Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

nope, baby is grand, not a red patch in sight. we've been using the Johnsons ones (fragrance free, the pink ones) - it happens with those and with the Lidl ones, but not with the Huggies pure ones (or so I think, havent used the Huggies ones for too long to figure them out). Very weird, it's just rough red patches on our knuckles...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I can't use the Johnsons wipes on the girls, gives them terrible rashes... I only ever use the Huggies Pure (the cream ones) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

galah wrote: »
    cheers all for the 'driving' input. i'll ring my insurance next week, and will ask for confirmation in writing. if it turns out that i would have been ok though, i might just cry....(i know, i should have called them earlier...my own fault. the gp did say i couldnt drive, but colulndt give me a proper reason...)

I rang my crowd after my section and they said there was no issue six weeks or otherwise. However, to be on the safe side, I asked my GP for a letter saying I was ok. It was no bother and luckily, he didn't ask how I got to the surgery:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

the gp did say i couldnt drive, but colulndt give me a proper reason...

Well if you have medical advice saying you shouldn't drive, that's different - though if there is a good reason for it (not just force of habit) they should be able to tell you why. Maybe you could ask the maternity hospital / midwife for their opinion?

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

nope, baby is grand, not a red patch in sight. we've been using the Johnsons ones (fragrance free, the pink ones) - it happens with those and with the Lidl ones, but not with the Huggies pure ones (or so I think, havent used the Huggies ones for too long to figure them out). Very weird, it's just rough red patches on our knuckles...:(

I got this from washing my hands so often with new baby germ fear :D got myself the aveeno hand cream and haven't looked back.. have to remember not to rub the soap on the backs of my hands when i'm washing.. it's the detergent that does it to me ;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I only use Huggies pure wipes too. I'd use the water wipes except they're too expensive. I find the Johnson ones and most other wipes for that matter very chemically. Also while the johnsons ones seem a lot cheaper than Huggies, the Huggies last for ages as you only use 2 or 3 at a time. Once or twice I've had to buy a cheaper brand and I've used the packet much quicker. That's just an aside comment and not really related to the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I agree How Strange, I find I go through the Johnsons ones a hell of a lot faster than then Huggies the rare time I use them.
    They don't give me a rash, but they do leave my hands stinging a little after using them or worse if I use it to remove my makeup with.
    The huggies pure one's are great though, touch wood no sign of a rash on my daughter since changing to them :)

Great bargains in Dunnes for anyone needing to stock up on clothes for baby/newborn. I picked up a few nice pieces for my little lady today.
    Be sure to check the label on the clothes though rather than the one on the coathanger as I did. Ended up buying two things I need to return tomorrow that had 2-3 on the hanger and completely different sizes on the item itself. Serves me right not checking them properly!

caprilicious, are you finding out the sex on this baby? Do you know yet?! You found out on R didn't you? I remember you posting a photo of her wardrobe stuffed with pink even before she was born haha

lol yep definitely going to (try!) find out the sex. My next appointment is Jan 16th, I'm not 100% sure if I'm even getting a scan then, fingers crossed I will though and will be asking if I can find out the sex then.

One of the trousers I bought for R was 9-12 months instead of her size and a bit of me thought I may as well hang onto them in case this baba is a girl, but I don't want to put a jinx on things either way :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cbyrd wrote: »
    I got this from washing my hands so often with new baby germ fear :D got myself the aveeno hand cream and haven't looked back.. have to remember not to rub the soap on the backs of my hands when i'm washing.. it's the detergent that does it to me ;):rolleyes:

I really think this is the knux of it.
    I don't change as many nappies as my wife (aside from all of them at weekends) for our two and evenings when I get home from work. Yet- if I close my hands at all- my knuckles start bleeding as do my finger joints. I've tried over 10 different liquid soaps to no avail. I find the Neutrogena helps- though I look like something out of a horror film a lot of the time as I have problems stopping the bleeding when my knuckles crack (I'm on warfarin). The surface of my hands are like they've been sand-blasted, really bizzare......

