Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car- Dealer or private?

• 12-07-2008 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I am currently in the market for a used Ford Focus or Seat Ibiza, max €9000.
    I have been to see 3 Focus' at dealers and all had problems.

First one- I rang while on the way to the dealer's asking could I test drive it when I got there, and when I turned the key I noticed the temp guage was already half way... seems car had been warmed up. No service history either so walked away.

Second one... usual rubbish "Excellent condition, first to see will buy"- the thing had electric windows not working and the speedo wasn't working!
    Of course the dealer said "God I hadn't even noticed that..."
    Said thank you and walked away...

Third one- same rubbish in ad- The leather surround on the gearbox was completely detached from the base- the whole thing slid around while you changed gear.. and you could lift it up and see mechanical bits of the gearbox... I walked away.

(If anyone wants a link to the second two on Carzone just PM me).

There is 2 fantastic looking Focus' on Carzone right now as private, and they are only 5 mins away from my home. They are cheaper also. Only issue is no warranty- however are you better off going private? We all know of dodgy dealers clocking cars etc, and not honouring warranties, and I think a private person would be easier to haggle with. Also I want to go to one of those companies that check cars for you before you buy them and would be worried/paranoid that they would know the dealers well from visiting them regularly and might go easier on the cars because of this. Plus going private saves me the hell that is driving around the Long Mile Road/M50 area.

BPE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I would always go private. The reason being that while you might get a 6 month warranty with a dealer, that will be no use to you if anything goes wrong after then whereas themoney saved in going private is useful to you for any potential repairs for the length of time you have the car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only advantage of buying from a dealer is the warranty but you do pay more when buying so in reality the benefits may be negligible.
    If you are buying a used car (even from a dealer) get it checked by a competent independent mechanic - even your local mechanic may help but the AA do checks also (http://www.aaireland.ie/vehicle-inspections/default.asp).
    In a sense the warranty usually covers engine and gearbox, both of which shouldn't need fixing and your mechanic should spot any issues thus avoiding buying into such problems. Your mechanic should also spot suspension, bodywork and any other problems that wouldn't be covered under a warranty and could cost a lot to get right.
    At the moment its a buyers market so once your sights are set on a car then get it checked and if it seems sound put in an offer. Remember that many dealers will be trying to shift cars quickly (especially with the July increase in sales) and a private person may be emotionally attached to a car and value it more than its actually worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

OK someone in the trade correct me if I am wrong and hopefully I will be.

I know a few lads who were in the trade up untill recently in sligo. I was told that the way commision worked is you sell a new car but dont get any commision until either three months pass or the trade in you take is moved on. The work carried out on the trade in is taken away from the car you sold so it is in the interest of everyone to do as little as possible with the trade in and move is on as quickly as posible. If the car is sold and the person comes back with a snag list it dosent matter as the commision is already paid from the origional sale and the garage foots the bill not the salespersons commision. Basically the two lads work in different dealers and the bottom line was take in the trade in clean it up and pass it on leaving it up to the person buying it to find the problems.

I bought a used s60 and this is how I approached the deal. I found a few bits on the forecourt collected the car when they were taken care of. Then I drove the car for three weeks and booked it back in for everything I could possibly find. I was dealing with Caseys in castlebar and even tough I know they didnt give the car the works before selling it I will go back to them as the way I was dealt with when I came back the second time was excellent.

Advertisement