Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the Hayfever Sufferers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

12 element wrote: »
    That works for YOU. It doesn't work for everyone...

Doesn't work for me. I'm taking antihistamines and nasal spray. No difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys why are ye suffering when there is no need to??

Use beconase nasal spray and prevalin spray also then opticrom eye drops and a zirtek tablet. These will sort any problems I get it as bad as anyone!! Try it it works !!

It may work for you- it certainly doesn't for me.
    Its not a one size fits all- different things will work for different people- and your approach is completely useless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

It may work for you- it certainly doesn't for me.
    Its not a one size fits all- different things will work for different people- and your approach is completely useless to me.

Use opticrom eye drops aswell!

Use opticrom eye drops aswell!

Errrr- yes, I have done. To no avail.
    You seem intent on trying to peddle your own mixture to the rest of us- regardless of the fact that hayfever is a collection of allergies/intolerances, which affect people in different ways.
    Frankly- I don't understand whats so hard to comprehend- people are different- and we react differently to stimuli (or medicines). There is no one-size-fits-all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Errrr- yes, I have done. To no avail.
    You seem intent on trying to peddle your own mixture to the rest of us- regardless of the fact that hayfever is a collection of allergies/intolerances, which affect people in different ways.
    Frankly- I don't understand whats so hard to comprehend- people are different- and we react differently to stimuli (or medicines). There is no one-size-fits-all.

Just trying to help. Sorry I did! Ok best of luck hope u find something that works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hayfever has been so so bad the last few days, I had got a prescription from my doc about a month ago, finally gave in today and got it, a nasal spray- avamys and eye drops opatanol, has anyone used either of these? So far so good, my nose has stopped running and my eyes are not as itchy, bloody better work, the two of them cost nearly €40,I can take a tablet too if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

I hate this time of year, the antihistamines along with the nasal spray usual do me from April -> end of june however the last few days have been awful.

Night time is the worst, can't sleep because the room is like an oven and a medium dose of hayfever, cant open the Window because i'll be suffering with hayfever twice as bad then.

I'm looking at totally decontaminating my bedroom, any clothes myself and OH have worn will not go into the room because they would have pollen on them (change in the spare room) and have a shower before bed. I've also ordered a good HEPA approved air purifier and filter which should reduce the pollen count in the room and also cool it.

Suffering from this for 25 years, I must say I did use the Kenalog steroid injection a few years ago and it worked FANTASTICALLY. However the potential side effects are too great to risk taking it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Son has really bad hayfever (has in the past developed infected conjunctivitis from it) & the rest of us have it in more moderate stages.

This is what we do for chap that has it bad:
    Opticrom 4 times a day, Zirtec morning & evening, Hayfever Band on arm, vaseline around outside of nostrils, wear sunglasses, take a spoonful of LOCAL honey every morning, keep windows closed (use fan to circulate air), use air purifier in bedroom, shower before bed, change clothes & pillow cases every evening. Ice pack to reduce swelling around eyes.

Constant battle & just about keeps it under control.
    Vitamin C is also supposed to be helpful. Have also tried Prevalin, but the nasal sprays seem to make his nose more stuffed up (sinusy!) & he started having nose bleeds so we stopped using them.

Hopefully there is a tip or two there that can help someone else. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Son has really bad hayfever (has in the past developed infected conjunctivitis from it) & the rest of us have it in more moderate stages.

Opticrom 4 times a day, Zirtec morning & evening, Hayfever Band on arm, vaseline around outside of nostrils, wear sunglasses, take a spoonful of LOCAL honey every morning, keep windows closed (use fan to circulate air), use air purifier in bedroom, shower before bed, change clothes & pillow cases every evening. Ice pack to reduce swelling around eyes.

Vitamin C is also supposed to be helpful. Have also tried Prevalin, but the nasal sprays seem to make his nose more stuffed up (sinusy!) & he started having nose bleeds so we stopped using them.

This is obviously my own opinion, and I'll get shot down for saying this, but if someone's hayfever is that bad, then I think it's worth it to get the injection, or at least some form of steroid medication.

