Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

I had a look back through my dashcam footage as I went around the roundabout.

It looks like the signs say: "For updates register with roadconstruction@ccc-site.com".

The whois for the domain gives Cork County Council as the registrant (set up for the Ballincollig Bypass, it seems) so I'll shoot an email off and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Am i right in my interpretation off the scheme drawings that northbound tunnel traffic heading to Dublin will be reduced to one lane for the course of the intersection? Is this 1. correct? 2. A problem, in reducing this flow to one lane?

http://n8n25dunkettle.jacobs.com/docs/32102066%20Dunkettle%20EIS%20VOL%203%20Figures%20-%20Fig%201.1.1%20to%20Fig%202.4.1.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

mire wrote: »
    Am i right in my interpretation off the scheme drawings that northbound tunnel traffic heading to Dublin will be reduced to one lane for the course of the intersection? Is this 1. correct? 2. A problem, in reducing this flow to one lane?

http://n8n25dunkettle.jacobs.com/docs/32102066%20Dunkettle%20EIS%20VOL%203%20Figures%20-%20Fig%201.1.1%20to%20Fig%202.4.1.PDF

I doubt more than 50% of traffic goes SRR to M8. Can’t see it being an issue even in peak traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I doubt more than 50% of traffic goes SRR to M8. Can’t see it being an issue even in peak traffic.

Majority of traffic from SRR turns East toward Midleton. The proportions might change in far future when NRR is opened though and south side goes through the tunnel, M8 towards NRR and finally N20.

grogi wrote: »

Majority of traffic from SRR turns East toward Midleton. The proportions might change in far future when NRR is opened though and south side goes through the tunnel, M8 towards NRR and finally N20.

Still though, I doubt only having one lane for SRR to M8 will give much of an issue especially given that SRR traffic will be split into 3 different streams going through Dunkettle

SRR to City
    SRR to M8
    SRR to N25

You would want maybe 60% or more of SRR traffic using just one movement before you would see anything noticeable. The reduction in speed to 50 or 60kph at the junction will also increase capacity versus what the SRR handles at 100kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Still though, I doubt only having one lane for SRR to M8 will give much of an issue especially given that SRR traffic will be split into 3 different streams going through Dunkettle

SRR to City
    SRR to M8
    SRR to N25

You would want maybe 60% or more of SRR traffic using just one movement before you would see anything noticeable. The reduction in speed to 50 or 60kph at the junction will also increase capacity versus what the SRR handles at 100kph

thanks for the replies; not sure though. the cork metropolitan area is planning to grow very significantly to 2050, how about future proofing the infrastructure? this SRR-M8 movement is likely to experience growth, substantial growth.

mire wrote: »

SRR to City
    SRR to M8
    SRR to N25

thanks for the replies; not sure though. the cork metropolitan area is planning to grow very significantly to 2050, how about future proofing the infrastructure? this SRR-M8 movement is likely to experience growth, substantial growth.

I think the fact that the tunnel is only 2 lanes in each direction was also taken into consideration when doing this junction.

I doubt it will ever be widened to 3 lanes as the cost would be enormous. This will be the limiting factor on capacity rather than the junction.

Alternative options will be put in place. Bridge by Pairc Ui Chaoimh. North Ring Road. Possible further down stream crossing (Rushbrooke to Passage West)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rushbrooke to Passage West

Would love to see that but I doubt that will ever happen. Hideously expensive high level bridge. Sort out Belvelly Bridge first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Would love to see that but I doubt that will ever happen. Hideously expensive high level bridge. Sort out Belvelly Bridge first.

Could be done, but they’d put the car ferry out of business.

As for belvelly Bridge, I ain’t even going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I presume a safe cycling route to get through this junction is the first thing being done here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I presume a safe cycling route to get through this junction is the first thing being done here...

