Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extender or booster

• 28-04-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

Im just looking to get a stronger signal in a part of the house that wont get a steady flow form the downstairs wifi.

Ive seen this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057166793
    but I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of a cost effective/cheap way of getting a stronger signal all over the house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Booster/Repeaters - generally a bad idea. They halve throughput.

Powerline Adapters/Homeplugs - Generally work very well. Only thing to note is they wont work across two different fuseboxes(RCDs), so if you have a granny flat or external office space they tend not to be of much use, but within a regular home they're perfect.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398684403&sr=8-2&keywords=AV500

Something like this is a good buy. People tend to see a price like that and go no way, but if you think about it you pay €30-50 a month for your internet connection and these will last you two years + of improved service, small price to pay long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

Thanks for the reply, so i had a look on ebay for this item and these popped up in my search - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Aerial-5dBi-2-4Ghz-WiFi-Booster-Wireless-Network-WLAN-Antenna-Ireland-Stock-1-/271038717726?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item3f1b2a9f1e

am i wasting my time on these or could this be the simple and easy solution to my current setup.
    Im not looking to watch live tv or alot of downloads - its just for internet browsing -
    I get 1-5 Mbps currently in the room furthest away form my modem and doubling it will be sufficient - well a steady 10Mbps will do it for my needs.
    Standing directly beside my modem now and my android phone is telling me the signal is 54Mbps
    Im not looking for much,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

dball wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, so i had a look on ebay for this item and these popped up in my search - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Aerial-5dBi-2-4Ghz-WiFi-Booster-Wireless-Network-WLAN-Antenna-Ireland-Stock-1-/271038717726?pt=UK_Computing_Boosters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item3f1b2a9f1e

am i wasting my time on these or could this be the simple and easy solution to my current setup.
    Im not looking to watch live tv or alot of downloads - its just for internet browsing -
    I get 1-5 Mbps currently in the room furthest away form my modem and doubling it will be sufficient - well a steady 10Mbps will do it for my needs.
    Standing directly beside my modem now and my android phone is telling me the signal is 54Mbps
    Im not looking for much,

They would be a waste of money. Go with what's suggested above.
    Have you scanned to see which channels are in use nearby and moved your router to the one with least interference

I love in a very rural area, I would be the only house within half a mile at least... there are no other channels interfering with my signal. - if thats what you mean

dball wrote: »
    I love in a very rural area, I would be the only house within half a mile at least... there are no other channels interfering with my signal. - if thats what you mean

There could be devices nearby or even inside your house, baby monitors, wireless cameras, calving cameras, video senders can all use the same frequencies, therefore I'd try changing channel anyway see do things improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Hi folks I live in A large town with eircom high speed broadband in my house. With out going into the reasons I need my router in my sitting room where the signal is excellent. Kitchen is good too. But when I go to bedrooms signal is poor. I live in a bungalow and I leave all doors open to try and not inhibit the signal. I called into a shop the other day and guy recommended a tp link type wifi enhancer for €40. Cheap enough if it works. But I was wondering if any of ye members had any other advice. Should I ring eircom and ask to boost my signal if possible. Any help folks !!!

Can anyone offer some help for me folks please

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Can anyone offer some help for me folks please

Avoid wifi extenders or enhancers, they'll only half the speed of your network. It's best get something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DHB2T44?pc_redir=1402439572&robot_redir=1

Thanks same ol. Any chance can u explain how that would work and help me. Ta

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Thanks same ol. Any chance can u explain how that would work and help me. Ta

It's a powerline adapter with wireless, it uses your electrical circuitry to transmit a signal from the first adapter (you place beside the router) to the second adapter which has an inbuilt wireless access point to cover the area with poor signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

Just wondering if i used the power line adaptor recommended here and plugged it in next to a rear door would it extend my wifi outside to patio area. I have a good broadband signal 65Mbps at the router which decreases to 4Mbps at rear door approximately 40 feet away and nothing when i step outside. I could even plug it outside for the occasional use.

hargo wrote: »
    Just wondering if i used the power line adaptor recommended here and plugged it in next to a rear door would it extend my wifi outside to patio area. I have a good broadband signal 65Mbps at the router which decreases to 4Mbps at rear door approximately 40 feet away and nothing when i step outside. I could even plug it outside for the occasional use.

Yes, as long as they were both on the same electrical circuit board and it's not an extension socket

Yes, as long as they were both on the same electrical circuit board and it's not an extension socket

Just to clarify, two sockets to the same fuse board but on different circuit breakers are okay.

hargo wrote: »
    Just to clarify, two sockets to the same fuse board but on different circuit breakers are okay.

Yes

Thanks

Advertisement