Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RHCP - 26th June 2012 Croke Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

apt?

appropriate, fitting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

TheStook wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the amount of people sitting in the higher stand at the very far corner of the stadium? Like surely they would have just walked down nearer to the stage and sat there, the seating area was empty for the most part, I looked up like halfway during the concert and it surprised the hell outta me

I sat there for the start of NG because as I entered the stadium looking for section 502 at the Drumcondra side, 537 was the first section I saw and after walking all the way down, I got tired and bought two pints and sat in there for a bit :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Finally got round to uploading some of what I shot - excuse the constant zooming in and out, I was drunk and thought my camera was out of focus the whole time:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

good footage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Jesus, good videos but f**king hell Croker is bloody empty. They would have been better putting it at the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Jesus, good videos but f**king hell Croker is bloody empty. They would have been better putting it at the Aviva.

Yeah same feelings myself, thought there would be a much bigger crowd, sort of ruined the craic looking at loads of empty seats and the crowd was pathetic for Noel Gallagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

You know what annoys me? The fact that NOBODY ever claps along to the part in Look Around. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Sitec wrote: »
    O'Doodle wrote: »

Yeah same feelings myself, thought there would be a much bigger crowd, sort of ruined the craic looking at loads of empty seats and the crowd was pathetic for Noel Gallagher.
    Why the Aviva....what was wrong with punchestown???regardless of the sales it would have been great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Also as Iv been following them since I was 12 it was great to see them for my first time I'm 22...Croke park was horrible place for a venue and the sound was awful but you no what feck that it's not the bands fault anto will always be himself flea was unreal

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

skinny90 wrote: »
    Why the Aviva....what was wrong with punchestown???regardless of the sales it would have been great

Because its a smaller stadium and would have sold out instead of a near half empty stadium . Punchestown would have been the same size as Croker but would not have looked as empty as Croker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Punchestown? Possibly the worst location for a one day gig ever. Ask anyone who was at AC/DC a couple of years ago how that went

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Also as Iv been following them since I was 12 it was great to see them for my first time I'm 22...Croke park was horrible place for a venue and the sound was awful but you no what feck that it's not the bands fault anto will always be himself flea was unreal

Croke Park has served plenty of other artists quite well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Croke Park has served plenty of other artists quite well.

Yea ive only been to U2 and Bon Jovi there and i thought they sound was pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

cocoshovel wrote: »
    You know what annoys me? The fact that NOBODY ever claps along to the part in Look Around. :mad:

I clapped :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

if anyone is interested youtube are streaming their set from rock in rio madrid tonight. should be starting around.......now :D

http://www.youtube.com/rockinrio?feature=inp-lt-rmu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

if anyone is interested youtube are streaming their set from rock in rio madrid tonight. should be starting around.......now :D

http://www.youtube.com/rockinrio?feature=inp-lt-rmu

They're playing Monarchy of Roses now, one of the worst Red Hot Chili Peppers songs I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hate to be a killjoy, but they are fooking dreadful tonight. Anthony doesnt give a damn, they are dreadful. Flea is some an giving it socks, deserves better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mushy wrote: »
    Hate to be a killjoy, but they are fooking dreadful tonight. Anthony doesnt give a damn, they are dreadful. Flea is some an giving it socks, deserves better.

I think you can replace the word 'tonight' in your post with 'any night over the past 5years'. Your post just about sums them up in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think you can replace the word 'tonight' in your post with 'any night over the past 5years'. Your post just about sums them up in recent years

I didn't want to come across too harsh. Saw them at Oxegen, was dreadful, tonight was worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

The new guitarist is terrible:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭overshoot

theparish wrote: »
    The new guitarist is terrible:eek:
    stop letting him sing, he sounds like something you would get in a secondary school band!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

overshoot wrote: »
    stop letting him sing, he sounds like something you would get in a secondary school band!

Don't agree IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tee_91

wish i could comment on the concert but had a dreadful time and got pulled out of the crowd by a bouncer. all because some physco standing behind me and my boyfriend starting having a hissy fit and accused us of pushing through. bouncer was an absolute jerk and kicked us out of the concert. we told him we were standing there an hour but he wouldnt listen. she prob realised the rhcp's were about to come on stage and her view was crap cause my boyfriend was standing in front of her and he is 6ft,6.

anyone else have any problems with security???? :confused: it was the man with the big headphones on, in his 40's and bald. in between the barriers on pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

cocoshovel wrote: »

Joking, right?

