Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

Hi

Just to introduce myself - I'm Gerry and I'll be handling the sale of the Dovado UMRs for Commsoft. We're actually a software development company based in Co. Clare and this retail project is us branching out.

We have a bit of a GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS situation.

BAD NEWS first: we can't starting shipping the UMRs until next Thursday 29th January 2009. (I'm out of the country at the moment.)

The GOOD NEWS to compensate for this is that we're offering FREE shipping on all UMR purchased in January for delivery on the island of Ireland, so our introductory price is EU121.50 inc VAT and delivery, which will rise to EU130 inc VAT and delivery after January.

Regards
    --
    Gerry
    www.commsoft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi guys,
    I apologise if these questions have already been answered, it's tiring trawling through 11 pages and I probably brushed over the answer somewhere :o

Firstly i'm on O2 with an E270

1) If the SIM has a PIN, do I just do an initial config on the router where it will learn the PIN?

2) I have read that in the event of the Modem losing signal, the router will automatically try to re-connect? Can someone confirm this?

3) I presume the router itself is a low voltage DC unit. I would plan using this on boat (inside the cabin obviously) which has a voltage range from about 11.5v with low batteries to a max of 14v when batteries are charging - Could I just cut the Mains power supply (ie. cut the transformer off) and hook the wires to the boat's DC supply, the other end plugging straight into the router.

4) Sorry not a question about this router, but you guru's will know - I've just read (on this thread) that the E270 can take an external antenna. I discovered this connection by cutting back a bit of the sticker on the rear. Can I just connect an omni-directional (presumably a small whip) antenna and a few ft of cable (and another adapter to connect the cable to the E270) to get it all connected together and i'll have better signal?

Sorry for all the questions! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

JohnCleary wrote: »
    1) If the SIM has a PIN, do I just do an initial config on the router where it will learn the PIN?

Yes, it's very very easy to setup.
    2) I have read that in the event of the Modem losing signal, the router will automatically try to re-connect? Can someone confirm this?

It should work. It doesn't on mine - I'm with o2 with an E270 aswell, but Dovado are looking into my log files to see why.
    3) I presume the router itself is a low voltage DC unit. I would plan using this on boat (inside the cabin obviously) which has a voltage range from about 11.5v with low batteries to a max of 14v when batteries are charging - Could I just cut the Mains power supply (ie. cut the transformer off) and hook the wires to the boat's DC supply, the other end plugging straight into the router.

Absolutely not. You'll need to stablise the output from your boat using a cigarette lighter phone/laptop charger that can give the ampage your UMR would use (1.5 amps), cut the connector off that, and solder on the wires from your UMR's adaptor.
    4) Sorry not a question about this router, but you guru's will know - I've just read (on this thread) that the E270 can take an external antenna. I discovered this connection by cutting back a bit of the sticker on the rear. Can I just connect an omni-directional (presumably a small whip) antenna and a few ft of cable (and another adapter to connect the cable to the E270) to get it all connected together and i'll have better signal?

Should be fine.

Thank's ned. So the router works on a specific voltage only? As opposed to a varient from say 11v - 18v? (Which most 12v car devices to due to fluctuations in power output).

Surely current isin't an issue as the device will only draw what it needs? (My domestic bank is 12v 220Ah)

Thank's ned. So the router works on a specific voltage only? As opposed to a varient from say 11v - 18v? (Which most 12v car devices to due to fluctuations in power output).

Yes. Think of it this way, most laptops only work on a certain voltage either, and it's the job of the power supply adaptor to convert variable voltage into something the laptop can use.
    Surely current isin't an issue as the device will only draw what it needs? (My domestic bank is 12v 220Ah)

It's a limitation of your adapter again. If the UMR needs 1.5 amps, and you choose for example a 12v charger from an iPod that can only deliver 500 milliamps, the UMR will probably not power on, and if it does, the range of the WiFi it would transmit would be piddling. You're as well off using the correct specifications.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ned - makes perfect sense. Think you have the option of buying the 12v kit when buying the modem, will look into it further when I actually buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Charged car is 14.2 on zero maintenance battery, 13.8 on old type battery. About 10.6V to 16V is operational range.

