Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Processors AMD vs INTEL

Options
  • 10-09-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Guys;

I want to buy a laptop and it seems to me that the laptops with AMD procesor are cheaper than the ones with Intel Processor

so what is the different between them?? which is better AMD or Intel Processor?? what would be the effect on using AMD than using Intel on the performance of the laptop??

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's laptop. Sorry, I don't normally correct people on their spelling but this is something which irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

It's laptop.

Fixed; sorry for that

Now what about the AMD processor??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mmalaka wrote:
    Fixed; sorry for that

Now what about the AMD processor??

Well what are you looking to do with the laptop? If it's just a bit of web browsing and sendings emails and the like, it wouldn't really matter which you got.

Mainly for web browsing but it could include some Database working and using Google Earth Applications

Also I would use it for DVD movies and perhaps some games also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well if you're playing games both are fine the thing you really need to look at, and what will drive the price right up, is the video card. Right now the Vostros is unbeatable, can be gotten for 810 or thereabouts with an 8600GT.

Also in general the Intel ones would be better, but again, neither would cause any problems in the sort of tasks you've described.

What sort of budget had you in mind?

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote:
    What sort of budget had you in mind?

I am looking for something cheap.

As I said it just for Web; some of Google Earth stuff; Database Editing (Not a huge DB), DVD movies; things that I would like to call it Houme User Plus things

It seems to me that the AMD is cheaper than Intel...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mmalaka wrote:
    It seems to me that the AMD is cheaper than Intel...

They generally are, but performance and power management would not be as good as Intel. A cheap laptop will not play the latest 3D games, you will need to be spending at least €800-€900.

For everything else you want to do, a cheap Dell Vostro will do the job.

Advertisement