Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G4 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Is there really anything left to announce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    Price and date. All I'm waiting for.

Won't really be anything solid today regarding price.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Confirmed as the same battery as the G2. A little disappointing tbh.

Phone looks lovely though :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks like a nice phone but I think with the price being rumoured as higher than the S6 then it will make it a flop for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Looks like a nice phone but I think with the price being rumoured as higher than the S6 then it will make it a flop for them

it wont as it'll be cheaper on contracts which is what the majority of americans go with. It might not be a success in Ireland but we are so small we dont matter.

i'm going to pick one up off contract asap! Just wish they gave roll out dates during the conference...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Yeah, didn't hear anything that hasn't already been reported weeks ago. I was most interested in pricing too, but nothing on that yet.

There might be some hands on reviews in the coming days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqF7HsjVay4

Very encouraging first impression, I have to say. Really looking forward to some proper reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

GSMarena's first look - http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4_hands_on-review-1245p3.php

Pretty unimpressive benchmarks. I know they're not everything, but still...

• Advertisement

Seems rumours of LG G4 being more expensive than S6 were not true, £500 on clove . The S6 is £575 for the 32gb version. €650 on amazon.de and €699 for the leather backed version. Think if I was going to buy I'd get the plastic back version and buy a 3rd party back cover in the future if I didn't like the plastic one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

With Amazon Germany, you'd have to use parcel motel as Ireland doesn't seem to work as a check out location. I'm personally going to see if it pops on the Spanish or Italian sites first though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I used a seller on amazon Germany for my G3 where the order was fulfilled by amazon. No need for parcel motel then. Delivery was about €8.

yeah, you can log in using your .co.uk account. You shouldn't have to inform the bank. Parcel motel is looking like the a decent option if you are ordering from Germany although as Recyclebin says, I'd personally wait to see if any third party sellers (which are fulfilled by amazon) stock the phone first

Cyberport is good for ordering from. I've not gotten smartphones of them before but have gotten pc components everything went fine. Delivery is pricey enough I think, around €20

Amazing camera by all accounts!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

What do people think of the leather?

I've been keeping a close eye on reviews - The Guardian reviewer said battery lasted him 2 days, but other reviews that I've seen said the battery is the G4's biggest weakness.

Overall a great phone, I think. Might be my next one!

• Advertisement

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    What do people think of the leather?

I've been keeping a close eye on reviews - The Guardian reviewer said battery lasted him 2 days, but other reviews that I've seen said the battery is the G4's biggest weakness.

Overall a great phone, I think. Might be my next one!

I like the leather. Might not get the tan one. My thinking is that because the back plate is easily replaceable, cheaper or nicer 3rd party alternatives will come out quickly.

The good thing about the battery being a weakness is that it's replaceable. I am now aware that the rapid charge isn't activated though it is supposed to be on the 808 chip. Maybe it'll be hackable later, of with the right charger. I don't fully understand how it works so maybe not.

It's also a little disappointing to not have wireless charging without a special case. I'm hoping that these cases are nice/small and cheap.

I was just thinking that if a device had wireless charging and bluetooth, in a year or two I would be very happy not to have to deal with USB ports and flaps. Wireless FTW.

The LG G3 dosen't have quick charging yet it charges to 100% pretty fast. I'd imagine the G4 is in the same situation

You could be right, the worry I had about leather is how it would age, would it be wrecked after 6 months? Leather's very prone to scuffs & marks.

However having said that, I found this droid-life article about how the leather Moto X has aged and it looks pretty good.

As Squeeonline said, with the back being removeable you can just buy a replacement in the future if you needed to.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/16/this-is-how-beautiful-the-leather-looks-on-a-moto-x-2nd-gen-after-3-months/

I guess one thing to do is look at your phone now. How scratched/damaged is it? If you did that to leather would it tear or severely damage it? General wear from in and out of pockets and oil from hands might improve the leather, but deep scratches won't.

I don't think this phone will age well at all unless you keep it in a case. Apparently the black plastic chrome effect around the front edges wears easily and in the pocketfish review the leather was already discoloured at the corners. I suppose the black leather would solve that problem?

• Advertisement

Yeah, to my eye the only two acceptable covers are the brown leather and the white "ceramic" (95% plastic, 5% ceramic, apparently).

Advertisement