Many routers will run off that range just with a cigar plug to jack. Contact the manufacturer.

There are about 8 makes of 3G router easily available, not just the Dovado. Some do use 5V, so need a regulating power adapter.

I think the PCMCIA card version of the Dovado router didn't need a regulator, just a wired adaptor. I don't know what the UMR needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

hi, i am thinking of buying a 3 usb modem and a wireless router, is it possible to plug a usb modem into a router to make it wireless or is taht just wishful thinking? if i can do this, what are the make and models i need. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

mynameis.. wrote: »
    hi, i am thinking of buying a 3 usb modem and a wireless router, is it possible to plug a usb modem into a router to make it wireless or is taht just wishful thinking? if i can do this, what are the make and models i need. thanks

Hi,

Absolutely. That's the purpose of the DOVADO USB Mobile Broadband Router (UMR). Here's a list of the USB modems it supports today: http//www.dovado.com/modems

If you're looking for a retailer in Ireland, you can order one from http://www.commsoft.ie.

Further information on this product is available on http://www.dovado.com/ie

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

Team DOVADO

Also Dlink, Netgear, and about half a dozen others make them too.

But I must commend Dovado for being brave and talking to real customers.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »

In fairness that's why i'm considering buying one - after sales support on this forum seems to be top notch. Keep up the good work!

watty wrote: »

Well, it's not so much a question of courage, as it is more our intention to stay in touch with our fellow users, get your feedback, and further improve the product with new bells and whistles.

For those of you who have been waiting for new features, I can happily say that your patience shall be rewarded quite soon. We will be releasing a new major release, version 3.0 during mid-February (or so). It incorporates a lot of features many of you have requested in the past, and if there's anything we missed out on, we'll look into it if time & resources avail to us. There's going to be a number of DOVADO-unique features you won't be able to come across with the other brands out there. We promise to raise eyebrows! :eek:

;)

PS: If anyone is attending the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next month, come on by our exhibition stand at the Swedish Pavilion and get in touch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My O2 broadband currently isnt (its EDGE - I live in arse end of beyond), but O2 are supposedly updating their masts. If and when this happens I will definately invest in a UMR and judging by just how open and user friendly DOVADO appear to be the one I will have a punt on.

:eek: I dread to think how many forums they must browse to have a presence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buttony

DOVADO wrote: »
    Well, it's not so much a question of courage, as it is more our intention to stay in touch with our fellow users, get your feedback, and further improve the product with new bells and whistles.

For those of you who have been waiting for new features, I can happily say that your patience shall be rewarded quite soon. We will be releasing a new major release, version 3.0 during mid-February (or so). It incorporates a lot of features many of you have requested in the past, and if there's anything we missed out on, we'll look into it if time & resources avail to us. There's going to be a number of DOVADO-unique features you won't be able to come across with the other brands out there. We promise to raise eyebrows! :eek:

;)

PS: If anyone is attending the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next month, come on by our exhibition stand at the Swedish Pavilion and get in touch!

Does this mean a software update or a new modem. I'm debating whether I should order now or wait until new release

Buttony wrote: »
    Does this mean a software update or a new modem. I'm debating whether I should order now or wait until new release

Hi,

Software update. Definitely a software update. Whether you order it now or later is entirely up to you. The software update is done by you as we roll out new firmwares all the time.

Here's a list of all the features and modems we support today. More of both is coming in the 3.0 release:

http://www.dovado.com/ie
    http://www.dovado.com/modems

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buttony

Thats great. Thank You

Would this Router be configurable to work with Nintendo (DS and Wii)?

Absolutely. I use mine with :

iPhone
    Wii
    3 PC's
    3 Laptops
    Xbox 360.

Cheers!

