers man i'll hav a gander through them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Spend ALOT of time at sea... three of every five weeks I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Spend ALOT of time at sea... three of every five weeks I think!

Changed a lot since Ronnie Drew's time so . . .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my bro was in the navy for a few years and then transferred to the army. he couldnt take the boredom of 3 weeks at sea.

he loved the training part, up at 5am ten mile runs back for breakfast :eek: he was name best recruit.

there was too much hanging around not doing anything for him

irishbird wrote: »
    my bro was in the navy for a few years and then transferred to the army. he couldnt take the boredom of 3 weeks at sea.

he loved the training part, up at 5am ten mile runs back for breakfast :eek: he was name best recruit.

there was too much hanging around not doing anything for him

There's a lot of hanging around and doing nothing in the army too, even more now that they've withdrawn from chad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Join the Irish Navy? Lol:D

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Join the Irish Navy? Lol:D

Don't see anything wrong with someone wanting to join, at the end of the day it pays a decent wage with good time off... They should have named it the Irish coast guard instead of the navy though, the job they do is pretty similar to the us coast guard.

They're not called the Navy either.

concussion wrote: »
    They're not called the Navy either.

Naval service is Navy.

It's a Naval Service not a Navy, just as we have an Air Corps and not an Air Force.

It's a Naval Service not a Navy, just as we have an Air Corps and not an Air Force.

Zoom in, what does it say in big bold letters on the front of his jacket?

http://www.indymedia.ie/cache/imagecache/local/attachments/jun2009/460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_shell_irish_navy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

hi all.

I am currently thinking of applying for the Irish Navy. But the problem is I have a young daughter and a girlfriend of five years. Im not sure if it would be a bad decision if i enlisted. But it is a career that is really appealing to me.

Any 1 here currently enlisted and has any advise for me? is there much time off, and what is the money like.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

pedant alert.

Navy/Naval Service - who cares?

it has grey ships with big guns on them, that makes it a Navy.

Of course it's not going to say navy because the correct term is naval.

NAVY and NAVAL are the SAME thing!

1 result for: Naval

na·val [ney-vuhl]
    –adjective
    1. of or pertaining to warships: a naval battle; naval strength.
    2. of or pertaining to ships of all kinds: naval architecture; naval engineer.
    3. belonging to, pertaining to, or connected with a navy: naval affairs.
    4. possessing a navy: the great naval powers.
    [Origin: 1585–95; < L nāvālis, equiv. to nāv(is) ship + -ālis -al1]

—Related forms
    na·val·ly, adverb

Source:**
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

• Advertisement

That can equally apply to Naval Service, which is the stated name of the DF's naval component. I don't like being an absolute pedant like this, but you did ask why it's called a navy and not a coastguard due to its role(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pete_cork

Zoom in, what does it say in big bold letters on the front of his jacket?

http://www.indymedia.ie/cache/imagecache/local/attachments/jun2009/460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_shell_irish_navy.jpg

The guy in the front is about to get his head blown off by his colleeague behind him - look closely!!!!! haha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

MRLAZY wrote: »
    hi all.

I am currently thinking of applying for the Irish Navy. But the problem is I have a young daughter and a girlfriend of five years. Im not sure if it would be a bad decision if i enlisted. But it is a career that is really appealing to me.

Any 1 here currently enlisted and has any advise for me? is there much time off, and what is the money like.

thanks all

Recruit training lasts for 4 months and most patrols at sea are 4 weeks long.
    Many civvies think that when you finish a patrol your off for 2 weeks which is not the case your still working onboard the ship and doing duties.
    If you get seasick don't join!!!!

mikeym wrote: »
    Recruit training lasts for 4 months and most patrols at sea are 4 weeks long.
    Many civvies think that when you finish a patrol your off for 2 weeks which is not the case your still working onboard the ship and doing duties.
    If you get seasick don't join!!!!

How doest it work with pay Mikey? I know its the same pay scale as the army but what about patrols and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Generally you have recruit training. (4 months)

You then start your line/branch training. (varies from a few weeks to 4 months, depending on which branch you are put into)

Then once you complete your line/branch training you will be posted to a ship for 2 years. During this period you will be going to sea for 2 - 4 weeks at a time with a week or two back at the Naval Base between each patrol. (Patrol lasting 2 - 4 weeks as I mentioned)

After two years at sea you will then be posted back to the base for two years.

Two years at sea followed by two years on base and so on and so forth.

But be warned its a common for lads to spend well over the two years at sea and as for getting your full two years in the base thats also rare. Its to do with the operational requirements of the service.

Hope I've made things easy to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Generally you have recruit training. (4 months)

You then start your line/branch training. (varies from a few weeks to 4 months, depending on which branch you are put into)

Then once you complete your line/branch training you will be posted to a ship for 2 years. During this period you will be going to sea for 2 - 4 weeks at a time with a week or two back at the Naval Base between each patrol. (Patrol lasting 2 - 4 weeks as I mentioned)

After two years at sea you will then be posted back to the base for two years.

Two years at sea followed by two years on base and so on and so forth.

But be warned its a common for lads to spend well over the two years at sea and as for getting your full two years in the base thats also rare. Its to do with the operational requirements of the service.

Hope I've made things easy to understand.

Cheers for that,never actually knew the routine for the Navy,was a difficult thing to find!

Another question while your here if you know! Whats the story with the 2 in the picture? I know they most be boarding party,but how is one able to get to the stage they are at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Another question while your here if you know! Whats the story with the 2 in the picture? I know they most be boarding party,but how is one able to get to the stage they are at?

No bothers man,

Each ship has its own armed boarding team. So when you get posted to a ship im pretty sure it simply a matter as saying you want to be on it and hey presto you'll get trained up. No interest in being on one myself. You dont get paid any extra for it and I'll be damned if im gonna put myself in harms way for zero pay off. Each to their own though. If its your thing by all means go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

but do you get extra pay when your on patrol? Does anyone know how many roughly the navy are recruiting?

there doesnt really seem to be a big interest on this site, if the army, guards were recruiting there would be a **** load of threads and post about it.

Is there many on here after sending in an application?

MRLAZY wrote: »
    but do you get extra pay when your on patrol? Does anyone know how many roughly the navy are recruiting?

there doesnt really seem to be a big interest on this site, if the army, guards were recruiting there would be a **** load of threads and post about it.

Is there many on here after sending in an application?

I'd say the competition will be huge, especially with alot of Cork people as its right on their doorstep.

If your thinking of applying, get out and start running now. They'll probably take on the fastest first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

How doest it work with pay Mikey? I know its the same pay scale as the army but what about patrols and the likes?

Recruit money doesn't pay very well but the pay goes up when training is completed.
    If anyone is serious about getting in follow 00Blaine00's advice and make sure your fitness is up to scratch because with so many applying the navy can afford to be picky.

Advertisement