I have gotten the injection twice before when I was younger. First time I was about 12, and my hayfever symptoms totally disappeared for a few years. I was 19 when I got the injection again, and the hayfever was completely gone for two years. As I've grown older, the symptoms haven't been anywhere as bad as when I was younger. As long as I take an anti-histamine tablet + a nasal spray from May until September then things aren't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Does anyone know if the injection is covered on the medical card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

candy19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the injection is covered on the medical card?

My doc told me the injection wasn't available anymore as the side effects were too dangerous. I'm not sure if that's the case everywhere, but I got the impression it was. Could be wrong tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

It's available alrite. I asked for it but my doctor wasn't comfortable giving it but said it was available as a last resort!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

What are the side affects that make it so risky?

Coopaloop wrote: »
    My doc told me the injection wasn't available anymore as the side effects were too dangerous. I'm not sure if that's the case everywhere, but I got the impression it was. Could be wrong tho.

My GP had no issue in prescribing it.
    Its not covered under any schemes though- not even the 144 a month GPS scheme.
    Total cost almost 80 all told.
    Money well spent.

12 element wrote: »
    What are the side affects that make it so risky?

Possible side effects-

Raised blood pressure
    Water retention
    Muscle weakness
    Weakened immune system

There are whole groups of patients (notably those with autoimmune diseases) who are only supposed to be given the injection under continual supervision- e.g. Type 1 diabetics, Crohns/UC sufferers etc.

Also- you're supposed to avoid measles/chickenpox/shingles for 2-3 months after the injection because of possible impaired immunology.

Normal injection given is Kenalog.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Possible side effects-

Raised blood pressure
    Water retention
    Muscle weakness
    Weakened immune system

There are whole groups of patients (notably those with autoimmune diseases) who are only supposed to be given the injection under continual supervision- e.g. Type 1 diabetics, Crohns/UC sufferers etc.

Also- you're supposed to avoid measles/chickenpox/shingles for 2-3 months after the injection because of possible impaired immunology.

Normal injection given is Kenalog.

Ah, I was wondering why my GP hadn't suggested it as she prescribes me steroid nasal spay and an antihistamine each year remarking on my symptoms being out of the ordinary. Those side effects would rule me out of anyone optional like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You're describing my childhood there. Nasal sprays + tablets and moving out of the countryside and into the city helped. Air purifiers etc didn't do anything for me personally. I'd strongly suggest chatting to your GP about this. You really need to figure out something before they're of exam age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

nesf wrote: »
    You're describing my childhood there. Nasal sprays + tablets and moving out of the countryside and into the city helped. Air purifiers etc didn't do anything for me personally. I'd strongly suggest chatting to your GP about this. You really need to figure out something before they're of exam age.

I'd second trying to get it under control before exams.

I developed it before my Junior Cert exams, and it was so bad. Ended up with a bad bout of conjunctivitis, and while I did my exams and did well on them, the strain on my eyes was so bad that I closed them every ten minutes in the examto rest them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

This is obviously my own opinion, and I'll get shot down for saying this, but if someone's hayfever is that bad, then I think it's worth it to get the injection, or at least some form of steroid medication.

I have gotten the injection twice before when I was younger. First time I was about 12, and my hayfever symptoms totally disappeared for a few years. I was 19 when I got the injection again, and the hayfever was completely gone for two years. As I've grown older, the symptoms haven't been anywhere as bad as when I was younger. As long as I take an anti-histamine tablet + a nasal spray from May until September then things aren't too bad.

Unfortunately the injection is not an option for us as the child in question had a kidney removed when he was 2 and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

My hayfever is out of control this year. Constant nose bleeds, really sore throat, itchy eyes, nose is running all day long, sneezing non stop. I've been taking one clarityn a day and prevalin which works for a couple of hours, but after that I'm miserable. I haven't slept properly in so long. I'm awake all night with a horribly sore throat. Think it's time to go to a doctor :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

RAIN!! RAIN!!!! Oh thank God!! Maybe I might actually get some sleep tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

davo2001 wrote: »
    RAIN!! RAIN!!!! Oh thank God!! Maybe I might actually get some sleep tonight!

This was my exact reaction!! Hoping for the best. Don't think I can survive another sleepless night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

For the last 3 yrs on and off I seem to be getting very bad reactions to a lot of products and animals, which I was never allergic to before.