There is mention of cycle infrastructure in the EIS document. Particularly on page 12 or so, it's listed as the 5th priority of the upgrade (after improving capacity, minimising impact, segregating local and strategic traffic, and mimimising weaving).
    To this end they mention
    "
    It is an objective of the scheme to ensure that any solution also includes the provision of pedestrian and cyclist connectivity through the proposed scheme. This facility should coincide with other planned pedestrian and cyclist facilities in the area and also separate these movements from the main traffic movements through the interchange where possible. This objective therefore promotes more sustainable transport modes and will also assist in accessibility between the various areas currently severed by the existing interchange"

You'll find the drawing of this aspect of the design on figure 2.1.1.

Their plans are for pedestrians and cyclists to dash across the Cork-Dublin slip road. When I pointed this out to them they advised me that since traffic would be going at 50kmh it would not be a problem.

Speaking as a cyclist who currently uses the interchange, I believe that this design will very effectively move all cycle traffic away from the Dunkettle area and end cycling as a mode of transport through this junction once and for all.

It's probably off-topic, but considerations for pedestrians and cyclists in large schemes in the Cork area have been consistently poor.

The Ballincollig bypass, Carrigtwohill bypass, Dunkettle Interchange, Bandon Road Roundabout, Sarsfield's Road Roundabout all err on the side of either providing no infrastructure whatsoever or "put cyclists on footpaths and remove free-flow or right-of-way".

If we really were serious as a nation about increasing sustainable transport, then footpaths and cycleways would be treated in the same way as any other traffic lane, rather than trying to get them out of the way by any means possible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All of the roads mentioned above are dual carraigeways or dual carriageway interchanges that have heavy volumes of traffic moving at upto 120km/h. The exception being the two N40 roundabouts which have residences nearby, but these have pedestrian/cyclist phases built into the traffic signal sequence.

In most areas these roads would be motorway, they are in Dublin (you won't find cyclists or pedestrians on the M1, M4, M7, M11 or M50). They realistically should be and in the case of the N22 and N25 will likely become motorways when they are extended to Macroom and Youghal respectively. They are no place for cyclists, cyclists should not be crossing 120km/h on/off ramps at grade. Cyclist facilities should be provided on either the roads they replaced or totally segregated.

If you live in Swords you don't cycle to Dublin via the M1. The same should apply in Cork with the N25.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Aren't they reattaching the previously severed old road? That would be your east-west cycle route and cyclists shouldn't be going north-south anyway since that would put them in the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

marno21 wrote: »

In most areas these roads would be motorway, they are in Dublin (you won't find cyclists or pedestrians on the M1, M4, M7, M11 or M50). They realistically should be and in the case of the N22 and N25 will likely become motorways when they are extended to Macroom and Youghal respectively. They are no place for cyclists, cyclists should not be crossing 120km/h on/off ramps at grade. Cyclist facilities should be provided on either the roads they replaced or totally segregated.

If you live in Swords you don't cycle to Dublin via the M1. The same should apply in Cork with the N25.

How do you cycle between Glounthouan or Little Island to Cork? It's not like there's the old road to use like from Swords to Dublin.

The NRA have failed in their mandate to provide the safe cycling infrastructure up to now, and should provide it as the first stage of construction works.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How do you cycle between Glounthouan or Little Island to Cork? It's not like there's the old road to use like from Swords to Dublin.

The NRA have failed in their mandate to provide the safe cycling infrastructure up to now, and should provide it as the first stage of construction works.
    What I'm saying is that such a segregated facility should be provided, rather than including space on the dual carriageways and motorways for cyclists.

Ideally you’d have a cycle track alongside the railway going into Little Island and then over into Glounthsune.

Cyclists should not being going through that junction.

What I'm saying is that such a segregated facility should be provided, rather than including space on the dual carriageways and motorways for cyclists.

That's EXACTLY what I was saying marno???
    Current approach is either :
    Cyclists and pedestrians put on a shared-use footpath with loss of right-of-way at every junction
    OR
    No provision whatsoever.

Bandon and Sarsfields road roundabouts favour the former
    Routes from Cork-Midleton, Ovens-Macroom, etc favour the latter

I agree that cyclists shouldn't be on a 120kmh road in an ideal design, but many of the roads and junctions mentioned were direct replacements/upgrades of existing infrastructure. So we upgrade, ban or ignore existing vulnerable users and move on - is that not just a cop-out?

