Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest pitfalls for Irish people in Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

zero_ wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the chances would be for securing secondary school teaching work for next September anywhere in Canada?

Thanks

I would do your research before coming over. A friend of mine is a secondary teacher in London, she worked with a guy from St Catharine's Ontario for 2 years. He moved there because he couldn't get a job in Ontario, he moved back to Canada a year ago and has been working in a bank in Toronto every since. He can't get teaching work in Niagara or in Toronto.

Also, I met an unemployed teacher at a Christmas party last week, she said it's very difficult to get in with the school boards here. I didn't ask her much about it to be honest.

That's only my limited experience since I've been here, and it only applies to Ontario so I don't know what the rest of the Provinces are like!

Goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

Ft MacMurray are crying out for heavy vehicle mechanics its in northern Alberta where all the Oil is being drilled

Fort macmurray and Saskatchewan are serious dumps, if your going to either, be prepared for that, put a time limit on it, make some money and get out of there, that's just my experience.
    Never underestimate the power of a strong Irish community in a foreign city, they are always a great help when trying to settle into a new country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tarica

UOTE=Yonge Street;77188838]Fair enough Frei. Glad things worked out for you though. I see you're in Edmonton - good choice of a city with plenty of trade work. The hordes of Irish haven't descended upon there yet. Did you originally fly into Edmonton or did you search for work in Toronto/Vancouver first? Also what's your line of work if you don't mind me asking.

If any Irish people planning to come over soon have mates or relatives already in Canada, use their address or phone number to apply for jobs. Once you have an interview lined up in Canada, you can walk off the plane in confidence knowing you're not completely stumbling around in the dark.[/QUOTE]

glad to hear not that scary first time away from home never been abroad don't no my self wat to expect job interview on sun so crosss fingers I get it my name is tarica new to all dis so plz god all will be will glad I came across this comment any more information u can tell me wud be a help cheers

job interview soon for Canada two year contract never been abroad it will be either alberta or calgery not full sure yet new to all this so slightly over whelmed and not sure wat to expect im from Roscommon does anyone no anyone form around that has gone that I cud get in contact with ill be traveling alone so be great to get in contact with someone to get some feed bak off and extra feed bak from anyone else wud be great to . thanks guys wud be much appericated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

tarica wrote: »
    job interview soon for Canada two year contract never been abroad it will be either alberta or calgery not full sure yet new to all this so slightly over whelmed and not sure wat to expect im from Roscommon does anyone no anyone form around that has gone that I cud get in contact with ill be traveling alone so be great to get in contact with someone to get some feed bak off and extra feed bak from anyone else wud be great to . thanks guys wud be much appericated

Just a wee bit of feedback for ya. Alberta is a province . Calgary is a city within that province, as is Edmonton.

thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

As a WHV owner will we be able to sign up for two year contracts or will we have to get pre-paid phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

astonaidan wrote: »
    As a WHV owner will we be able to sign up for two year contracts or will we have to get pre-paid phones?

I am with fido and was able to get a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

The Canadian dollar has plummeted against the euro and Sterling over the last year so anyone coming to Canada (and planning to send money home to Ireland) should definitely take this into consideration.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Hi,

Does anyone know what the chances would be for securing secondary school teaching work for next September anywhere in Canada?

Thanks

I got the two year visa last year and written on it it says you are not allowed to do primary or secondary school teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deccdn

Hi,

Thanks

What are your teaching qualifications? In Ontario, you have to have a certain number of credits from university that are teachable subjects. Ontario has a huge number of qualified teachers who are not working in their field, and are lucky if they even get to do supply work. You might have better luck looking into teaching at a private school. Google CAIS - Canadian Accredited Independent Schools, might have better luck with that. From my experience with my friends/family who are teachers, most spend between 4-6 years doing supply work, or contracts (maternity, stress leave etc) before they are a full time, permanent teacher. You might have better luck going to other provinces, teaching on native reserves in very remote areas, or in youth custody facilities or group homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 markgisme