In the beginning I felt tired & weak, I would be half an hour out of bed feeling great after 8 hrs then could barely keep my head up, my body felt physically tired, got headaches and tired sore eyes etc. After tests for diabetes etc It seemed that out of the blue I developed hayfever, but only to tree pollen such as birch.

I also got an allergy of my pets which either came about after or was driven on by the pollen issue, now it seems to have escalated to hay, horses and also deodorants & hair spray. So much as a wiff or a spray and I get hay fever like symptoms and a bad reaction on my face.

Has any one else had this happen to them before?

Sounds pretty typical to be honest.
    Why don't you go to your GP and have the tolerance tests done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Caprica6

I went to my my gp since its started he has been to be honest no help, I was pretty sure it was hay fever but he was so dismissive over it he just sent me home with what I already knew take a zirtec.

When it got worse only then he did basic tests. This included a blood allergy test which showed nothing :/ They only reason I know its tree pollen is from reading up on hay fever myself.

I was interested if anyone else went through the same thing or if this was text book.
    I am going to change doctors soon though.

Caprica6 wrote: »
    For the last 3 yrs on and off I seem to be getting very bad reactions to a lot of products and animals, which I was never allergic to before.

In the beginning I felt tired & weak, I would be half an hour out of bed feeling great after 8 hrs then could barely keep my head up, my body felt physically tired, got headaches and tired sore eyes etc. After tests for diabetes etc It seemed that out of the blue I developed hayfever, but only to tree pollen such as birch.

I also got an allergy of my pets which either came about after or was driven on by the pollen issue, now it seems to have escalated to hay, horses and also deodorants & hair spray. So much as a wiff or a spray and I get hay fever like symptoms and a bad reaction on my face.

Has any one else had this happen to them before?

What medication have you tried over the past 3 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

Dudess wrote: »
    NASAL SPRAY!!! One of the best things ever invented! You can get them over the counter or (I think) stronger ones on prescription. Pay attention to the dosage, mind. You can't just use it whenever you start to feel itchy/stuffy/streamy. Use antihistamines in conjunction with it. I, and others, have found that using antihistamines on their own is a waste of time, money and energy. My GP agrees.
    There is also an injection. However, I wanted to get it one year but my mum, who's a nurse, advised against it because of the level of steroids it contains.
    This was before I started using the wondrous NASAL SPRAY!!
    In my experience (and it's not modest, if I may say so), nasal spray + antihistamines = winning combination!
    (Go for a non-drowsy antihistamine - I recommend Zirtek - and, again, don't pop them whenever the feeling takes you. Might seem obvious but it has to be said. Also, you don't want to be relying on them. But you shouldn't have to worry about that anyway because of the magnificent NASAL SPRAY!!)

I love you, Nasal Spray. You save my summers!

I used to do the nasal thing too but I havent had hayfever since I was about 30 17 years ago weird it just went away

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DaveWalsh2020

I had it real bad for years. Someone said load up on honey, so I have been taking honey for months and the hayfever has been grand nothing like it used to be hardly bothering me at all. I was also told that if your immune system is topped up to maximum levels with vit C that this helps a lot also.

Its a tough one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

What nasal sprays do ye (anyone here) use?

I used Flixonase last summer and found it worked. This summer I started using the Boots allergy barrier and its much less effective because its a "barrier" and not a steroid like the Flixonase (I didn't get Flixonase this summer because it was a steroid).

• Advertisement

What nasal sprays do ye (anyone here) use?

I used Flixonase last summer and found it worked. This summer I started using the Boots allergy barrier and its much less effective because its a "barrier" and not a steroid like the Flixonase (I didn't get Flixonase this summer because it was a steroid).

I use Beconase nasal spray and I take a cetrizine tablet daily from about mid-May until September. And I use eye drops if needed. They are an effective solution to my hayfever because I take them constantly over a number of months. Not just when the pollen count is high.

I wouldn't worry too much about the steroid content in nasal sprays, as the dosage is significantly lower than the Kenalog injection. Plus you take it over a long period of time compared to the injection.

I have tried the 'barrier' type nasal sprays, but I don't like them. They just end up blocking my nose so what's the point!!

Advertisement