Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby Making following miscarriages

• 10-10-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭

Six weeks ago i suffered my third miscarriage, it was a horrible shock to my partner and i again as we have been trying for a while now. :( But with each others support we are getting by.
    We were told we have to get a lot of tests done now to see where the problem is, and which one of us holds the problem. Our midwife kept emphasising that i wasn't getting any younger (I'm 27) and that we should try to deal with the problem ASAP as it might take a year or two before it is fixed, (if it can be) I know for sure i am never getting pregnant again unless i get the all clear from my doc because the miscarriage experience is too painful both physically and mentally.
    I was wondering if anybody could offer any advice on these tests that we may have to go through. I was looking it up on the internet as we have decided to go to our GP in the coming weeks to see where we can go from here, but we have no idea, even as to what the problems may be? I am not looking for medical advice (incase i get in trouble :() Just wondering can anyway share ? Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

She Devil wrote: »
    Six weeks ago i suffered my third miscarriage, it was a horrible shock to my partner and i again as we have been trying for a while now. :( But with each others support we are getting by.
    We were told we have to get a lot of tests done now to see where the problem is, and which one of us holds the problem. Our midwife kept emphasising that i wasn't getting any younger (I'm 27) and that we should try to deal with the problem ASAP as it might take a year or two before it is fixed, (if it can be) I know for sure i am never getting pregnant again unless i get the all clear from my doc because the miscarriage experience is too painful both physically and mentally.
    I was wondering if anybody could offer any advice on these tests that we may have to go through. I was looking it up on the internet as we have decided to go to our GP in the coming weeks to see where we can go from here, but we have no idea, even as to what the problems may be? I am not looking for medical advice (incase i get in trouble :() Just wondering can anyway share ? Thanks in advance x

I can't say I've been through what you have, I just wanted to post and tell you how sorry I am that you're having such a tough time. I know it can't be easy. There's still hope, though.. My mother miscarried her first and third children and still had 8 live births. Hopefully you'll get the answers you're looking for with the tests.

And I can't believe you're being told 27 is getting old, even in fertility terms, there are so many women out there who haven't even considered starting a family at that age!! Don't let that panic you anyway, you're starting early compared to some couples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

She Devil - medically speaking over 30 is 'old' for having babies and increases the risk of complications.

OP I am indeed sorry for your loss and understand your hesitation but perhaps the problem is not necessarily genetic. Maybe you or your partner are on medication, your life may be stressfull. Bad water ?

I'm not saying 'get over it' I am saying you may never no. I got diagnosed 2 days before being 22 with a permanent longterm illness which had no prior family history and I essentially got 'for not good reason'. I empathise and perhaps making babies might need a break but if you do want children take your time and never say never.

*Lots of hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

She Devil, soory to hear what you've been through so far.
    Firstly, at 27 you are not old as was implied, yes granted fertility drops with increased age but usually is only becoming significant at mid to late thirties. Also, if the tests do highlight that there is a problem, then being young is a good thing as it might help maximise your chances of becoming pregnant with some medical assistance.

At what stage did your miscarriages occur, early or late? Most people don't realise this but it's estimated that nearly a 1/3 of pregnancies end in miscarriage or 'early pregnancy loss' as the medical profession are now terming miscarriages that occur in the first 6 weeks or so.

Due to the fact that the pregancy tests can now tell you of a pregnancy even before a missed period, a lot more of the above is becoming known to women while before they might just have thought that their period was a few days late (without realising that they had actually been pregnant for a few weeks).

I had a daughter first at 31 - fell pregnant easy within about 3 months of trying. When trying for my second child I experienced two early pregancy losses (one immediately after each other) at about 7 weeks and 6 weeks gestation (what a horrible word..). Yet on my next cycle after the 6 week loss I fell pregnant with my 4 month old - I'm now just mid thirties.

After the second loss, I was concerned like yourself that something might be wrong with my fertility and went to my GP to get the blood tests done. It's no big deal really, they take some blood from both of you & look for levels of hormones indicative of fertility potential, Rheusus incompatibility & if you have antibodies against your partners sperm - ask your GP to explain these to you. In our case the tests came back looking perfectly normal & no problems showing.

Often, an early pregnancy loss is because the embyro would never be viable anyway, or just nature's way of making sure that a baby is not born that may have severe genetic abnormalities.

Also a number of mother's lifestyle choices have been implicated in early pregnancy loss such as
    usage of hot steam rooms/spa, hot tubs/baths
    Malnutrition, excessive alcohol consumption, drug usage etc.
    Excessive stress (sometimes even of not being able to get pregnant)

Hope this has been of some help & don't lose hope. Best of luck to you both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Hey Girls, thank you for your replies,
    To answer your questions, the first miscarriage was 8 weeks, the second was 11 and the third was just over 12, we had our first scan on our last one. It was so cute, but while we got the scan i had terrible pains, i think i just knew something was wrong again. I know people are worse off than us, and people keep saying things like "at least you can get pregnant", the pain of losing though is unreal. And yeah i have no problem in getting pregnant, my OH has super swimmers :) I get pregnant right away its amazing. :) I hope if i stay positive that it will work out for us. I do hope it isnt genetic, some people say it might be lack of something in my system and tablets may cure it???
    I suppose you can't tell, everyone is different.
    Also i dont smoke at all and I drink much. I gave up caffeine the second i found out i was pregnant each time. So i am sure i am not doing anything wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi She devil

I'm very sorry to hear of your awful experiences and can't imagine what you must be feeeling. I just wanted to tell you a positive story where there was a medical problem as getting pregnant is the biggest battle for most people. Anyway an ex of mine had a sister who like you had multiple miscarraiges and after investigation it was found out her thyroid or pituatory ( I can't remember) was at fault. She had a small operation and all was well. Like you she had no problems with fertlity so after that she immediately had a daughter.

I hope this story will give you hope.

I don't know where you go to get these tests done but talking to your GP is the first step.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

I will never give up hope! I'm stupidly getting excited at getting fixed :D My first examination is tomorrow! wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Wishing you all the luck in the world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

She Devil wrote: »
    I will never give up hope! I'm stupidly getting excited at getting fixed :D My first examination is tomorrow! wish me luck!

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Glittergirl

Hey She Devil
    How did you get on with your tests?

I just had my second miscarriage last week and am hoping to get our bloods done as well as I certainly don't want to go through this again until I have a clear picutre if anything is wrong?

Best of luck!!

Glit

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

There is still hope. We had two miscarriges in the past year and my beautiful wife is now three months gone with our second child (everything going fine at the moment). Best wishes.

• Advertisement

Hey Glit, our tests were put on hold last month as i had my period. How typical eh. My boyfriend is fine though so far, we were worried as he was diagnosed of having testicular cancer last year if it may have had something to do with that, but apparently not.
    Sorry to hear about your miscarriage glittergirl, but keep positive. Time comes baby comes, as the stupid saying says. And if there may be a problem at least you are looking in to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

They wont look in to it unless you have 3 or more miscarriages Glittergirl.As i know of a girl who had 2 stillborns and its only know they are keeping a close eye on her.Sorry for your loss but there is hope i myself had 3 miscarriagea and now have 3 children.So thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Advertisement