Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking with car in gear??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ION08 wrote: »
    Starting a car to have it leap forward is such a rookie thing to do.

I aways start the car with clutch depressed and also to relieve load on start up.

This has become as subconscious as moving the gear stick to ensure its in neutral at least

Again, automatics ftw :) None of these issues and most/all? won't come out of Park without holding down the footbrake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

ION08 wrote: »
    Starting a car to have it leap forward is such a rookie thing to do. I aways start the car with clutch depressed and also to relieve load on start up.This has become as subconscious as moving the gear stick to ensure its in neutral at least

At 30 years of age. ? He was taught as he was taught. He was not expecting me to have left it in gear.

A potential geriatric error, rather than a rookie mistake.

Personally, I depress clutch and blagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

If you go on the ferry, they always tell you to put your handbrake on and put it in gear (first)

• When parking in the drive, flat private land etc I leave the handbrake off and in first gear (the car wouldn't move even if not in gear but leave it in first just in case). Leaving the hand brake pulled all the time means the cable is constantly under stress. Also I often have the car parked up for maybe two days at a time and even in that time the brakes stick and you have the uneasy thud as you pull away.

When parking anywhere less secure than the drive I use both 1st and the handbrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I carry wheel chocks, just to be sure to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭martineire

Tracyk wrote: »
    Getting back to this question :-)

Just another quick question. When I stop in traffic on a hill and put my foot on the break and also pull up the handbreak fully until it stops and then take my foot off the break the car rolls a bit but then when I go to pull up the handbreak again with my foot off the break I can engage the handbreak another small bit (1 click) and the car stops rolling. Seem that when I engage the handbreak fully with my foot on the break the car will roll just very slowly once I take my foot off the break but by taking my foot off the break I then can get an extra bit (1 click) on the handbreak and the car stops. Why is this? It doesn't really bother me but I'm just wondering.
    This car has a rear brake system that you may not be familiar with, and what you are experiencing is fairly typical.
    Using the foot brake pedal operates disc pads that grip the disc, but on these cars the handbrake system is contained in a smallish drum, that is integral with the disc itself - so in fact you have two systems in one.
    The foot brake pads are self adjusting, but the handbrake is not......ideally it doesn't need to be as the shoes only bear on the drum when the car is stationary - wear is therefore minimal.
    If you were to adjust the shoes (which is done via a hole in the drum) your symptoms would be less. The fact that you can pull the hand brake on a fraction more is that the car rolls slightly with the foot brake released - and the shoes can move a fraction more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I was taught to park in gear with handbrake.

My son, who is 30 years younger, was away and he needed his exotic to be started every day, so I did.
    He came back from his holidays and asked if I drove it, I had not, he started and the car lurched forward as I had left it in gear. He has TEN years driving experience.

He had never heard of it.

He obviously didn't learn much in his 10 years driving. It should be a natural reflex to check the car is out of gear before turning the key to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

But it's ok to put 100 ft lbs of torque through the same bearings and shafts?

100?? :p

When parking in the drive, flat private land etc I leave the handbrake off and in first gear (the car wouldn't move even if not in gear but leave it in first just in case). Leaving the hand brake pulled all the time means the cable is constantly under stress. Also I often have the car parked up for maybe two days at a time and even in that time the brakes stick and you have the uneasy thud as you pull away.

When parking anywhere less secure than the drive I use both 1st and the handbrake.

The cable is designed to be under stress it isn't a piece of knicker elastic.... The strain that's applied to the cable by a fully engaged handbrake is about one twentieth on it's breaking strain. It's called safety factor. If there's a thud from the brakes when moving off it would be no harm to take off the drums and give everything a good clean up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

as I recall you shouldn't stop a diesel in gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

corktina wrote: »
    as I recall you shouldn't stop a diesel in gear

That'd be because an older Diesel engine could start itself and continue to run till it hits something

Don't think it applies as much nowadays with immobilisers, more sophisticated injection etc

• jca wrote: »
    The cable is designed to be under stress it isn't a piece of knicker elastic.... The strain that's applied to the cable by a fully engaged handbrake is about one twentieth on it's breaking strain. It's called safety factor. If there's a thud from the brakes when moving off it would be no harm to take off the drums and give everything a good clean up.

Not according to my mechanic, he said that loads of people are having problems with the handbrake in the nct and the reason is they are having the cable under stress all the time and that if possible it's much better to leave it off, especially when parking for more than a day at a time (which I often do).

I learned all this with my last car, only for my mechanic was able to do a job to get it through the nct it would have cost a nice bit to replace a lot of bits and pieces. Problems he said were due to the car spending so much time with the handbrake pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭andy t

always leave in gear & hand brake,,, cant be too safe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That'd be because an older Diesel engine could start itself and continue to run till it hits something

Don't think it applies as much nowadays with immobilisers, more sophisticated injection etc

Saw that happen once with a little Kubota tractor with a small trailer on the back a dew years back.

