Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancelling Sky - Problems?

• 01-08-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I need to cancel Sky as I am moving to the UK. I have phoned a few times today and have spent ages just waiting for someone to answer only for the line to drop. I've spent a small fortune trying to get through. So I've sent an email, but as its Sky and their reputation preceeds themselves, I'm a little concerned.

1. I've heard about cancellation emails being met with "phone us". They've already bled me with their ridiculous phone system today so I'm not prepared to phone them.

2. I've also heard about debt collectors being contacted when people cancel direct debits at the end of the thirty day notice period.

I clearly stated to them that I expect them to cancel my subscription after thirty days and that I will likewise be cancelling my direct debit.

My question is, if they play silly beggars, which seems to be their want, have I done enough to just say f**k off if they start hassling me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ignorant etc.

Found a free number to phone them on so just phoned and kept on it until I got an answer.

Even with me leaving the address he was trying to sell the product to me at cut prices - told me some story about nobody being able to get Sky at the same address for a year after I cancelled - why would any company stop new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Found a free number to phone them on so just phoned and kept on it until I got an answer.

Even with me leaving the address he was trying to sell the product to me at cut prices - told me some story about nobody being able to get Sky at the same address for a year after I cancelled - why would any company stop new customers?

I cancelled a month ago & I got the special offers for being a loyal customer story as well, 20% off for nine months. I cancelled anyway & am glad I did.
    Maybe if more people cancelled Sky might take a bit of notice & treat the Irish market with a bit more respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Was in pub last night and talking about TV.
    Out of the 6 of us 5 have cancelled Sky Sub in the last month incl me.
    Is this a trend others are seeing.

Most were because European rugby being split between BT and Sky requiring more subs.

Called it a day when my sub was going to be €115 pm (sport, multiroom and HD).

Bon Voyage...
    amdaley28 wrote: »
    I cancelled a month ago & I got the special offers for being a loyal customer story as well, 20% off for nine months. I cancelled anyway & am glad I did.
    Maybe if more people cancelled Sky might take a bit of notice & treat the Irish market with a bit more respect.

I left because I'm moving to the UK, so I should get better deals over there. That said, though I watch an awful lot of sport the only sport I watch on a regular basis is Italian football and hurling (strange mix, huh?) and I have other "methods" which I can use for watching those. I watch the Six Nations, but modern club/regional rugby leaves me a little cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'd call the UK sales line and get them to ring you back with the temptation of a juicy sale. Then I'd throw in the condition of them transfering you to Ireland for the cancelation.

• Advertisement

I did, sort of, a few days ago. A tip for those remaining in Ireland... go to say no to 0870, find the UK geographic number, ring it with Skype and say you've been ringing Sky Ireland all day and can't get through and can they put you through. You'll get through and it'll cost you no more than a Skype call, or nothing if you have Skype Unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Just cancelled sky myself today, holy cow! Was it hard work. They would not take no for an answer.
    I'd have to question the legality of the 31 days notice. When a contract is expired you are no longer bound to it surely. I told customer service this on the phone, but he insisted we do and that our final bill is due on 19th aug.
    We had a cheque come through from eircom yesterday, as they were doing the same trick and the regulators had ruled against them. Who regulates sky? I have the direct debit cancelled, but they will no doubt hound us for the remainder. How can they hold us to a contract which is expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Just cancelled sky myself today, holy cow! Was it hard work. They would not take no for an answer.
    I'd have to question the legality of the 31 days notice. When a contract is expired you are no longer bound to it surely. I told customer service this on the phone, but he insisted we do and that our final bill is due on 19th aug.
    We had a cheque come through from eircom yesterday, as they were doing the same trick and the regulators had ruled against them. Who regulates sky? I have the direct debit cancelled, but they will no doubt hound us for the remainder. How can they hold us to a contract which is expired.

TV isn't regulated by Comreg (AFAIK) and therefore you are simply bound by your contractual terms. The issue with Eircom was that given the procedures they themselves introduced it meant that you have no option to pay both Eircom and the new supplier. With Sky you can simply tell UPC/Saorview guy to install on the 20th. Sky's broadband product would be bound by the same rules as Eircom assuming you're moving to another provider using the Eircom lines, otherwise the 30/31 day notice period is perfectly fine, be it Sky, Vodaphone or Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I suppose when you originally enter into the contract you agree to give 31 days notice when you terminate it. Still shady that you are bound to it even after it has expired. Bah, suppose I'll have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I called this morning to cancel at 10:25am on 0818 719 819 - option4, option 5. Got through straight away. The sky agent spent 27 minutes trying to convince me to stay with them and that my decision to go with a Freesat solution is wrong. I could have insisted he cancel immediately but instead listened to what he said as I'm into tech :) In the end he knew I wasn't going to stay so completed the cancellation. My last direct debit is 25th August, the service will stop working on 20th September. I will be contacting the bank after the 25th to cancel the direct debit. FINALLY - No more bills for me after 10 years of SKY and approx €5000 spent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

Could you share that free number with us.

Advertisement