Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J-1 FAQ & Links Superthread (Read first before posting) **UPDATED 11/7/2011**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ciankgn

Hi all,

First, this is an amazing thread. Thanks to all for the advice, its very helpful.

The question I wanna ask is has anyone got a general idea of costs for a 12 month visa. I know that costs will depend on flights, company, sponsor etc.. but has anyone got a ballpark? like €1500? or higher? What did it cost you to go?

I'd love to go to the NY area for 12 months and I have graduated with an IT degree.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

€1,500 to €2k is a good range to include visa, insurance & flights. Then you will need at least €2K with you to get set up re accomodation and to cover you until you start earning. Probably need alot more then that for NYC tho as rents are crazy down there and most landlords will ask for first & last months rent plus deposit..but if you have family or friends to go to it will go a long way!! hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SDARBS

I dont see this one answered before, so forgive me if its already been asked.

Currently studying for a postgraduate MBA Part Time, reading the literature I think it qualifies for IWT, could anyone in the know confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dmca811

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me here. I am in the process of getting my Irish citizenship and passport, luckily this is very easy!

However I just spoke to go4less and they say that because I went to university in Scotland I am not eligible for the IWT visa. Can anyone shed any light on this? The direct quote from the US state department document is "Be a bona fide post-secondary college/university student or recent graduate. A recent
    graduate is defined as an Irish citizen who has graduated from a post-secondary college/university in their home country no more than 12 months beyond graduation. The applicant must provide evidence from his/her post-secondary institution of student status or graduation." I was born in Scotland, so can I claim this is my home country, and therefore claim eligibility?

Thanks, in advance.

No its a bilateral agreement between the US and Ireland and "home" only refers to Ireland in this case. In order to qualify you must have attended full time college within the 32 counties of Ireland. Sorry dude!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Hey, just wondering how much money you're supposed to have in your pocket going out there? The cost of this whole endeavour seems pretty steep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think it was $900 or so if you don't have a job lined up, about $700 if you do. But realistically you're going to need it and maybe more - you need money to live (food, transport) if you don't have a job right away, might not get a pay cheque for two weeks to a month, may have to pay rent/security deposit/1st and last months rent to landlord. Basically it's money to cover your ass for the first month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Also wondering by what time do flights have to be booked?

Also, is there much difference between the different programmes? Is there any 'better' one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Just wondering how did people chose who to go with to get the J1? Like usit etc. Don't really know what the difference is or who to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Robotnic

Great thread people! Can the IIC boston help you with Summer J1 Visa or is it only the IWT/intern visa that you'd go to them for?

Does anyone know earliest start date of a J1 for summer 2012, can't see it on any of the FAQ pages of the Irish companies?
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 blagirl

Hey try campleaders.com ! There a camp company and sort ur visa, flights etc out for u. With them u write up your own profile and they post it live on a database for over 1000 Camp companies in America. So you could get placed anywhere in the usa its €600 for flights and fees with them and then u stay at the camp as a counselor for 8 weeks, food/acc is free and u get paid :D Can travel after then :) best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Would anyone know how I could go about getting the J1 Visa myself? I rang usit there a few minutes ago and they said a J1 to NY would cost between 1100-1200 and there isn't a chance I'm paying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

That's how much it costs unfortunately. I think the IIC in Boston might be a bit cheaper but I found it handy to use USIT because you go in once and sort it out rather than emails back and forth to the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

You have to go through an agency btw

MEJ wrote: »
    You have to go through an agency btw

Ah yeah I know I went on one to Boston three years ago and thought Usit were alright but I've been told if you go in and try and haggle with them they might sort out cheaper flights so I think I'll do that now or risk heading over with a holiday visa and work with the Mexicans!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Im sure this has been asked many times already but I couldn't find the suitable threads.

Basically, is it true that companies such as USIT and go4less charge 100-300 euro extra for flights if you book through them?

Is it possible to apply for your J1 to US embassy on your own without paying 3rd parties?

And lastly, Im looking at Boston here. €460 return atm on skyscanner, how much more than that do ye reckon i'll pay with USIT and likes?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Im sure this has been asked many times already but I couldn't find the suitable threads.

Basically, is it true that companies such as USIT and go4less charge 100-300 euro extra for flights if you book through them?

Is it possible to apply for your J1 to US embassy on your own without paying 3rd parties?

