Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N2 - Slane Bypass [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Very Good. I do question the need for the N51 east of the M3 at all when they can use the N52 (once upgraded) and then ban HGVs not accessing ( permit based) the area itself from a box along the Boyne and especially inside the World Heritage site.

I'd look at a Dunshaughlin - Balbriggan M1 M2 M3 interceptor N51 instead, airport traffic a consideration too.
    OK but if the intention of the N51 is to create a (Athlone-)Navan-Drogheda route then how would they get to Drogheda? Ardee is too far north.
    I'll admit my N51 on my map might be better routed Navan-Duleek.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not through a World Heritage Site I should think. Same with the N5/N61 in Tulsk and Frenchpark . :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not through a World Heritage Site I should think. Same with the N5/N61 in Tulsk and Frenchpark . :)
    The buffer zone of the site is well north of Duleek (page 8 of this document).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

spacetweek wrote: »
    The buffer zone of the site is well north of Duleek (page 8 of this document).

Sorry Spacetweek. Frenchpark/Tulsk as well as TARA are BOTH proposed World Heritage sites and in the one proposal dating back to 2010, I should have made myself clearer.

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/tentative-list/

http://www.worldheritageireland.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/tentative_list/Royal_Sites_TL_form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

How about new offline route south of the river? Surely it's not much of a problem upgrading the existing road south of the river or just upgrading the existing N51. It doesn't have to be glorified, it just needs HS and smoothing out bends to bring it up to a reasonable standard. The road between Slane and Drogheda is not like a million miles or anything.

I honestly don't think an N2 bypass is needed. What Slane needs is a new bridge. Traffic numbers on the N2 continues to decrease year on year now as the M1 has been continually extended and the N2 north of Ardee has now better links to the M1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Given the particulars of Slane village, it seems the only viable option is to build a new bridge at a new location nearby as part of a short bypass.

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    How about new offline route south of the river?
    What Slane needs is a new bridge. Traffic numbers on the N2 continues to decrease year on year now as the M1 has been continually extended and the N2 north of Ardee has now better links to the M1.
    The best way of providing said bridge is to build the proposed bypass.
    The M1 was completed in 2006 so any decrease you're seeing in traffic on the N2 is likely to have bottomed out at this stage. It will only increase from now on.

I also think a new offline route south of the Boyne should be built, but I'd make it a Regional Road and downgrade and truck-ban the existing N51. Traffic would use the new road and be signposted away from the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Slane Resident

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think an N2 bypass is needed. What Slane needs is a new bridge. Traffic numbers on the N2 continues to decrease year on year now as the M1 has been continually extended and the N2 north of Ardee has now better links to the M1.

A new bridge won't work without a bypass. A new bridge will do nothing for the steep incline on the N2 (the steepest incline on any national road in Europe) and it will do nothing for the practically 90 degree angle that lorries have to turn onto the bridge. A newer wider better bridge won't change any of that. Two of the most recent awful accidents, the March 2009 multi-vehicle pile-up in the middle of the village, and the death of David Garvey, didn't involve the bridge at all, they involved the incline on the Derry side of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

Is this stalled or pushed out for a long time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Someday wrote: »
    Is this stalled or pushed out for a long time?

It will eventually have to happen IMO - however, I'd say a general change of legislation (governing how infrastructure in this country is delivered) will be required so that common sense will prevail the next time a controversial bypass such as Slane is submitted to ABP. It is clear that narrow interests (both native and foreign) took precedence over the public interest - this IMO is totally wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Tender for Consultancy Services for N2 Slane Bypass released trough TII Framework to take scheme through stages 1 to 4 of the PMGs

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender for Consultancy Services for N2 Slane Bypass released trough TII Framework to take scheme through stages 1 to 4 of the PMGs
    Should be open around 2026 with a bit of luck so.

marno21 wrote: »
    Should be open around 2026 with a bit of luck so.

Actual estimate or is your sarcasm hat on? :cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So they're basically just still talking about it then...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why don't they detrunk the N2 between the end of the M2 and Ardee - looking at google street maps, as you approach Ardee from the north the roadsigns give you the option of continuing to Dublin via the N2 or the N33/M1.

If the first option was removed from the signs, and the road downgraded to R, there'd be a lot less traffic going through Slane, which is the only other town on that stretch of road (sat-navs would favour N/M route over an R route, if they don't already). AFAIK This is why the N33 was built, but they only did half the job... (they still have Derry signposted at the M2 junction on the M50 as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

loyatemu wrote: »
    why don't they detrunk the N2 between the end of the M2 and Ardee - looking at google street maps, as you approach Ardee from the north the roadsigns give you the option of continuing to Dublin via the N2 or the N33/M1.