There are houses on the N25 beyond Carrigtwohill, how do they cycle/walk in either direction. What's the best route from Douglas to Togher, Doughcloyne to Wilton Shopping Centre etc. If you think about it you'll realise that we're forcing mixed-mode usage, and conflict is built into the design. People will take the path of least resistance.

87% of people currently access to Little Island by car, despite the fact that it has a train station, I really think we should ask more of some of the designs.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Aren't they reattaching the previously severed old road? That would be your east-west cycle route and cyclists should be going north-south anyway since that would put them in the tunnel.

Unfortunately if you check figure 2.1.1 you'll see that cyclists and pedestrians will share a footpath and then cross the Cork-to-Dublin slip-roads which will be free-flowing traffic. When I asked about this during the consultation they said that there won't be a bridge or underpass, but since traffic will be going 50kmh it should be fine. This is what I meant when I said that it will effectively render the area unusable. More serious cyclists will likely take the 4km detour through Glanmire, whereas casual users and commuters will simply be deterred. Pedestrians are almost non-existent since the previous tunnel interchange, when no dedicated pedestrian route was provided.

I agree with you that the old road would be an ideal east-west cycle route (it's a real shame it wasn't used as such in the current layout).
    I also agree that no north-south movement has ever been facilitated. Discussion on the that can definitely be facilitated elsewhere.

Work has begun on the Dunkettle Interchange scheme, with clearance works now visible beside the old Ibis hotel.

TII say a contractor will be appointed "in the next few months" and "some work may start before the end of 2018".

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dunkettle-interchange-upgrade-begins-465384.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Work has begun on the Dunkettle Interchange scheme, with clearance works now visible beside the old Ibis hotel.

TII say a contractor will be appointed "in the next few months" and "some work may start before the end of 2018".

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dunkettle-interchange-upgrade-begins-465384.html
    Probably enabling works prior to the main construction phase.

Firstly, I'm no expert, but...
    Given that the current interchange design was based on figures from 2010, which predicted AADT of 67k through the tunnel by around 2031....and we've now actually surpassed that....is there anything to be said for another few minutes thought about putting in a dedicated M8 (Dublin-Cork) route on this interchange.

I just can't see how the Glanmire-Tunnel, Dublin-Cork, Dublin-East, Tunnel-East and Little Island traffic can all go through the same short stretch and all cross over each other safely.

It just seems obvious to me that the design they're building won't work.

Again, I'm not an expert.

Firstly, I'm no expert, but...
    Given that the current interchange design was based on figures from 2010, which predicted AADT of 67k through the tunnel by around 2031....and we've now actually surpassed that....is there anything to be said for another few minutes thought about putting in a dedicated M8 (Dublin-Cork) route on this interchange.

I just can't see how the Glanmire-Tunnel, Dublin-Cork, Dublin-East, Tunnel-East and Little Island traffic can all go through the same short stretch and all cross over each other safely.

It just seems obvious to me that the design they're building won't work.

Again, I'm not an expert.

Off the top of my head, of the 12 primary movements on this junction, only one isn’t free flow which is as you say, M8 South to N8 Tivoli.

This movement will involve going through 2 roundabouts.

Given that this is only 1/12 of all main movements, I don’t personally think it will hugely affect traffic. I also believe this is the least trafficked of all main movements.

Even at peak hours, you don’t see a huge amounts of cars doing this move.

I personally think the junction is sufficient. The tunnel being only 2 lanes will be the bottleneck, not the junction.

If there was only room for 11 movements free flow M8 -> N8 makes sense, as it comes to a stop about 2km further in anyway, whereas the rest flow into free flow dual carriageways.

Sean Sherlock made the excellent point on C103 yesterday that any notion of the motorway to Limerick going via Mitchelstown is out of the question as Dunkettle hasn't been designed with this flow in mind. Limerick traffic should use M40 North West quadrant if possible when built.

