Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Echostar 1.2 mt Dish Question ?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone.

I need some advice from any motorised dish expert on here please.

Back in the day, about ten years ago I had a motorised setup comprising of a 1.2mt Echostar Dish with an 18" 36 volt actuator controlled by an Echostar 7000 DVR.
    I also had a Dreambox ,Triple Dragon & several Blind Search receivers in the setup
    I then moved house to a different county so I dismantled my setup before I left.

I always intended to set up my system again but one thing led to another & before I knew it analogue was gone & digital was here so my receiver's were no longer of any use.
    I have at last decided to take another look mainly because I'm tired of money grabbing Sky.

I still have the dish & mount. I even still have the 3" diameter metal poll that held up my dish.

What I would like to know is can this dish be used today ?
    I know I need a new lnb, actuator & receiver & also a V box or similar but would the dish still cut it today or would something like a Triax 1.10 with a DISEqc motor be similar or better ?
    The dish was similar to the Channel Master 1.2.

Any information would be welcome as its a long time & my knowledge of today's systems is limited.

Photos below.

Thanks everyone.
    Tony

FeedHornampLNBAbove.jpg

SatellitedishampFittings.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

I would suggest keeping the dish and replace the actuator.
    Use a ASC titinium drive, so you track the east to west arc, and a good quality receiver.

Most modern dishes would not be of the same quality as your echostar (channelmaster) dish.

Regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

ISAA wrote: »
    I would suggest keeping the dish and replace the actuator.
    Use a ASC titinium drive, so you track the east to west arc, and a good quality receiver.

Most modern dishes would not be of the same quality as your echostar (channelmaster) dish.

Regards,

Gerry

Thanks Gerry.
    Thats some positioner. Built like a tank.
    Do you know of a stockist over here ?
    Any thoughts on a receiver ?
    Tony.

Don't know of any stockist over here, but going to be ordering one next week.

Does everything that,s required, did you see the youtube video, nice piece of kit,
    Builted in polarizer as well as a polarity control.

Don't know of any stockist over here, but going to be ordering one next week.

Does everything that,s required, did you see the youtube video, nice piece of kit,
    Builted in polarizer as well as a polarity control.

Polariser :) That takes me back. I'd forgotten about all of that.
    Are you ordering from them direct & what kind of system do you have ?

Yes will be ordering direct.
    My setup is always changing, but at the moment :

1.8 CM (Fixed)
    1.2 Prime focus (fixed)
    90cm CM on polar mount,
    plus other dishes for messing about with.

[IMG]http://dish farm[/IMG]

• Advertisement

Positioner arrived today.
    New toy for tomorrow to play with

Yes will be ordering direct.
    My setup is always changing, but at the moment :

1.8 CM (Fixed)
    1.2 Prime focus (fixed)
    90cm CM on polar mount,
    plus other dishes for messing about with.

[IMG]http://dish farm[/IMG]
    Positioner arrived today.
    New toy for tomorrow to play with

That some weapon you're getting.
    Look forward to hearing about it & seeing pictures.
    I like that 1.8mt dish. Would like to see that moving.
    Have you ever thought about fitting a motor & mount to it ?
    What sat have you set it on ?

I ordered some gear which should be arriving today or tomorrow.
    I got a TM 7102HD receiver + a V box to go with it. Plus of course a load of cable & an 18" Jaeger Superjack for the dish.
    A hole has been dug for the dish pole which will go up against a South facing low wall. Hope to get the pole in over the weekend,weather permitting.

Keep us posted on progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ei3gqb

Hi if you are looking for a motorised system have a gander at the icecrypt range of sat receivers in particular the s3200ccihd 6000chnl model with a h/h diseq/usals motor...and a 90cm to 1.1mtr dish...get a 0.1 lnb ad to that a 20db inline amp...and your set...this rec.,has features for ppv...via...various..cardsharing protocals...and dont forget good quality coax..

Weather was poor down here on Sat so got very little done although the dish pole is ready to bolt up & cement in.
    The wrong length of cable was sent out so the replacement cable & 18" actuator jack is due in the next few days.
    Hopefully I will get the dish pole bolted up & cemented in tomorrow or Tuesday again weather permitting & also get some cabling done.

Anyone got any ideas on a feed searching receiver with hardware blind search.
    I don't want to upset family viewing by using the main receiver.
    I know the Azbox (not sure which one) can do 4.2.2 but I understand its slow which isn't much good when you;'re looking for a sports feed or something like that.

