Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths learning resources

• 17-10-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hello

I am hitting 30 next year and have decided to get college degree in engineering. Tried working in business environment, but I have found it to be very boring. What I love is DIY and trying understand how thing works.
    I have not decided field I would like to study it yet, but I have plenty of time to make my mind.
    My problem is that I am not good at maths and have never been. I hate maths! Its miracle that I have actually passed maths in school....

I understand that I have to start studying maths NOW if I want to start studying engineering next year. And I need to start with very very basics.

So far I am using khans academy, but I found that I need to have written examples. What would you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone who starts an Eng course is assumed to have completed the Leaving curriculum wise. So Junior and Leaving Cert school books would be a start.

Have you contacted any IT's Uni's for advice? They'll be much more well up on what a mature student would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

In tallaght IT they put on additional maths classes throughout the year to help people struggling. Obviously you need to be doing a course with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

http://www.mlc.ul.ie/
    A lot of people aren't good at maths for lots of reasons! I attended UL as a Mature Student and there's' a Maths Learning centre that is a fantastic resource.
    Engineering maths exam papers for semester 1 would be a good jumping off point http://media.wix.com/ugd/70b98b_74e59e3fa18650f384eda252426fc2d9.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No point in doing uni stuff if you haven't even started yet.

To me it'd be all about Leaving Cert stuff and starting at a similar level to other first year students.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Its been a good long while since I've used this book, but its excellent, lots of worked examples & builds on ideas in nice manageable steps. First section is leaving cert level, second is more advanced & would be great for the first year or two in college. (I've used an old edition, so might want to flick through it in a bookshop to confirm details).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1137031204/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1416099252&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

• Advertisement
Advertisement