Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Safety Camera (What other offenses does it catch)

• 14-06-2014 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All. New user to the forum. This is the story behind the post. Was driving to the west last night on the N4/N5 and had had a passenger with me (the other half). Around 1am.

There was one car in front (about 50 metres in front) and one directly behind. We were doing 100Km on the money and the car in front looked as if it was doing 110 or so (hard to say exactly). The otherhalf had her seat back and was asleep (seatbelt on etc).

Just on the way into Ballinalack there was a safety camera that flashed when the car in front was pretty much right on it.

Question: Was he flashing at the other car or us (can you get points if the seat is back flat)?

And when they flash how close would the car have to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Fashion offences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A very special safety camera would be needed to see a passenger laying down flat!

If you weren't speeding you didn't get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fidia

A very special safety camera would be needed to see aapssenger laying down flat!

If you weren't speeding you didn't get done.

It was black dark and at the distance we were away dunno how the flash would help. But it didnt look like the guy in front was speeding..... quandary of quandaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

If they had any cop on the cameras would have anr to catch untaxed cars,oh but that be actually using yours brains when designing something for irish tax payers,another missed opportunity by government to do something constructive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

fidia wrote: »
    It was black dark and at the distance we were away dunno how the flash would help. But it didnt look like the guy in front was speeding..... quandary of quandaries.

Somebody was. The cameras catch speeding motorists - they don't do anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

When they go and develop picture there has to be no other car in it apart from the one that was speeding or they can't use it. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fidia

fmc3105 wrote: »
    When they go and develop picture there has to be no other car in it apart from the one that was speeding or they can't use it. Hope this helps.

Curious to know how close the car has to be to the camera

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Where are they developing those pictures? In 1995? ;):p
    I would hazard a guess they's digital these days.

Anyway, OP, the "safety" camera doesn't know if you're drunk, insane, on 20 different meds, have no insurance, tax or NCT, if the car is stolen, on fire or just belching smoke from the exhaust, has only three wheels, if you're asleep, texting, have a body in the boot, are swerving all over the road, carry a cyclist on your bonnet that you hit 5 miles down the road, have a gun, playing chicken with other motorists, doing donuts, roadraces or have taken the exhaust off the car and are now waking up the entire county.
    No, according to the RSA all those things are fine and dandy and it is speed and speed alone that kills, so as long as you rigidly and unthinkingly stick to the posted speedlimit with no consideration for anything or anyone else, you are a safe motorist and Gaybo loves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

There is no need to be smart Dr Fuzzenstein. The point of my post being that the picture has to have no other vehicle in it. Not how or what methods they use to obtain the picture from the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Where are they developing those pictures? In 1995? ;):p
    I would hazard a guess they's digital these days.

Anyway, OP, the "safety" camera doesn't know if you're drunk, insane, on 20 different meds, have no insurance, tax or NCT, if the car is stolen, on fire or just belching smoke from the exhaust, has only three wheels, if you're asleep, texting, have a body in the boot, are swerving all over the road, carry a cyclist on your bonnet that you hit 5 miles down the road, have a gun, playing chicken with other motorists, doing donuts, roadraces or have taken the exhaust off the car and are now waking up the entire county.
    No, according to the RSA all those things are fine and dandy and it is speed and speed alone that kills, so as long as you rigidly and unthinkingly stick to the posted speedlimit with no consideration for anything or anyone else, you are a safe motorist and Gaybo loves you.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There is no need to be smart Dr Fuzzenstein. The point of my post being that the picture has to have no other vehicle in it. Not how or what methods they use to obtain the picture from the camera.

Around about 1991 I drove into town (this was Germany), obeying the 50 km/h speedlimit when the car behind me decides to overtake me and he is just level with me as we're going past the speedtrap and I got flashed.
    I actually turned around and knocked on the door (this was the polizei) and told them what happened. They said the same thing. If more than one car is in the pic, it gets thrown out.
    Mind you, back then they did develop the pictures :P digital not quite being mainstream back then.
    Don't worry, I'm not being smart against you in particular, I just can't help it. You did leave the door for a gentle ribbing open, it has to be said...;)

Advertisement