Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Comic Con 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Awww I thought you meant Dr. Alan Grant...from Jurassic park :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Bistoman wrote: »
    With the massive success of MCM recently, Its now time to think about the other Comic Con.

You do know there is more than one happening on these fair shores over the coming months. DCC isn't even the next event happening.
    With Invasion hitting the May Bank Holiday weekend.
    Then 2d in June.
    http://2dfestival.com/

http://www.invasion.ie/

http://www.geekireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

MarkHall wrote: »
    You do know there is more than one happening on these fair shores over the coming months. DCC isn't even the next event happening.
    With Invasion hitting the May Bank Holiday weekend.
    Then 2d in June.
    http://2dfestival.com/

http://www.invasion.ie/

http://www.geekireland.com/

Wow!!! You are right, I didnt know about the 2dFestival, Guess I'm too Dublincentric. That looks amazing. It should have its own topic here on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

and www.Shamrokon.ie in August one of the guests is Michael Carroll who writes for Judge Dredd and 2000AD

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Froggy7

Hi all, My son & Daughter were very much looking forward to go to Dublin Comic Con this Saturday. Unfortunately, I missed the boat and it is now sold out. Would anyone be willing to sell me their tickets or swap for Sunday tickets instead? I'd be very grateful. In total, I'd be looking for 3 to 5 tickets. Any suggestions welcome. =)

• Advertisement

Only suggestion is to get there early on The Saturday. As all other lines on them are done.

https://www.facebook.com/DublinCityComics?fref=nf
    Ring em first thing tomorrow. As they had some tickets left according to their fb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hi all, My son & Daughter were very much looking forward to go to Dublin Comic Con this Saturday. Unfortunately, I missed the boat and it is now sold out. Would anyone be willing to sell me their tickets or swap for Sunday tickets instead? I'd be very grateful. In total, I'd be looking for 3 to 5 tickets. Any suggestions welcome. =)

I have a Saturday ticket, and am looking to swap it for a Sunday ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Froggy7 wrote: »

I got tickets on the day (Saturday) last year but as I saw it there were very few available. I didn't plan on going in until 1pm but nipped down at 10:30am to get tickets as I heard that they would sell out. At 10:30 I q'ed for about 30minutes and managed to get two. By the time I went away and came back at 1pm they were turning away cars as the place was sold out.

Basically get down well early on the Saturday/ Sunday if you want to get some of those on-the-day tickets. The Q for ticket holders was quite big as well so if you do want to chance your arm for on-the-day tickets make sure you're in the right one.

On another note I'm very much looking forward to this, can't wait for the weekend :)

Like James said. I went at about 10 last year and got in with My son, In fact the queue for the late tickets was very small compared to the prebought tickets, I reckon I got in at least 30 mins before some people with tickets who arrived the same time as me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kittythekat

Can anyone sell me an adult ticket for Saturday. ... ut would mean a lot to my daughter. Thanks Catherine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This is not a place for people to co-ordinate buying, selling or swapping tickets. If you're looking for tickets, please post on adverts.ie.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that such events are selling out in Ireland. I realize that there are a number of factors contributing to this across recent years but I wouldn't have imagined a situation like this even a few years ago.

Does anyone know how many tickets were sold and if capacity has increased at all compared to last year's sell out show?

I think it was 6,000 last year over the two days.

The venue is the same so I assume its the same sort of figures.
    Unless they got a Marque for outside the Hall. Now that being said there was a lot of space last year between stalls and exhibits. I wonder if it'll be as roomy this year. But if the weather holds there is plenty of space outside I hope they make use of.
    As it was most bodies ended up on the green outside the center once they had done and bought what they where after. Watching the Wrestling or Z.E.R.O event.

While it's a fun event i prefer Dice for the Comic aspect of show. And am gutted that the Dredd heads. Alan Grant will make up for it.

MarkHall wrote: »
    I think it was 6,000 last year over the two days.

Unless they got a Marque for outside the Hall..

They DO have a marque, Dont ask how I know ;)

If it was the internet. Beware that guy tells lots of lies.

Looking forward to rocking up tomorrow and seeing what's what.

I am a little disappointed that no floor plan or exhibitor list has been made available at this stage. The Exhibitors tab on the main website has had an “under construction” image for the last year and even still today with 24hrs to go.

I popped over to the MCM event back in April on the Sunday and they had all such information on their website a week ahead of time.