Here's a great tool if you want to know which TCP/UDP ports to open up in the DOVADO UMR for various games, game consoles and applications.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/DOVADO/UMR_Broadband/UMR_Broadbandindex.htm

• Advertisement

Here's also another tool to do the reverse.....i.e., to check if your operator's allowing inbound traffic on certain ports.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mcgeeney

Dumb question - does the protocal actually used by the modem make any difference?

I'm using a Huawei E270 on O2, but the local mast isn't 3G enabled - so I'm limited to the the 234kbs or so that their EDGE network supplies.

Presumably the USB Router would still work fine, and once the network is upgraded I'll have the benefit of the increased speeds. Correct?

Yes indeed. The router will work fine on Edge, you can set the router to work on 3g, 3g with fallback to Edge if the 3g network is unavailable, or Edge only.

Hi,

There are three modes of connection available in the DOVADO UMR:

1: Auto Mode. The preference is 3G (UMTS/HSPA), however, if not available, it'll try the 2G (GPRS/EDGE) network.

2: 3G ONLY. This allows you to force the connection to only use the 3G (UMTS/HSPA) network.

3: 2G ONLY. The same as above, but for 2G (GPRS/EDGE).

Below is a pic illustrating that. You'll note at the top it shows the signal level (one of the many coming features in 3.0 release).

force3g.jpg

Hello all,

First of all, we owe it to you to say that you're a great crowd!

We love getting your feedback. It's thanks to you, that we also stay in shape and keep us competitive!

As a reward, we'd like to let a few of you in on being early adopters of coming features by joining us in the DOVADO Beta Team. This will be our first such venture overseas, and we look forward endeavoring it with you!

Our discussions regarding this topic shall be entirely hosted later on at http://www.mobile-broadband.eu/forum. The site requires you to register. It'd be easiest to use the same usernames as you have here so lines don't get tangled up!

As a friendly disclaimer, we would also like to say that discussions of the beta progress being brought up here or elsewhere without seeking our permission will result in TERMINATION of membership in the DOVADO Beta Team.

To qualify, we'd need you to email in to beta@dovado.com with the following information. We promise not to disclose this information outside our company nor to use it for spam or whatever.

- Full Name:
    - Address (in case of any HW swapping):
    - Email address:
    - Phone number:
    - username on both forums:

- UMR Serial number (located on the bottom of the UMR: "0016A6xxxxxx").
    - Mobile broadband (3G) operator:
    - Consumer/Business subscription?:
    - USB modem (manufacturer + model):
    - Access Point Name (APN) you're using:

- Any other kind of fixed-line ISP? (ADSL, CaTV, Ethernet, fixed-wireless?).
    - Subscribed speed on the fixed-line ISP:

- Computer specs:
    - Operating System(s):
    - Web browser(s) and version(s):

Many thanks and enjoy the weekend, everyone!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may be interested to hear that 3 ireland are going to use femto cells from Nextivity

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12190/comms/3-in-technology-deal-to-ensure-quality-in-door-broadband

If Dorado had a hardened outside unit ( Ireland is wet ...please note :) ) that broadcast 2.4ghz through walls then it might be an idea to look into it before these femtocells wreck your business model in low signal areas which is most of Ireland actually for 3g.

Of couse in high signal areas it is not an issue because your normal unit will work fine .

Weatherproof plastic box and cat5e with the 12V on it has been used by a well known ISP that bought Dovado routers.

This is not rocket science. I suspect 3 wants to use Femto cells so that WiFi gadgets can't use it and each user has to take out a separate account.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You may be interested to hear that 3 ireland are going to use femto cells from Nextivity.

This is just a 3G repeater. It's there to fulfill the 100% coverage criteria that the government has placed on the opeartor THREE. This will be most likely a heavily subsidized piece of equipment (if not free!) that'll be present in those out of reach areas.

You can see one in action here on Infoferenda's site (as they supply them as well):

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The nextivity broadcasts from an outside to an inside unit at 5.8ghz where the Infoferenda unit is cabled.

• Advertisement

True! Same objective, different means.

Advertisement