If anyone has any suggestions regarding a soap that doesn't rip the skin off your hands- please post suggestions......... Already tried Carex, Radox, Dove, Johnsons, Baylis, Kleenex, Crabtree, Molton Brown- I could go on and on........

Ps- something at a reasonable price would be nice- I love Molton Brown- but the price will give me a heart attack some day :)

As for wipes- we've tried 4 or 5 different ones- some scented, some without scent, some with Aloe Vera, some without........ The Johnson ones dried out in a couple of hours if the pack was left slightly open. The Pampers ones were the best value (when they're on special)- and we have a really funny experience of the huggies aloe vera ones- both kids love chewing them. One attribute that the Huggies ones have that I hate- is its almost impossible to take one single one out per time- you end up with 5 or 6- when you're up to your wrists in Bepathen in one hand, a new nappy, a nappy bag and clothes in the other- and trying to control a wriggling baby- you really don't need the hassle of trying to separate the wipes too. That said- they are excellent, and they kids haven't actually swallowed them- though its so funny watching them struggle to get into the pack of wipes........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Tesco wipes are great, I really like them. That said I haven't had them in a while, as my friend gave me loads of Sainsbury's wipes & cotton wool, so haven't had to buy some in ages. Great present imo.

Little one is 12 weeks on Tuesday & sleeping 7 / 8 hours every night, so delighted with her. Just wish she'd go to sleep before 1am!!! I'm wrecked every night trying to get her to go earlier, but her time clock seems to be set.

Yeah caprilicious, got a load of 6-9 & 9-12 months clothes for my little one in Dunnes. Most of the presents we got were 0-3 & 3-6, so will need stuff until her birthday next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

smccarrick wrote: »
    If anyone has any suggestions regarding a soap that doesn't rip the skin off your hands- please post suggestions......... Already tried Carex, Radox, Dove, Johnsons, Baylis, Kleenex, Crabtree, Molton Brown- I could go on and on........

Ps- something at a reasonable price would be nice- I love Molton Brown- but the price will give me a heart attack some day :)

I find the lidl liq soap less drying to most, but i always water down any soap i use 30 to 40 % as they are mostly so drying. lidl also have a bodywash cien i think is the brand with a high urea content - not sure what it is but rocheposey boast about it too so it does something for dry skin - it is brilliant. use it or the children - all 3 - as body wash anything else, baring expensive brand like weleda or organic baby, leaves them completely dry
    However the ONLY way to avoid dry hands in my house is to use a natural glycerol based soap - bought some great ones at Naas farmers market
    - the difference is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Have you tried La Roche Posay? Their Lipikar range is brilliant for very dry skin and eczema too. It isn't cheap (about €14/15 I think) but it really does last ages. I use their moisturisers and only buy maybe 3 times a year.

Lola92 wrote: »
    Have you tried La Roche Posay? Their Lipikar range is brilliant for very dry skin and eczema too. It isn't cheap (about €14/15 I think) but it really does last ages. I use their moisturisers and only buy maybe 3 times a year.

I think I must be getting old- I've never had to use hand or facial moisturisers before in my life- now my skin is falling to bits...... Will give the Lidl option a try and see how it fares, then if that doesn't work- I'll move onto the La Roche Posay. At the moment the only thing that works is a tube of Neutrogena a week- on both hands and face......... Sigh..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I think I must be getting old- I've never had to use hand or facial moisturisers before in my life- now my skin is falling to bits...... Will give the Lidl option a try and see how it fares, then if that doesn't work- I'll move onto the La Roche Posay. At the moment the only thing that works is a tube of Neutrogena a week- on both hands and face......... Sigh..........