I am a little disappointed that no floor plan or exhibitor list has been made available at this stage. The Exhibitors tab on the main website has had an “under construction” image for the last year and even still today with 24hrs to go.

I popped over to the MCM event back in April on the Sunday and they had all such information on their website a week ahead of time.

No floor plan,But the facebook page gets updated regularly.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=531562526973399&set=a.221197868009868.49076.100003589692355&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/dublin.comiccon?fref=nf

Yeah that's true. I've been keeping an eye on that all week and to be fair to the organizers they were bang on with putting out the information they did this morning regarding door tickets.

My gripe above is only minor as I am looking forward to the event.

I'm currently training for the Dublin City Marathon so I'll be putting in some miles each morning over the weekend before hobbling around the event both afternoons :)

• Advertisement

so... anyone have any thoughts on the show?

I enjoyed it. Attended most of the talks on the main stage and thought they were entertaining/ informative enough.

I think it all went off very well, The sets ware quite good, the stalls ware plentiful and the Guests ware very cooperative with the Fans. I would say the event had about twice as many attractions as last year. Everyone I talked to ware very happy with it. Only problems I heard about ware long queues on Saturday and some people not too happy with the Guests taking breaks while they ware queuing ( But what can You expect?)
    It was a complete sellout, I think someone said 800 or so tickets sold on the day, So very few ware disappointed. It was less hectic getting in on Sunday ( Possibly because people with weekend tickets came late on Sunday)
    I should declare that I was on staff ( Volunteer) Over the weekend, And from what I could see everyone had a ball.
    The Tea/Coffe Stand outside was a bit pricey, But the rest of the food outlets seemed reasonable enough for such an event.
    Overall a Thumbs Up from Me, How did You find it? Good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw some pics from a friend who went and I will definitely be going next year, looked like there were some great stalls and a good buzz about the place.

I have lots to say about it but I guess the biggest thing I took away from it was the atmosphere; a huge room full of strangers and everyone seemed to get along and have a great time together.

As I said I attended the majority of the talks on the main stage and that's where most of my compliments will be directed at. There was great enthusiasm from all of the speakers. You could tell that most of the Irish crowd knew each other as they made a lot of to 'inside jokes' which could have very easily been a bad thing save for the fact that the moderators of each panel did their jobs very well; they continuously kept their audience up to date on different references throughout the panels and, I feel, really made the audience feel involved. The chap in the red flash shirt, who seemed to be on stage all day on Saturday, in particular was quite good.

The cosplay competition on Sunday felt a little disorganised with people crowding around and the hosts were calling out names from a hand written a4 sheet of paper but that didn't spoil the show itself. There were a ton of great costumes on display and, like my first comment, the atmosphere in the room was perfect. That kid in the costume from Portal was ace in my opinion.

To echo Bistoman above, there were plenty of good tables selling some cool stuff. I didn't buy much in the way of merchandise but did come home with a lot of Irish comics. Also I didn't mind paying 20bills for a photo with Batman and the crowd running the photo area were very nice. I'm not a minecraft player but noted the photo set for it. Had my nephew been with me he'd have went crazy for it and, having checked the prices, I thought it good value.

On the downside... 2 things.
    I was at this event last year as well and so after q-zing for the Alien set I was a little disappointed to see that it was exactly the same as the previous year.
    Secondly, and in what may be an unfair comparison to the better financially back MCM event, I didn't like the tri fold map made available to attendees. I would have preferred to know what stalls were where and who was at each table. As I drove home on Sunday I remembered a table I had walked by, told myself that I'd return to later, but forget until I was on the way home. I still have my MCM programme and as such a record of what creators I spoke to on the day but I can't do the same with the DCC.

I would consider the above as "areas I would like to see improved upon in future" rather than "complaints" as I did have a great time. Between MCM from April and the DCC I have to say that I enjoyed DCC more and will be happy to watch it improve and grow in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent vid, didn't think there would be as much cosplay, raging now I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

I had a blast at this. My first time attending a Comic Con, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But it was great. Brilliant atmosphere, everyone was friendly, bought lots of cool stuff, and I got to meet two of my Batman idols; Kevin Conroy, and Batman writer Alan Grant. I also got to meet Ernie Hudson from the Ghostbusters movies.

Can't wait for next year's one.

Advertisement