And lastly, Im looking at Boston here. €460 return atm on skyscanner, how much more than that do ye reckon i'll pay with USIT and likes?

Thanks guys!

USIT charged me €800 for flights to JFK and they're not even direct. It'd probably work out cheaper to book your own and pay their ridiculous €75 "admin" fee. They're such a ****ing rip off it's incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭R019912

This question has probably been asked many times but I can't find it. Anyway, I'm in final year and going on a J1 in the summer. Have my interview soon and I literally have zero proof that I intend to return home. I really do intend to but I'm just not sure what I wanna do when I get back. What do people suggest I do in this situation?

Get somebody you know to write you a letter on company letterhead paper saying they will offer you a job with the company on your return. Worked for me. Otherwise if you intend to do a postgrade get a letter from a college.

Corrimbla wrote: »
    Get somebody you know to write you a letter on company letterhead paper saying they will offer you a job with the company on your return. Worked for me. Otherwise if you intend to do a postgrade get a letter from a college.

Tbh, I don't really know anybody that can provide a letter from a company saying I'm going to be working there. I've no intentions of doing a postgraduate, but if I just apply for one would that be proof enough? It's kind of annoying that they can't appreciate that not everybody has a definite plan set out for their life before coming home from America. I intend to just go there, enjoy it and reevaluate what I wanna do with my life when I'm home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There are millions of people trying to get into the US every year. They have to be strict with who they let in.

You could provide copies of some job applications or college applications or something. Maybe even a family member or close friend write a letter for you. They just need some sort of proof that you won't overstay your visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

R019912 wrote: »
    This question has probably been asked many times but I can't find it. Anyway, I'm in final year and going on a J1 in the summer. Have my interview soon and I literally have zero proof that I intend to return home. I really do intend to but I'm just not sure what I wanna do when I get back. What do people suggest I do in this situation?

Neither me nor my friend were asked for proof of intention to return and we're both in our final year.

Neither me nor my friend were asked for proof of intention to return and we're both in our final year.

I'll probably end up being the one unlucky f**ker out of every 100 people that they ask for proof from!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 colliehandy

Hey guys, I am due to pay my balance with USIT tomorrow. I made two payments of 400 euros today online on the USIT website with a VISA card, however, when I attempted to make the third and final payment I was unable to do so. Instead, I kept getting a message saying the following:

"Please note:

In order to make a payment towards your J1 Booking, you must contact our Call Centre or one of our branches.

Contact details for our branches can be found here."

This normally wouldn't be a problem but my balance is due tomorrow (Sunday) and the USIT offices are closed on Sunday! Anyone have a solution?

anyone going to New York and want to give me a job for 2 months? pretty please...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 propagandavm

Im looking to apply for the graduate visa through the iiic boston. How did people get in contact with them? Are they much cheaper than going through goforless or usit?

Also is there anyone planning on going to the states in before october 12? Im going on my own. :(

Hi, I need urgent advice on my passport! I only just read on the interview guide that the passport needs to be in pristine condition. I spilled coffee on my passport a while back and the top parts of most pages have small stains on them. Also a lot of the pages have bent corners. Does anybody know how strict the embassy are on this? My interview is wednesday and i'm meant to be leaving on the 27th of May, so am I screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Its 100% up to the discretion of the Embassy.

My friend went up with a passport that had the cover glued back on and they gave her her visa. She had no problems. However, that could have been the person working that day.

Try and clean up your passport, i.e. straighten out the pages, maybe put it under something very heavy for a few days to flatten out.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Its 100% up to the discretion of the Embassy.

My friend went up with a passport that had the cover glued back on and they gave her her visa. She had no problems. However, that could have been the person working that day.

Try and clean up your passport, i.e. straighten out the pages, maybe put it under something very heavy for a few days to flatten out.

Thanks for the info. I went to my interview yesterday. Nothing was said but I dunno whether I will get the visa or not. If I wasn't gonna get it would they have told me there and then or do I need to wait until the documents are posted back out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

R019912 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I went to my interview yesterday. Nothing was said but I dunno whether I will get the visa or not. If I wasn't gonna get it would they have told me there and then or do I need to wait until the documents are posted back out?

Normally they say something either way ("congrats" or "Have a nice time in the USA this summer" or "I am sorry we cannot issue you a visa because..." or "Before we issue your visa, we need to investigate.."). If they kept your passport and documents, that is a good sign though. Did they give you a piece of paper with anything written on it?

Advertisement