If the first option was removed from the signs, and the road downgraded to R, there'd be a lot less traffic going through Slane, which is the only other town on that stretch of road (sat-navs would favour N/M route over an R route, if they don't already). AFAIK This is why the N33 was built, but they only did half the job... (they still have Derry signposted at the M2 junction on the M50 as well).

Is this a serious post??

It doesn't matter what the signs say or whether it's a National or Regional road, the road will remain the same, with the same amount of traffic.

loyatemu wrote: »

It'll still need a bypass. It's a lot of local commuter traffic plus it's the shortest route to north Meath and Monaghan. Also purely from a safety standpoint it's a must. The incline heading south before the bridge is insane! Been lots of accidents here over the years. It's improved since they did all the safety works but it's still risky.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Is this a serious post??

It doesn't matter what the signs say or whether it's a National or Regional road, the road will remain the same, with the same amount of traffic.

People do follow signposts.
    Though you'd really need to remove the M1 Drogheda toll for such a plan to be feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Kevwoody wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what the signs say or whether it's a National or Regional road, the road will remain the same,

Yes.
    with the same amount of traffic.

No.

Long distance traffic follows signposts maps and satnav routes - detrunking the route would remove a lot of the traffic. Sure a bypass might still be needed, and there is an issue with tolls on the M1, but it could be done tomorrow at minimal cost.

What purpose does the N2 between Ashbourne and Ardee serve? Slane is the only other town on that section, M1+N33 is faster and safer, they should do whatever is necessary to encourage traffic onto that route.

spacetweek wrote: »
    People do follow signposts.
    Though you'd really need to remove the M1 Drogheda toll for such a plan to be feasible.
    The M8 starts after the M7 toll, only a few kms after. Should the old N8 regain it's N8 designation because of this?

The N2 north of Ashbourne as far as Ardee doesn't really serve much of a national purpose as the route should be via the more safer and more capacitative M1.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Funnelling the non toll traffic through Drogheda would not prove popular.

Surely we can just use the current N2 plus the planned Slane bypass for the medium term. It's generally a good, wide 2 lane road. Do the bypass, leave the rest of the N2 south of Ardee then as it bar minor improvements thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

But the M1 is only a few km from Ardee, It makes no sense to have 2 national routes going to basically the same place.
    Just ban HGV through traffic N/S in Ardee and Slane, only allowing e/w traffic on n51,52

Set up automatic speed cameras on the 30kmh section of existing road through Slane to encourage motorists to take an alternative route...

But the M1 is only a few km from Ardee, It makes no sense to have 2 national routes going to basically the same place.
    Just ban HGV through traffic N/S in Ardee and Slane, only allowing e/w traffic on n51,52

Set up automatic speed cameras on the 30kmh section of existing road through Slane to encourage motorists to take an alternative route...

Slane still needs a bypass, it's as much a safety issue as it is traffic. I think they should do the bypass, but not upgrade the N2 any further between Ashbourne and Ardee after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agreed on both counts... it needs its bypass (and a doubling of the bridge in the town). But the M1 is so closeby, should an S2 bypass be planned instead of the Type 2? And try to force traffic out of Slane onto the M1?

Certainly any time I come down the N2 I go via Ardee, or off at Castleblayney, onwards to Dundalk and down the M1. I'd never come through Slane and go south, the M1 is so much faster (and easier)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Are you from Meath? - Do you know anything about the Slane area?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

road_high wrote: »
    Slane still needs a bypass, it's as much a safety issue as it is traffic. I think they should do the bypass, but not upgrade the N2 any further between Ashbourne and Ardee after that...

Really? Have you tried to get on to the M2 at Ashbourne in the morning peak recently? The M2 needs to be extended beyond Ashbourne to at least the Kentstown junction, or even slightly further, and there is a serious urgency about doing something between Ashbourne and Kilmoon cross in order to solve the ongoing problems that are caused by the lights at Primatestown, which are only going to get worse as Tayto Park expands.

Some of the issues are the Tolls on the M1, M3 and the M50, which mean a significant number of vehicles are using the N/M2 in preference to the M1, or M3, and then going cross country via Ratoath and Dunboyne to places like Maynooth and Naas, but I don't see any early change to the present tolling system.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 unicorn97

Please tell me you're joking.

How can the locals of Slane be tortured into crawling up and down them hills at 30km/h with speed cameras on them.

The stupidity of these speed limits are what cause accidents:mad:

Advertisement