If there's anyone down here in the South West who would like to make contact & bounce information off then just send me a pm if you're interested.

Tony.

Icecrypt tony....should be able to use with positioner and jack for pointing etc..rgrds.fran...

• Advertisement

ei3gqb wrote: »
    Icecrypt tony....should be able to use with positioner and jack for pointing etc..rgrds.fran...

Thanks for the suggestion Fran.
    I will use my main receiver a TM7102HD to move the dish & for general family viewing.
    I just want a good hardware blind scan receiver to mess around with. I will feed it from the second lnb connection on the dish.

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

@Tony - there is a useful thread here on a comparison of the newer blindsearch receivers. Interesting to note that although some of the newer receivers are faster, they sometimes miss out on feeds.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/fastest-blind-scan-hd-receiver.161777/

Apogee wrote: »
    @Tony - there is a useful thread here on a comparison of the newer blindsearch receivers. Interesting to note that although some of the newer receivers are faster, they sometimes miss out on feeds.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/fastest-blind-scan-hd-receiver.161777/

Thanks for that.
    Some of the receivers also put in transponders which are no longer there.
    Something to do with the software on which the blind scan is based.
    It was said the the TM5402 HD M3 was one such receiver.
    Another problem was that even if you switched off the network feature it still worked which loaded transponders which were not on the sat at all.

Tony

One of my set up's.

Dish span, 39 east to 34 west, not setup correctly yet,

90cm Channel Master
    ALP's LNB
    Titanium ASC 1 Positioner,
    Strong Receiver (Temp only)

IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg

Not great weather wise here today but managed to get the dish pole bolted to the wall & painted up.
    If its reasonable dry tomorrow I will put a mix of concrete in the hole & hopefully get the dish on the pole by the weekend.

3cd45118-a80b-42a6-9a18-b8c585d61c98.jpg

Nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

isaa
    are u getting clear line of sight over the house from that last pic, (in post 15)
    nice set up

Yes clear line of site, house is about 60 metres away, looks closer in picture.

Hi Everyone.

More progress today.
    Concrete around dish pole is now solid so put the dish up.
    Fitted feedhorn holder & Invacom 0.3 twin output lnb which I had unused in its box since I last did satellite..
    Using old actuator to keep dish straight on mount.

20140719_213056.jpg

My longitude is 10.2 W so my due south satellite is Express at 11' west.
    Anyone know of an active frequancy on this sat ?
    I'll try 11153H 17140 2/3 but I don't know if its active or not ?
    I set the latitude as 52' by the table on the side of the polar mount. The pole is plumb, its just the photo taken on my phone is off center.:rolleyes:

20140719_213124.jpg

I hope my calculations are right ?
    I got a Setsat meter so I hope that will help me set up the dish as I haven't got the coax & motor cables in yet.

If anyone can give me some pointers or advice I'de be grateful as its been 10 years or more since I last did satellite so I've forgotten anything I ever knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.

More progress today.
    Concrete around dish pole is now solid so put the dish up.
    Fitted feedhorn holder & Invacom 0.3 twin output lnb which I had unused in its box since I last did satellite..
    Using old actuator to keep dish straight on mount.

20140719_213056.jpg

My longitude is 10.2 W so my due south satellite is Express at 11' west.
    Anyone know of an active frequancy on this sat ?
    I'll try 11153H 17140 2/3 but I don't know if its active or not ?
    I set the latitude as 52' by the table on the side of the polar mount. The pole is plumb, its just the photo taken on my phone is off center.:rolleyes:

20140719_213124.jpg

I hope my calculations are right ?
    I got a Setsat meter so I hope that will help me set up the dish as I haven't got the coax & motor cables in yet.

If anyone can give me some pointers or advice I'de be grateful as its been 10 years or more since I last did satellite so I've forgotten anything I ever knew.