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Describing Vancouver as overrun with Irish is a bit OTT I think

Not that many here at all

Competition for jobs is huge though, I wouldn't be coming here expecting to get a job in your chosen field easily

I got lucky and got something in mine though (Media) so it is doable

What if you're not looking for a chosen field and more of just a ****ty job to get you buy for 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 africando

I want to immigrate to Canada but have been told that I need a job offer before applying because it helps quite a bit in terms of points under express entry. I have a few friends who have tried finding work in Canada but have not had success even though they put a lot of work into the process. Is getting a job in Canada even a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 candice31

africando wrote: »
    I want to immigrate to Canada but have been told that I need a job offer before applying because it helps quite a bit in terms of points under express entry. I have a few friends who have tried finding work in Canada but have not had success even though they put a lot of work into the process. Is getting a job in Canada even a possibility?

hi Africando..... It does take time to find these companies but they are out there. If you do searches on sites like kijij.com and craigslist.com you will occassionally find these type of jobs. Another site that focuses exclusively on LMIA jobs is jobsaloon.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What field of work are you in? I find there are opportunities over here but its very dependent on which line of work you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Hi,

I want to move to Canada for a few years for a change. I'm currently working as a self employed IT Consultant with 2 years experience and another 7 years working around the Finance sector. I've had a lot of crap happen in my life so want to escape Ireland for a little while and I'm looking to continue on my current career path for a few years abroad.

What are the opportunities in IT/Finance like out there for a 28y/o in this area? I'm only really making the decision now so this is my first point of research. In my mind I hope I will pick up a contract before I head out.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to move to Canada for a few years for a change. I'm currently working as a self employed IT Consultant with 2 years experience and another 7 years working around the Finance sector. I've had a lot of crap happen in my life so want to escape Ireland for a little while and I'm looking to continue on my current career path for a few years abroad.

What are the opportunities in IT/Finance like out there for a 28y/o in this area? I'm only really making the decision now so this is my first point of research. In my mind I hope I will pick up a contract before I head out.

Hi, you'll probably get a wider audience if you post a new thread in this forum.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

It does depend on what you want to do one thing I will say I don't think it's easy to get a job here while there are a lot more jobs then in Ireland theres also a lot more people competing for them. Over here it seems to be about who you know. Myself and all my friends got lucky because we knew people from home that where already living here who got us jobs but only for that I honestly don't know if any of us would have even started our first jobs yet. I came over expecting it to be like the way it was during the Celtic Tiger in Ireland but it's nothing like that also Canada is currently going through a recession nothing on the scale of what Ireland is but you do see shops, restaurants here and there closing down.

Also if your looking for a job to do with something you may have studied in college and you don't have work experience forget it it's difficult enough getting one with experience. Some people I am working with where here over a year before they got that type of job. This place will eat through your savings so unless your loaded I don't think you be able to go over a year here without getting a pay cheque,

As for express entry if you have work experience in your field you should be ok if not I don't think you can't even apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Stay away from Toronto and Vancouver.
    You would swear there are only two cities in Canada. Toronto and Vancouver are swamped with the Irish. Seeing a GAA jersey head around is a good indicator to get the f**k outta there.

Amen to that ! - The last time I was at immigration there was some GS in front of me carrying a sports bag that said " The biggest sports shop in Connemara".........:rolleyes:

I immediately thought of that scene in Father Ted where they get lost in the biggest lingerie department in Ireland ! .:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

I always find these types of threads an interest read because I am a student in Ireland coming from Canada (so the opposite of your situation) and right now I would for certain say the Canadian economy is on the downturn (Canadian dollar is collapsing towards 0.6 USD after being at parity for a while in 2011-2012). Ireland on the other hand seems to be slowly recovering from the recession and with the housing shortage situation in cities like Dublin and Cork I'd say you are better off staying in Ireland than coming to Canada especially if you're in architecture/development/construction.

One of the biggest pitfalls is if you ever decide to go back home....

