Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New watch

Options
  • 23-11-2014 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I'm looking for a watch that I can program training sessions into, wireless upload and a 30hr+
    Battery life whilst in GPS mode. Aesthetics and size are irrelevant but cost is very relevant.
    I've done some research myself but would value people's opinions here.
    Thanks,
    Ed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Ed, not too many watches will have upwards of 30 hours of battery life (and I believe in most cases, you'll have to engage some form of smart recording feature that only records a track-point every few minutes). Only the Fenix and the Suunto Ambit spring to mind, neither of which is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

920XT fits the bill as has UltraTrac GPS mode that should do for up to 40 hours but its exp at ~€460

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Thanks guys, was looking at these watches. I suppose I was hoping there was something cheaper out there. You pay for what you get but it's hard to justify paying so much at the moment.
    Will Check out amazon tonight all the same, might get a deal.
    I do like the Fenix though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

You should have a look at reviews on dcrainmaker if you haven't already.
    Some watches can extend battery time by reducing the sampling rate of GPS recording, e.g. from most having a default of 1sec, you can extend this on some watches to get more overall recording time from one charge. Obviously, you lose accuracy, but if you're on the move for 30 hours, you're likely not moving that fast that it would have a huge difference.

The Fenix looks like it will do what you need. At a higher pricepoint, the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak also has 50hour capacity. At a bit lower price point, the Ambit 2S & 2R claim 25hour battery life.
    The thing to note with these, is that these top levels are mostly at 60sec sampling rate.

DCRainmaker has all the info on his site for each of the models when go into his detailed reviews.

• Advertisement

Thanks spurscormac I wasn't aware of dcrainmaker ill check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Ed Mc wrote: »
    Thanks spurscormac I wasn't aware of dcrainmaker ill check it out.

At your peril... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm looking for a watch that I can program training sessions into, wireless upload and a 30hr+
    Battery life whilst in GPS mode. Aesthetics and size are irrelevant but cost is very relevant.
    I've done some research myself but would value people's opinions here.
    Thanks,
    Ed.

Sounds like Fenix 2 / Ambit 3 or Polar V800 is what you need.

All feature programmable sessions, up to 50 hour battery on 1 second GPS tracking. BT sync via phone (V800 & Ambit3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

At the risk of offering a contrary opinion - do you absolutely need the long battery life in a watch?
    I see from your log that CNM100 is your goal for next year - but how many times during the life of this watch (or specifically during your training) will you require the battery life?
    If you are looking for a watch that can do advanced workouts etc. then you could get all of this with any of the lesser models - without shelling out lots, during you goal races a paceband / stop watch might be a better option as there is no risk of these running out of juice.
    If you are primarily interested in having the battery life for recording the event or for pacing during the event then perhaps a different set-up might be more appropriate.
    I've been looking at a few of the polar watches that use an external rechargeable GPS pod, get 2 of these pads and swap them out and they should integrate with the watch and allow information over a longer time - the battery life of the pod is approx 20hrs and the watch is longer than the 30hr you are looking for?? - Perhaps AKW can answer as he is familiar with the Polar features. (Can a 2nd sensor be paired on the go without reseting data?) Or use a battery pack to charge the pod on the go.
    For what its worth I'd love either a Fenix2 or Ambit2 or 3, for much the same reasons as yourself. However I know that even during most of my training runs / training races I just about reach the limits of my 18hr 310XT so I would really only have a use for it during the 1 or 2 races in the year where I go longer than that.
    If you just want a record of the track then ebay can provide reasonably prices gps trackers.

b.harte wrote: »
    At the risk of offering a contrary opinion - do you absolutely need the long battery life in a watch?
    I see from your log that CNM100 is your goal for next year - but how many times during the life of this watch (or specifically during your training) will you require the battery life?
    If you are looking for a watch that can do advanced workouts etc. then you could get all of this with any of the lesser models - without shelling out lots, during you goal races a paceband / stop watch might be a better option as there is no risk of these running out of juice.
    If you are primarily interested in having the battery life for recording the event or for pacing during the event then perhaps a different set-up might be more appropriate.
    I've been looking at a few of the polar watches that use an external rechargeable GPS pod, get 2 of these pads and swap them out and they should integrate with the watch and allow information over a longer time - the battery life of the pod is approx 20hrs and the watch is longer than the 30hr you are looking for?? - Perhaps AKW can answer as he is familiar with the Polar features. (Can a 2nd sensor be paired on the go without reseting data?) Or use a battery pack to charge the pod on the go.
    For what its worth I'd love either a Fenix2 or Ambit2 or 3, for much the same reasons as yourself. However I know that even during most of my training runs / training races I just about reach the limits of my 18hr 310XT so I would really only have a use for it during the 1 or 2 races in the year where I go longer than that.
    If you just want a record of the track then ebay can provide reasonably prices gps trackers.

I suppose the extreme battery life I'm looking for is me just trying to cover all the bases.
    My forerunner 110 died at mile 52 of a 100k and left me a bit lost over the last ten miles.
    I know it's an entry level watch but felt if I was going to buy another watch I would get the best I could. Although we're talking €400+ And I can't really afford it at least I would have the peace of mind that it would suit all my needs and I wouldn't be shopping for a new watch in a few years.
    I'm not sure what a pace band is nor have I ever ran using a stop watch so I'm not sure how to pace myself against one.
    Yes the long battery life was so I could keep pace( or see just how slow I was getting) and record an event.
    Thanks for the input and I suspect my wife would thank your contrary opinion too!(we need a new tumble dryer).

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what a pace band is nor have I ever ran using a stop watch so I'm not sure how to pace myself against one.
    STEP1: Make Pace Band (Every 5km lap splits for Portumna)
    STEP 2: Use Stopwatch / timer to track & assess pace.
    STEP 3: Profit (and buy the tumble drier)?

Use you current level Garmin for the interval / short stuff.

...ran using a stop watch so I'm not sure how to pace myself against one.
    Also, (forgot this bit) If you are already using a gps watch for pacing you are doing this already as the watch is counting - just like a stopwatch.
    You possible have an annoying beeeeeeeeep telling you when you reach a KM or mile marker, if you turn of the audible / vibrate alarm you will still be running at the same pace - just not relying on technology to inform you of it the watch isn't dictating your speed just informing you of it - unless you have it set to specific pace bands - which would usually be for shorter training workouts.
    Just my own opinion.
    [Side ramble] I ran a 1/2 lately (The Gauntlet, Kerry) and all I could hear around me was lots of beeping all within a few yards of the mile markers, and everyone checking their watches as if to confirm??? :confused:

The wife and Inlaws pooled together and bought me the fenix2 for my birthday:)

we still need a new tumble dryer

do they know how long you will be able to run with that yolk? they'll never see you/
    Well wear.

Advertisement