You are very far west, edge of the world indeed. Looking at the footprint for 11 West it might not be very strong with you. The strongest tp I have in Dundalk is 11683 H 17246 11 dB but it uses a modulation which won't scan in the channels. 11185 H 17141 is 10.5 dB, 11153 9.2 dB.

http://www.flysat.com/expressam44-beam.php

The 12.5 West beam looks better. 11407 V 27500 3/4 12.3 dB is the strongest with me now.

http://www.flysat.com/e12wa-beam.php

You are very far west, edge of the world indeed. Looking at the footprint for 11 West it might not be very strong with you. The strongest tp I have in Dundalk is 11683 H 17246 11 dB but it uses a modulation which won't scan in the channels. 11185 H 17141 is 10.5 dB, 11153 9.2 dB.

http://www.flysat.com/expressam44-beam.php

The 12.5 West beam looks better. 11407 V 27500 3/4 12.3 dB is the strongest with me now.

http://www.flysat.com/e12wa-beam.php

Hi There.
    Thanks for the links. I actually found that site a couple of nights ago.

When you say you're getting 11db from 11west what are you using to measure it ?
    As I said in an earlier post its a long time since I did satellite so I'm very rusty & have forgot everything I ever knew. Some of it came back after a while & I started remembering stuff I had long since forgotten.

Yesterday afternoon I had a go at setting up the dish.
    I was using an old actuator to keep the polar mount & dish in a straight ahead position.I set up the latitude using a scale on the left side of the polar mount & set the declination angle of the dish with a straight edge & a clinometer phone app.
    I went looking for Express @ 11west using a Setsat meter I bought. I found it difficult & eventually resorted to using a phone app called Satellite Director.This gave me the general direction of Express @ 11 west.
    I then ran a coax cable across the yard to the nearest room which is about 20mts.
    I connected this to my Technomate 7102 & a Tv. I did a blind search because I was unsure what sat I was on.It turned out I was on 15west & got quite a few channels. I then adjusted the polar mount around the pole a little & found 12.5 west. Again some channels were found including some feeds. Given confidence by this success I went after Express @ 11 west hoping to get anything at all.
    To my surprise I got a load of Russian & Italian stuff from most of the transponders on the sat. The Technomate said I had 65% even though the signal strength on the Setsat said I was getting 44% with no quality reading at all on the meter ?
    At that point I peaked the dish & tightened up everything. I took the cable in & put the receiver away. I have lots of cabling to do & a new actuator for the dish before I use the system properly but I'm delighted with progress so far :D
    Hopefully I'll get some more done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You have everything set up pretty good so. 11 West is not a very strong satellite for me. The Italian channels have been there for years but the Russians are fairly recent. I have a 1.1 m dish and two Dr HD receivers the F15 and the Grand Triple. They read the signal strength in dB up to 20 dB. I also have an AzBox receiver and a 100% signal on that would be about 17 or 18 dB on the Dr HD's.

When I set it up I was not getting to Turksat @ 42' but a slight movement eastwards of the polar mount on the dish pole cured that.

I am now getting from 61' West to 53' East & I think there may be more to go on the East side.

20140729_202117.jpg

Picked this up a few weeks ago,
    1.8 metre cosmos prime focus antenna, commercial quality.
    Irish Pounds 3000, fixed install, AZ/EL mount,
    Luxor push button RX.
    brought into Ireland in 1984 for reception from Intelsat V (Premiere Movies Mirror Vision) and 13 degs east ECS F1.

The good old days.

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

On a side note, what a beautiful view you have from your house amdaley28!

Picked this up a few weeks ago,
    1.8 metre cosmos prime focus antenna, commercial quality.
    Irish Pounds 3000, fixed install, AZ/EL mount,
    Luxor push button RX.
    brought into Ireland in 1984 for reception from Intelsat V (Premiere Movies Mirror Vision) and 13 degs east ECS F1.

The good old days.

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

You could do some serious damage with that dish :eek:
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    On a side note, what a beautiful view you have from your house amdaley28!

Worth getting up for in the morning.:)

Ok guys seems that getting sats from 42e to 30w and in between is no problem here in north dublin city....setup icecrypt s3200ccihd receiver 6000chnl...90cm ofset mesh dish chess 0.1db lnbf 20db inline amp fortecstar h/h positioner....80ft af cable from lnb to receiver...use lyogsat to get ur sat footprints...for your location.....Cccam and more features on the 3200....it seems that using huge expensive dishes and outdated methods is not worth the bother...francis ei3gqb.

it seems that using huge expensive dishes and outdated methods is not worth the bother...francis ei3gqb.

I agree, but my plan is to use 1.8m for 4Ghz's not 11/12

Also weaker satellites are more fun receiving that bog standard 90cm motor driven toys.

Regards,

Gerry EI3CS

• Advertisement

Whats on C band gerry...de.francis...

Advertisement