The main thing that needs to be in consideration with this upgrade is the effect on flow further on. The Lakeview roundabout in Midleton and Castlemartyr village are 2 areas in particular that need examining as they will be under pressure after this is done.

If there was only room for 11 movements free flow M8 -> N8 makes sense, as it comes to a stop about 2km further in anyway, whereas the rest flow into free flow dual carriageways.

Sean Sherlock made the excellent point on C103 yesterday that any notion of the motorway to Limerick going via Mitchelstown is out of the question as Dunkettle hasn't been designed with this flow in mind. Limerick traffic should use M40 North West quadrant if possible when built.

The main thing that needs to be in consideration with this upgrade is the effect on flow further on. The Lakeview roundabout in Midleton and Castlemartyr village are 2 areas in particular that need examining as they will be under pressure after this is done.

Most pressing concern would be Dunkettle Roundabout in my mind.

May require a flyover. In addition, redrawing of road markings before the flyover for the North Ring Road.

Agreed on M20. Dunkettle should not have more traffic forced upon it.

Off the top of my head, of the 12 primary movements on this junction, only one isn’t free flow which is as you say, M8 South to N8 Tivoli.

This movement will involve going through 2 roundabouts.

Given that this is only 1/12 of all main movements, I don’t personally think it will hugely affect traffic. I also believe this is the least trafficked of all main movements.

Even at peak hours, you don’t see a huge amounts of cars doing this move.

I personally think the junction is sufficient. The tunnel being only 2 lanes will be the bottleneck, not the junction.

That's a reasonable point.

I can tell you anecdotally (I've no numbers) that significant volumes now access the north and east of the city by exiting the M8 at Watergrasshill and using the R639/R616. They don't tend to exit at Glanmire any more as that's often gridlocked from R615 junction back to beyond L2973 from around 0715 to around 0830 or later.

Some (less) M8 traffic is also bypassing the interchange by using the Watergrasshill in order to head east.

I guess what I'm saying is that many intending users have simply given up on the junction.

I know that's neither here nor there but it may be worth bearing in mind when we talk about lack of demand as a justification.

This is sensible. My contention here is that this won't be the case for the M8-M25 slip. I believe that this will be a pinch point due to a backlog of traffic from the roundabout ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

^
    This.

Delays through both are reasonable at the moment (2 minutes at Lakeview, 5 minutes as Castlemartyr... when I am typically going through in evening) but if there's an unbroken flow of traffic coming from the South ring and Dunkettle Roundabout I can easily see these becoming even greater bottlenecks. Not to mention how much the queue of traffic taking the first exit for Middleton will back up (due to traffic light system)... likely spilling onto the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Drax wrote: »
    Excellent news indeed... expect it in around 10 years. :pac:

You weren't conservative enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Got an update email from TII & Cork City/County Councils!

There are ongoing duct works for the N8 & N40 mentioned but I'll just stick to the Dunkettle segment:
    Dunkettle

Site Investigation Works are well underway on the Dunkettle Interchange Site. The photograph attached shows ongoing Clearance Works near the Pfizer Plant south of the existing N25. Site Clearance Works have progressed slightly quicker than anticipated and we now hope to complete under this heading by the end of February 2018.

Over the next few weeks the Works will become increasingly visible to passing motorists. By the middle of next week, we expect to be clearing the traffic island at the Bury's Bridge "left in/left out" Junction, east of the Dunkettle Roundabout. This area will take a few days to clear and we will then Progress to the area north of the existing N25 immediately west of the Dunkettle Roundabout. No traffic lane closures will be required as a result of the upcoming works and we do not anticipate that the Works will cause any traffic disruption.

As noted in previous updates, the Site Clearance will be followed by Archaeological Investigation Works which will take 3-4 months to complete. We also hope to appoint the Main Works Contractor over the next few months with Offline Works then expected to get underway before the end of 2018. Further details to follow in future updates.

They sent a nice picture of a digger on a ditch too. :D Anyway it's good to see decent progress there.

Advertisement