I saw feck all people singing along to stuff other than By the Way and the big ones.

Delighted to hear a couple of random tracks off of SA. One chap in front of me kept showing off mouthing the words to the more (well I don't like this choice of words but,) 'obscure' songs from their catalogue, looking around to see if anyone noticed.

I did, buddy. Rock on!

Sound quality poor, gig felt like it was over a little too quickly, thought the performance was decent, though. The 'quality' of the crowd wasn't too bad, although it's been diluted somewhat since By the Way was released.

Anyway, always enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

FatRat wrote: »
    Very true. That's why I question the fact that they used the same speakers as Westlife, they hardly have the exact same needs in terms of speakers???? They had their own amps and on-stage equipment alright, of course, just like every other band would. But that comes to nothing if the speakers aren't up to spec. I was actually reading on a chili's forum about the gig and one poster pointed out the speakers at the venue and that they were nowhere near up to standard for a venue the size of croke park. He wasn't at the gig, he just noticed from a picture posted of croke park BEFORE the gig. I too noticed it. They had 16 speakers either side of the stage with another 16 odd stack of speakers in the middle of the pitch.

Anyway, it's all speculation from my point of view. Like you said, all bands require their own equipment to be perfectly set-up the way they like it. Unless Westlife and the Chili's have the exact same speaker set-up, there's no way of explaining why they used the same speaker set-up. Unless Croke Park wouldn't allow the speaker system to be modified. There could be a noise limit? ..... Nah, I'm probably going too far. I'll stop here.

If the area around croke park weren't such moaners about noise level the engineers wouldn't have been limited to 75dbA SPL... which is an absolute stupid limit to put on a gig at this size. Low level mix+wind, audience aren't gonna be happy soundwise. :rolleyes:

That speaker rig is one of the best in the world actually ha. Was away so wasn't workin this gig but as far as I know it was the same rig as westlife but the sub setup was changed, in fact better. It doesn't matter what kind of act is performing, its all about getting even coverage in the listener area.
    They used the same PA for the phoenix park gigs last week so even the main hangs would have almost been ok for croker, but you have to take wind and atmospheric conditions into account, so the delay towers(speakers in middle of pitch) would compensate for the loss of volume, clarity etc.

It was mainly to the fact that there was a sound limit really, i've been faced with it myself many times and its an absolute bollcks when they enforce it. It's either get fined or not be happy with your sound coverage. Bruce Springsteen on the other hand deceided to keep going and go over the limit and pay the fine apparently at one of his Dublin shows. If only chilli's had the cash :pac:
    Oh and another thing thats crap, the noise of the audience's cheers are loud enough to send the meter over 75dBA. Councils that employ these noise police just haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

funkyflea wrote: »
    Joking, right?

I saw feck all people singing along to stuff other than By the Way and the big ones.

Delighted to hear a couple of random tracks off of SA. One chap in front of me kept showing off mouthing the words to the more (well I don't like this choice of words but,) 'obscure' songs from their catalogue, looking around to see if anyone noticed.

I did, buddy. Rock on!

Sound quality poor, gig felt like it was over a little too quickly, thought the performance was decent, though. The 'quality' of the crowd wasn't too bad, although it's been diluted somewhat since By the Way was released.

Anyway, always enjoy them.

maybe because their new stuff is ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

maybe because their new stuff is ****?

Yeah!.. except it's not.

The stuff they've done in the last few albums is quality. I don't give much time to anything before Mother's Milk and only even listen to that on rare occasions these days. RHCP are a band that consistently come up with good stuff and will continue to!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

funkyflea wrote: »
    Yeah!.. except it's not.

The stuff they've done in the last few albums is quality. I don't give much time to anything before Mother's Milk and only even listen to that on rare occasions these days. RHCP are a band that consistently come up with good stuff and will continue to!

You should. The Uplift Mofo and Freaky Styley are great albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roryj123

Anyone know why the didn't change venues? Someone said it was a FIFTH full saw a pic of the entire back of the stadium being blocked off :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Yeah, it was certainly in the region of about 40-50% empty anyway. I really don't understand why the didn't change venues. In saying that, charming stories about Noel Gallagher scoring in Croke Park might not have emerged had it not been for the use of the stadium, so it was worth it.

Advertisement