Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoe with good toe protection

• 02-02-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Anyone know of a good running shoe with a proper toe guard. I switched from ASICS 2170 rang because I go through both toes in 3 to 5 weeks (about 150 miles). I have been using Brooks Adrenaline - the GTS 12 was perfect and it never wore through. Naturally, they have changed their design and the new GTS lasted 5 weeks.
    Any alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Suggest you get your feet measured properly as holes are a big indicator of runners being too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

I wear size 9 in a shoe and 9.5 in a runner. Definitely not too small - might be too big but I tried a 9 a couple of years back and it was way too tight.
    I have been wearing the same size for more than thirty years. I've only had a problem since the manufacturers stopped putting the extra bit of leather (or plastic) over the toe. I have an old pair of Brooks with better protection and zero wear in the toe but they have had too many miles put in them.
    Any shoes out there with the plastic covering a bit of the toe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

oldrunner wrote: »
    I wear size 9 in a shoe and 9.5 in a runner. Definitely not too small - might be too big but I tried a 9 a couple of years back and it was way too tight.
    I have been wearing the same size for more than thirty years. I've only had a problem since the manufacturers stopped putting the extra bit of leather (or plastic) over the toe. I have an old pair of Brooks with better protection and zero wear in the toe but they have had too many miles put in them.
    Any shoes out there with the plastic covering a bit of the toe?

Not in running shoes, some trail type shoes will have a tougher material and others that are goretex lined will be stronger too.

Based on what you are saying, I can confidently tell you your running shoes are too small. The current Brooks are coming up about 1/4 size smaller than the GTS14 and I would hazard a guess (educated) that you should be wearing a 10 in your running shoes.

When a shoe is small, as the foot elongates under running load the material becomes strained over the toebox. Repeated strain causes the fabric to fatigue and break.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Thanks
    I will try a 10 on for fit and see how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Toe guards are there to protect your toes from external knocks, not to keep your toes contained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Go to a cobbler and get a patch put on the inside for abour 4-5euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

A square of duck tape inside will get you additional miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Go to a cobbler and get a patch put on the inside for abour 4-5euro.

AK bray recommended the wife do that with her asics, €6 to get done, but then she got pregnant and hasn't ran since,😄😄😄

Advertisement