Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

201 Class Locomotives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I don't think that Belmont's locomotive requirements have been fully worked out yet - anything I have seen has suggested that they will be going for two non-PP 201s. There are even rumours that 201 itself will be resurrected.

I had assumed that 216 was being returned to service as a replacement for 230. They don't have a lot of choices in terms of PP locomotives - if 230 is scrapped, the only other spare left is 225, which is accident damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hungerford wrote: »
    I don't think that Belmont's locomotive requirements have been fully worked out yet - anything I have seen has suggested that they will be going for two non-PP 201s. There are even rumours that 201 itself will be resurrected.

I had assumed that 216 was being returned to service as a replacement for 230. They don't have a lot of choices in terms of PP locomotives - if 230 is scrapped, the only other spare left is 225, which is accident damaged.
    why couldn't they just transfer the relevant equipment to some of the non pp locos?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Of the non pp locos stored, 211 is/was a right beast of a loco. It was probably the best performing 201. Some drivers even thought that it had a higher rated engine installed as it seemed to accelerate faster than any other 201. It also recorded some record sector times with Mk3s rakes that no other 201 has matched in service.

I can't see any orange 201s being brought back. They have been left out in the elements too long and most have had parts removed. 210 is sitting on 223's old worn out bogies and I don't think it's brake lines were ever reconnected.

As it is there is more than enough 201s around, not all are in use every day. Not all the 071s are in use either. 076 has been stored since overhaul in Inchicore out the west end of the depot for 7 months now.

There is talk of more Mk4 sets coming back into use though so that will require more 201s off freight and less 071s sitting around.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why they are using a PP 201 for the Belmond services.

Same reason IE use PP 201s on freights. That's all there is to use. Also it gives IE the option of using the Belmond 201/s if needed to haul a Mk4 set for any reason.

Word is though that Belmond were looking at purchasing 2 of the orange 201s but that plan has gone for what ever reason. It now looks like just one 201 and not an orange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

210 is sitting on 223's old worn out bogies and I don't think it's brake lines were ever reconnect

210 has bigger problems, piston came out through the crankcase on a Waterford service departing Heuston and that was the last time it operated.
    Word is though that Belmond were looking at purchasing 2 of the orange 201s but that plan has gone for what ever reason. It now looks like just one 201 and not an orange one.

Unusual for IE to turn down cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

233 failed on the Claremorris to Waterford laden timber in Athy today. I saw 078 pass through Bagenalstown station from a distance at 8:15 with the train. 233 was left in Athy.

220 was going around unsilenced last year, can't say if it still is as I've been out of the loop for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

233 and 078 hauling the laden Westport to Waterford timber train.

With one 201 Enterprise link down for the next year or so what 201s are currently on it the other 2 sets.

233 is on freights alot lately while 206 and 208 are in for overhaul and painting. 206 is reportedly in the full new Enterprise livery complete with the new logos that 209 has yet to have applied before it's painted work gets too weathered. 206 should be back out in a few weeks.

I see 209 around Connolly shed a good bit but I haven't observed any of the others. 228 is a rare loco to show up on an Enterprise since it's overhaul last year.

I saw an Intercity liveried 201 on the Enterprise about a half hour ago. Was too far away to make out what one it was. Probably 227 or 231.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I saw an Intercity liveried 201 on the Enterprise about a half hour ago. Was too far away to make out what one it was. Probably 227 or 231.

A set past me about 20mins ago at Killester. I was looking down from a bridge so all I could see what that it was an IC 201, either 227 or 231. I'd like to find out where 228 is hiding.

Today, the Enterprise locos were 207 and 231 with 8209 spare at Connolly shed.

Withdrawn 216 also looks to be receiving attention at Inchicore with it's main engine removed. Strongly suspected of receiving a full overhaul in preparation of becoming a Belmond 201 rather than return to regular IE service.

A more complete version of the new Enterprise livery first teased by 8209 is now on 206. Also note 087 peaking out behind with it's bogies missing. Looks class imo.

206NewEnterprise.jpg

Who came up with the design NIR or IE?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

A more complete version of the new Enterprise livery first teased by 8209 is now on 206. Also note 087 peaking out behind with it's bogies missing. Looks class imo.

206NewEnterprise.jpg

Looks really well, 206 also seems to have EVN numbers on the cab fronts.

GM228

I don't know where the full EVN is or it hasn't been applied yet. 8209 got away out of the paint shop without it's EVNs. The EVNs for the 201s will divide the fleet up into it's 3 sub classes. The non push pull, push pull and push pull with NIR equipment. If another 201 is fitted out to replace 230 for example a digit on it's EVN will change from a 2 to a 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I don't know where the full EVN is or it hasn't been applied yet. 8209 got away out of the paint shop without it's EVNs. The EVNs for the 201s will divide the fleet up into it's 3 sub classes. The non push pull, push pull and push pull with NIR equipment. If another 201 is fitted out to replace 230 for example a digit on it's EVN will change from a 2 to a 3.

It's hard to make out from the photo but looking at the 206 on the front of the loco you can see it appears to be offset from the centre and there appears to be white numbers also suggesting an EVN number.

GM228

I'd guess that 208 and 209 would have British EVNs? 92-70 instead of 92-60?

I'd guess that 208 and 209 would have British EVNs? 92-70 instead of 92-60?

The EGVs got Irish ones after NIR took ownership of them. The RPSI Cravens got Irish EVNs too.

GM228 wrote: »
    It's hard to make out from the photo but looking at the 206 on the front of the loco you can see it appears to be offset from the centre and there appears to be white numbers also suggesting an EVN number.

GM228

Yeah, it's only part of it like the 071s only have part of it on the cab front. The full thing is more important and has to applied at least once on each side under the UIC rules. The partial one is purely optional.

• Advertisement

Here is the no.2 end of the loco. Very different, looks better imo, pitty it will be hidden most of the time against the DD stock.

206no2end.png

The EGVs got Irish ones after NIR took ownership of them. The RPSI Cravens got Irish EVNs too.

I think the NIR Enterprise coaches got UK EVNs though. Pretty sure I saw one in the new livery.

I think the NIR Enterprise coaches got UK EVNs though. Pretty sure I saw one in the new livery.

Think your correct.

The colors have almost being lifted off Renfe HS trains in Spain, almost identical.

228 behind Connolly shed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

27-Feb-15
    226 on Mayo-Waterford laden timber train. Passed Portarlington at 1412

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

217 and DVT 4001 gave it socks up the mile tunnel on the 16:20 cork heuston.

215 & 224 on Cork duties today.

226 pulled into Waterford with a 20 minutes late running timber service.

• Advertisement

226 visited Connolly this morning to take the RPSI Cravens set back to Inchicore. Looked like it had new or different bogie bearings on it's no2 end.

Advertisement