Myself and a mate were standing down the yard when we heard the tractor pottering down the track. Awfully surprised when it cleared the hedge and nobody was on it. Wasnt going slower then walking pase but it was lucky it didn't hit anything. More surprised than anything, 'who the fook is driving that' before we realised it had bump started itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Not according to my mechanic, he said that loads of people are having problems with the handbrake in the nct and the reason is they are having the cable under stress all the time and that if possible it's much better to leave it off, especially when parking for more than a day at a time (which I often do).

I learned all this with my last car, only for my mechanic was able to do a job to get it through the nct it would have cost a nice bit to replace a lot of bits and pieces. Problems he said were due to the car spending so much time with the handbrake pulled.

only a grease mokey could dream that up.
    Bet a his customers spend a lot of time discussing why their car fails nct

Man up and do a little DIY then you'll discover you been paying too much for shoddy work and be able to spot a good mechanic when you need one

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I carry wheel chocks, just to be sure to be sure.

Me too. I also fix a rope from the towing eye to the nearest tree for extra safety

• visual wrote: »
    only an grease mokey could dream that up.
    Bet a his customers spend a lot of time discussing why their car fails nct

Man up and do a little DIY then you'll discover you been paying too much for shoddy work and be able to spot a good mechanic when you need one

Clueless post.

The lad is a friend of mine and a very well respected and good mechanic. Only for I know him it could take two weekes before he has time to do stuff for you such is the volume of work he gets.

As for paying too much, he saved me a fortune on my last car and got it through the nct for 100's of euro less than it would have cost if he hadn't come up with little fixes and tricks for things that replacement would have meant expensive parts and a lot labour.

Complete bollox!!! This is what happens when farmers sons make themselves "mechanics" Have you ever seen a handbrake cable?

• jca wrote: »
    Complete bollox!!! This is what happens when farmers sons make themselves "mechanics" Have you ever seen a handbrake cable?

Yes I will believe some random person on the internet over a respected mechanic with years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yes I will believe some random person on the internet over a respected mechanic with years of experience.
    I also had (he's retired now) a respected mechanic with years of experience. Very busy, you had to book an appointment a couple of weeks in advance. And he said exactly opposite thing - use your handbrake as often as you can. :P

So word against word.

1:1

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Clueless post.

The lad is a friend of mine and a very well respected and good mechanic. Only for I know him it could take two weekes before he has time to do stuff for you such is the volume of work he gets.

As for paying too much, he saved me a fortune on my last car and got it through the nct for 100's of euro less than it would have cost if he hadn't come up with little fixes and tricks for things that replacement would have meant expensive parts and a lot labour.

Only you think he is with his tricks for fixes and don't use handbrake for what it is designed for. did he sell you a rock to place under the wheel to stop the car rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

What your "mechanic" is telling you is bs. Its like saying "Don't use the brakes, you'll only wear out the brake pads".

• Well the fact that the handbrake gets loose and has to be tightened makes it obvious enough that it is under stress so it can only help (even a small bit) to leave it off when parking up on level ground in secure locations. Obviously I use both the handbrake and 1st gear when parking anywhere other than private property.

Also in winter the brakes will often freeze on if using the handbrake so that's another reason to leave it off in winter if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would've thought that not using it would make it more prone to seizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Tracyk wrote: »
    Hi just wondering is it a good idea when parking your car and after putting the handbreak on to also put it in gear? Should your car move when it is in gear and the handbreak off. My car will move a bit, stop and move a bit again and so on by having it in gear alone (handbreak off) it doesn't actually stop the car the best way to describe it, it likes just bobbles along. Should by having it in gear alone stop the car from rolling. I'm asking this because what's the point in putting it in gear when handbreak is engaged if by having it in gear alone doesn't actually stop the car from rolling.

I always leave car in gear.
    If parked on incline/decline I also leave it with handbrake on, provided temperature is above 0 and won't go below -3 before car is used next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Well the fact that the handbrake gets loose and has to be tightened makes it obvious enough that it is under stress so it can only help (even a small bit) to leave it off when parking up on level ground in secure locations. Obviously I use both the handbrake and 1st gear when parking anywhere other than private property.

Also in winter the brakes will often freeze on if using the handbrake so that's another reason to leave it off in winter if possible.

I don't see the point, it's just developing a bad habit.

Most handbrake systems self adjust and even if not it's a simple job.

Car systems are engineered to work in much colder climates than Ireland.

Sitec wrote: »
    I don't see the point, it's just developing a bad habit.

Most handbrake systems self adjust and even if not it's a simple job.

Car systems are engineered to work in much colder climates than Ireland.

Exactly.

A wealthy mechanic making money telling people complete crap.

Advertisement