Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out of Comixology.

• 21-08-2014 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm locked out of Comixology. I can't remember my username or password, and I think I shut down the email account that it was linked to. Am I screwed?

Also, this is the exact situation I was worried about when I started buying digital comics. It's my fault that I'm locked out, but I'm gonna be reluctant to buy digital again. Guided view is a real pleasure, but is it worth it? The collected editions are quite expensive, especially when comprated to sites like The Book Depository, which offers free shipping? Does anyone else feel the same, or are you guys happy going digital?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you've already paid just grab them from a torrent site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Thargor wrote: »
    If you've already paid just grab them from a torrent site.

I actually paid for them because I first read them via a torrent site! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Does anyone else feel the same, or are you guys happy going digital?

Much in the same way as I would prefer a mix tape to a digital download, I always go for real live Comic Books over digital. However.... when Marvel recently did their discount of a month's membership for $0.99, I couldn't resist giving it a go. Worked out at €0.76 so why not? I get a lift to work early 2 days a week and am at a loss for anything to do but now I have a world of digital comics on hand and I really love it. I'll still be getting my weekly bunch of physical comics, that won't change, but I'm gonna keep up with MU for the story-lines that I was interested by but never wanted to commit huge money to. I'm also finding some great stuff that otherwise would have slipped under my radar so that's awesome too.

TL;DR - Physical comics is my bag but supplementing my reading with digital comics on my phone is something I'm gonna keep up!

Much in the same way as I would prefer a mix tape to a digital download, I always go for real live Comic Books over digital. However.... when Marvel recently did their discount of a month's membership for $0.99, I couldn't resist giving it a go. Worked out at €0.76 so why not? I get a lift to work early 2 days a week and am at a loss for anything to do but now I have a world of digital comics on hand and I really love it. I'll still be getting my weekly bunch of physical comics, that won't change, but I'm gonna keep up with MU for the story-lines that I was interested by but never wanted to commit huge money to. I'm also finding some great stuff that otherwise would have slipped under my radar so that's awesome too.

TL;DR - Physical comics is my bag but supplementing my reading with digital comics on my phone is something I'm gonna keep up!

I hadn't heard of Marvel Unlimited before now. Even at $9.99 it's good value. Of course I could download all of this stuff for free, but I'm just sick of piracy. Perhaps I've been socially conditioned to enjoy spending money, but I find I have zero respect for stuff that I don't earn or pay for. So I'll definitely sign-up for that subscription. I can take around the Marvel Universe in my pocket, but still continue to flesh out my collection with the paperbacks. A perfect solution. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How is the Marvel Unlimited android app these days? Subcribed to it last year and while the service was great, the app was awful, making half the comics unreadable.

• Advertisement

How is the Marvel Unlimited android app these days? Subcribed to it last year and while the service was great, the app was awful, making half the comics unreadable.

Good question actually. That's gonna be a deal-breaker for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you want to read digitally and are concerned about losing access, DRM-free is the way to go. An increasing number of publishers and retailers are making this available, and given Amazon's history with DRM and MP3 sales I think the same thing will come about soon enough.

Unfortunately, I don't know. Got an iPhone. App is grand though; no complaints!
    Fysh wrote: »
    If you want to read digitally and are concerned about losing access, DRM-free is the way to go. An increasing number of publishers and retailers are making this available, and given Amazon's history with DRM and MP3 sales I think the same thing will come about soon enough.

What's DRM-free?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What's DRM-free?

DRM is Digital Rights Management - basically the stuff that stops you being able to access the files without going through the app provided by the retailer. Apple and Amazon famously badgered music labels to drop DRM for digital music sales, and doing so had no discernible impact on sales numbers.

A number of comics publishers are moving towards the idea of dropping DRM and allowing customers to copy the files they purchase as they see fit. Usually you should get high-quality files in your format of choice - certainly that's what Image are doing.

Awesome, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I think it's preferable to starting a new one.

I logged-in to Comixology for the first time in about 18 months and all of my purchases are gone. I hadn't got a huge collection but still...

Before I contact them directly, has anyone had a similar experience?

Advertisement