Well you don't have to start now! :p Lipikar is the name of the range. They do a cleanser, body wash, balm, hand cream etc. Most good chemists will stock them and would be more than likely to give you a few samples. They usually have a particular staff member trained in on the products too so would be no harm to ask their opinion or the pharmacists either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I purchased a Borri sleigh style cot today. I am broke now but what the hell.

Caught Saoirse (she'll be 2 in February) trying to climb out of the cot this morning... she wears a grobag though so she can't get her legs over but she nearly had it with just lifting her arms up and leaning... little wagon... and she's too wriggly to go into a bed yet!

Setting up Ellens cot for her during the week, she'll be the only one to stay in the room with us passed 12 weeks, but she's a great sleeper and as soon as Saoirse is properly sleeping through (she's teething at the moment so waking at night crying, but going back to sleep) again, Ellen will be going in there with her. Addison doesn't sleep through at all so she's definitely not sharing a room with her lol.

We have to organise another outing- I'm dying to show off Baby Shane (who is now walking and enjoying climbing- but with a propensity to try to climb up curtains). As for Baby Helen- well, she is trying to stand up, despite the fact that she can't crawl yet........ We're in for a fun few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd love another outing too! Last time I only had a bump, now I've a baby! :D

I find the Johnsons wipes ok with my little man, but his skin doesn't seem sensitive to anything really (very lucky me!)

I do get the dry hands things though, but i've had that for ages. I use a horrendous amount of Nivea soft, I always have at least 3 or 4 tubes on the go. I find a lot of the other moisturisers too greasy, but haven't tried the La Roche Possay one yet... might have to give that one a go!

Starting my little man on solids next weekend, I can't wait! I know Anabel Karmel is pretty popular... anything other good resources?? (haven't looked at the weaning thread yet, gonna ckeck that out for some hints too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

my daughter is two and a half and still in nappies, she as far as i can recall never once had a nappy rash. (we have been very lucky)

as regards wipes this is my experience with them:

• cotton wool and water - we used these for the first few months once she started solids these became imconvenient to use.
    • Tesco brand - i can't explain it i just didn't like them personally.
    • Supervalue brand - we went through them much too quick, we'd use twice as many as the other brands.
    • Huggies pure - they kept sticking together and when i pulled them apart the wipes themselves kept ripping on me.
    • pampers- i could not stand the smell on them so i avoided them.
    • Johnson - these are the ones we use, i like the smell, we don't go through them quick, they don't rip apart, come out easily and they dont cause rashes (but then the others didn't either) so they won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭upinthesky

just really depends on were im shopping for the week and whats on offer for me
    i usually shop in aldi so i buy there wipes but there not very wet my local centra sometimes has johnson's on offer so id buy them

as for nappies the only nappies id use is the aldi ones i would travel to get them couldn't bring my self to buy pampers anymore as they seem to get wet very quick with the aldi nappies when i take them of my lad he's 14 months you wouldn't even think he wet it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

cbyrd wrote: »
    i'm going to make myself very unpopular and let you know my 12 week old is sleeping through...10.30pm til 8.30-9am..:eek: can't quite believe it myself :D
    he does have a midnight dreamfeed, he started weaning about 7 weeks cos he wasn't thriving and we soon had to move him up to the hungry baby formula... he's such an easy baby thank god cos i had to go back to work at 6 weeks.. his big brother absolutely adores him..
    thanks for the thread January.. ;)
    Mine too! After a very rocky start, he goes from 10 30pm to 7am woohoo! Though 8:30-9am is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Hi ladies :-) baby Nathan is 12 days old today! Can't believe it! I'm bringing him
    For his 2 week check-up tomorrow if we can get an appoint.. He's still very congested from the mucus :( he was section born & I was told it will last about 2 weeks but it seems to be getting worse! He is gagging Alot & coughing especially at night, he's very good with sleeping between 3-4 hours at night but we're awake constantly as it sounds like he's struggling to breathe.. Anyone else have this? He's perfectly fine and able to get himself through most of the coughing fits but I do be up like a shot rubbing his back, I'm so nervous (1st baby) any suggestions? I don't want the Doc to put him on medication as he's too small, just freaked out by it all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Tigeress wrote: »
    Hi ladies :-) baby Nathan is 12 days old today! Can't believe it! I'm bringing him
    For his 2 week check-up tomorrow if we can get an appoint.. He's still very congested from the mucus :( he was section born & I was told it will last about 2 weeks but it seems to be getting worse! He is gagging Alot & coughing especially at night, he's very good with sleeping between 3-4 hours at night but we're awake constantly as it sounds like he's struggling to breathe.. Anyone else have this? He's perfectly fine and able to get himself through most of the coughing fits but I do be up like a shot rubbing his back, I'm so nervous (1st baby) any suggestions? I don't want the Doc to put him on medication as he's too small, just freaked out by it all :(

