Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of adding a subscription to website already designed

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hello,

Curious to know if anyone could give me a ball park figure on the cost a web design company would charge for adding a user login and paid subscription (setup with paypal) to an already existing website?

I have designed and created the site but need to add a paid subscription to it - I know I could do Joomla etc. and use a plugin already created but i can't design Joomla sites.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Adding the subscription and login itself is a doddle....

HOWEVER what does the subscription give you access to ? Existing pages / content or new content ?

What way is the current site set up (e.g. is there a controller/header file that you could check a session variable / login and redirect accordingly) ?

How big is the existing site, and do existing pages need to be subscription-only ? Or are there lots of new pages to be added ?

PLUS what happens if they forget their password ?

PLUS what happens when the subscription expires ?

Based on the above questions alone, you could be talking about anything from €400 to a couple of thousand, so there's no "ball park" without having an idea of the spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Truss

Single payment access to the entire website for one year, a standard home/about us/terms etc. would be accessible to the public, but to gain access to the other pages would require subscription. Within the subscriber pages are pdf e-book downloads.

Basically one payment access to everything, any new content added gets added without any extra charge.

"What way is the current site set up (e.g. is there a controller/header file that you could check a session variable / login and redirect accordingly)" - not a notion what you mean...:o

"PLUS what happens if they forget their password ?" - that would need an email option to email their password/change of password to them.

"PLUS what happens when the subscription expires?" - ideally an email would be sent out informing them their account will expire in say 4 weeks, then in 1 week, then in 24 hours sort of thing - if it wasn't difficult or expensive to add to the site an optino for auto renewal then great, otherwise it would just have to be done manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

You should check out paypal, I've that set up for one of my sites: www.medrevision.org

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Would be handy enough to implement. Have one authentication file control what pages a user can or cannot view - if they are a paid up logined user they see everything. If not they only see the basic site.

Payments probably best done through Paypal - Prob cheapest and easiest to implement.

PM me if you want someone to implement this or need more advice. Isnt a huge job (providing the website is correctly designed in the first place)

Advertisement