A few years ago a gang of us went back for "The gathering". Some "genius" in Ireland decided that what we would want for entertainment in Central Dublin and on TV on New Years Eve was exactly what we left Ireland to get away from - Some skanger in Jacinta hoop earrings singing bad rockabilly..... mad.png

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

In my experience,making new friends is very difficult,I live in Saskatchewan so the people are very different,they don't really get your sense of humour or witty banter but you can still make friends,it just takes a lot of time.
    I do get frustrated from people asking me to repeat myself,they can have a hard time understanding the Dub accent and slang words but in time you change and start to talk more of their language.
    Being Irish here opens a lot of doors,I have met some very nice people and still do most days,its just when they get behind the wheel of a car they totally change,I can't drive a half mile from my house without somebody right up my ass,even the old granny's at the lights in their v6 Camry's hate when you get ahead lol.
    One other 'pitfall' would be the winter,right now it's not too bad but I feel you can only live for 5 months of the year,if you don't have friends you definitely should take a evening hobby or course in something on the other hand if you like sunshine, southern Alberta or Saskatchewan is a good place to be,the sun belt of Canada, the summer is hot and dry,even as I write this now it's a clear blue sky,chilly though.

There's probably more pitfalls when you return to Ireland than when you leave,I will find out in the coming months because my two year visa is up and would rather be back at home having the craic,I will miss the sun though,especially in mid winter.

Long Gone wrote: »
    Amen to that ! - The last time I was at immigration there was some GS in front of me carrying a sports bag that said " The biggest sports shop in Connemara".........:rolleyes:

I immediately thought of that scene in Father Ted where they get lost in the biggest lingerie department in Ireland ! .:D
    One of the biggest pitfalls is if you ever decide to go back home....

A few years ago a gang of us went back for "The gathering". Some "genius" in Ireland decided that what we would want for entertainment in Central Dublin and on TV on New Years Eve was exactly what we left Ireland to get away from - Some skanger in Jacinta hoop earrings singing bad rockabilly..... mad.png

Imelda May is a very successful artist who has sold millions of records. I'm guessing Daniel O'Donald, Pat Shortt or Richie Kavanagh would be more your choice as you're from "the shticks". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Mod Note:
    Two posts removed for personal attacks/ language. Keep it civil please.

Personal attacks? We're a sensitive bunch here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

After a few months at home, its really driven home why Irish people fail in Canada, we really fail to adapt to something different, like how much people over their do you know that is only friends with other irish people, a group of 30 people I know would be like this, I stopped hanging around with them as they only wanted to do the same thing every weekend, get drunk saturday then talk all about how much they drunk on sunday morning.
    It really was like living in a parish away from the parish and once I left them I started having a lot more fun and found Toronto quiet a easy enjoyable experience

astonaidan wrote: »
    After a few months at home, its really driven home why Irish people fail in Canada, we really fail to adapt to something different

You can't just make a general statement that Irish people fail in Canada - I've certainly never failed ! - Far from it. Neither do I accept for one minute that Irish people in general fail in Canada. And contrary to what you state I've found Irish people in general to be a among the most adaptable people going - We wouldn't be in some many different situations in so many different countries around the world if we weren't...... :cool:

Just because you may have hung around with a bunch of parochial losers, don't use that as a basis to make disparaging comments about Irish people in Canada in general ! .:eek:

• Advertisement

You can't just make a general statement that Irish people fail in Canada - I've certainly never failed ! - Far from it. Neither do I accept for one minute that Irish people in general fail in Canada. And contrary to what you state I've found Irish people in general to be a among the most adaptable people going - We wouldn't be in some many different situations in so many different countries around the world if we weren't...... :cool:

Just because you may have hung around with a bunch of parochial losers, don't use that as a basis to make disparaging comments about Irish people in Canada in general ! .:eek:

I must agree with my old buddy Long Gone here. ;) I haven't really seen much evidence of Irish people "failing" over here.

Advertisement