Yeah, I had that with my first baby...it's common with Section babies because the mucus didn't get squeezed out in the birth canal apparently. I wrapped him up and put him lying on his side, but only because the midwife showed me how to do it, don't do it on my say so because I know most professionals don't recommend it. As soon as he gets it all out he'll be grand. It is a worry though, but it will ease up. They might suggest to you to raise up the mattress in the cot so he can spit the mucus out?

Woohoo discovered that the cotbed is not on its lowest setting :D:D:D my wandering 2 year old will be contained again..:pac: poor him.

One very important thing is to wear gloves this time of the year both out and about and for wet housework... if you can't drive with gloves (like my husband) get some without fingers.. the elements are a curse to dry skin.. aveeno is what i use and being a hairdresser its brilliant on hands in cold weather.. i'm not sure if they do a handsoap, but you know the soap is not the important part of handwashing.. its the rubbing your hands together... so you can get away without soap if your hands are really irritated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

we're using nutriprem 2 formula and nuk bottles with a pin hole in the teeth problem is some of the formula doesn't dissolve and tends to block up the teeth. i went out and bought a few teeth with a cross hole i.e. it's cut like this + and they seem to work but it's seems a bit expensive buying the bottles then buying the teeth with the cross in it.
    as for wipes we're using johnsons baby wipes reason is the box of 6 works out alot cheaper. superquinn were doing a box of 6 for €10 got a couple of boxes as i thought i was onto a good thing, then dropped into tesco's to buy something else and ended up buying the 6 pack of johnsons for €7.

Tigeress I can't believe he's 12 days already! sorry to hear about the mucus, hopefully he'll get it up fast and start sleeping better.
    Because I had such a relatively fast birth my little girl was still quite mucusy when she was born, though by the end of the first week the worst of it seemed to have gone.

A meet up sounds good, preferably before I'm too big to fit behind the steering wheel of my car :D I'm only 6 months gone but my bump has exploded out of nowhere in the past week so I feel like I'm 9 months gone!

Lol @ cbyrd, our cotbed only has 2 settings, so high only 6' tall people can lift a child in (not good if you're 5' nothing like me :o) or else off altogether, hence why we have a routine cot escapee :D

Haha, cbyrd, you have him contained a little longer!

doubletrouble?, it is a pain, but you would have had to change teats soon enough anyway, they start to get too small for them to suck from after a while... it took a month for Ellen to head onto level 2 teats and now she'll be heading onto level 3 because she it's just taking her too long to feed and she's getting frustrated trying to suck.

• Advertisement

I use the vari-flow teat sometimes with the 3 month old.. he's on the number 2 teat but i have 2 of the vari-flow and it just depends which bottle it's on :D i do find sometimes if he's very hungry he downs the bottle faster and has a bit more wind but i find if i take the bottle away for 2 seconds and back in again that he soon regulates the suck to be a bit slower.. saying that i'm very lucky that he has no trouble with getting his wind up and nothing like his big brother was with concoction bottles of drops and gavisgon.. :rolleyes:
    Is it a thing with that formula that it doesn't fully dissolve?

Advertisement