Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you intend to vote in the upcoming EU Fiscal Treaty referendum?

• 28-02-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

How will you vote in the referendum?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

How do you intend to vote in the upcoming EU fiscal compact treaty referendum? 516 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    37% 192 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    62% 324 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Do not know the question, can not give an answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I'm going to vote no .

reason is every time we vote yes we get fcuked

we are going to default at some stage so better sooner then later as we won't receive bailout cash after 2013 when voting no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The “fiscal compact” outlines the closer integration of the national budgets of the 17 eurozone countries.
    It imposes a new legal framework and greater fiscal scrutiny to try and avoid a repetition of some of the dubious financial practices that triggered the euro crisis. The treaty also agrees to strengthen mechanisms that guarantee short-term stability to euro economies in trouble.

The treaty must be ratified by January 2013 and will take effect once it is ratified by 12 of the 17 euro zone countries.

The treaty will be signed in March 2012 and will enter into force once it has been ratified by at least 12 euro area member states. It will be legally binding as an international agreement and will be open to the EU countries which do not sign it at the outset. The aim is to incorporate it into EU law within five years of its entry into force.

The Fiscal Treaty requires EU Member states to a) keep their budget deficit below 3 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) and b) ensure their public debt does not exceed or is sufficiently declining towards 60 per cent of GDP.Furthermore, the member states will have to incorporate this “balanced budget rule” into their national legal systems, preferably at constitutional level. The deadline for doing so is one year at the latest after the entry into force of the treaty.

Automatic penalties, including fines, will kick in if signatories exceed deficit limits unless a qualified majority of eurozone states opposes such penalties. Currently, the eurozone already has a so-called excessive deficit procedure that is supposed to kick in once a country exceeds the three per cent of GDP cap on national budget deficits set out in the Maastricht criteria. But in the past, the procedure has not been enforced as rigorously as it should be since governments often allied with partner states and used their majority to reinterpret the rules and avoid fines and other sanctions.

Legal action can be taken in the European Court of Justice against governments which breach it. The court may impose a penalty “appropriate in the circumstances” and which does not exceed 0.1 per cent of the country’s GDP.

Treaty participants may temporarily deviate from their country-specific objectives “only in exceptional circumstances” and provided the deviation does not endanger medium-term fiscal sustainability

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Seems reasonable. After 15 seconds consideration (tops), I can emphatically state that I will be voting 'Yes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

WIZE wrote: »
    I'm going to vote no .

reason is every time we vote yes we get fcuked

we are going to default at some stage so better sooner then later as we won't receive bailout cash after 2013 when voting no

They'll get around this by saying 'Are you not in favour of the new fiscal treaty?'

And you'll vote no, meaning you ARE in favour.

God, they're clever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

Im gonna vote with my feet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

A big fat NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I'll vote no the first time, then get taken in by RTE's spin machine and change my mind for the second ballot lol.
    lucylu wrote: »
    Legal action can be taken in the European Court of Justice against governments which breach it.

They think our politicians and public service workers will take reponsibility for something. Oh my God! They're in for a shock...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Votáil NIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

NinjaK wrote: »
    A big fat Mary Harney NO
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I would have to read more about the treaty, but if I was to go by Lucylu's post I would vote yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Sonic the Large Cock

heres the new campaign moto from the government for the EU Fiscal Treaty referendum...

If this treaty was a person they would vote for you.

Apparently this will appear on the posters the government is gonna produced with Enda in a 'Uncle Sam' pose

Legendary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

NO. And primarily because we got it up the ass in previous referenda. Not this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

No, no, and no again (we'll probably have to say no 3 times before they get the message)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the short version

Yes - money
    NO - no money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If you remove the whole EU and them against us nonsense. It only makes sense that we control our public expenditure. The days of government free for all spending are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Write off most of that debt, which we never took on and I will consider a yes vote. I never believed we would get a referendum on this. Our German/french overlords are currently spewing their cereal up. Waaahey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

My takeaway is if we vote no, its the end of loans from Europe.

So that would be a no from me, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I will vote wearing wayfarers and levitating

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

For Mr Sarkozy my vote will be - Non

For Ms Merkel my vote will be - Nein

You thought you didn't have to ask the lowly peasants from Ireland didn't you. Well fook you and the horses you rode in on.

When this referendum doesn't pass in Ireland don't come crying to us. No more shall we bow to your demands. No more austerity. No more looking at our budgets and finances, goddamn none of your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

NO means NO and wont be forced to vote again either NO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't know yet till I see the actual question.
    (There should be an option for this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Freddie59 wrote: »
    NO. And primarily because we got it up the ass in previous referenda. Not this time.
    Howso? Please, I'm dying to know what you're talking about.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    You thought you didn't have to ask the lowly peasants from Ireland didn't you. Well fook you and the horses you rode in on.

When this referendum doesn't pass in Ireland don't come crying to us. No more shall we bow to your demands. No more austerity. No more looking at our budgets and finances, goddamn none of your business.
    No more austerity? How do you figure that out exactly? Our budget would have to be balanced overnight, not over the course of a few years as is being facilitated at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

I've ALWAYS and EVER voted NO to ALL referendums, why break with tradition! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Bababa

Is definitely worth a NO the first time. And then a NO the second time as well.
    Country can take a bit of pain. We did it for years. No point prostituting our country any more.
    Take the pain. Will make us stronger in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

No sense in debating the past. Let's look at where we are.

Ireland is broke....

Massive amounts of debt,
    Massive amounts of spending,

Playing nice with the EU is the best thing for us, given that we've already found ourselves in this situation. Hell, maybe the Germans and French can do a better job of policing our finances than we can?

mike65 wrote: »
    the short version

Yes - money
    NO - no money

Last Treaty,

Yes - jobs
    No - no jobs

Majority voted Yes (2nd time round) and still no jobs, and jobless is rising daily! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no because the ordinary joe soap will be fucked sideways [again] while the banks and shady money men are protected

Robdude wrote: »
    No sense in debating the past. Let's look at where we are.

Ireland is broke....

Massive amounts of debt,
    Massive amounts of spending,

Playing nice with the EU is the best thing for us, given that we've already found ourselves in this situation. Hell, maybe the Germans and French can do a better job of policing our finances than we can?

A debt which we are not legally bound to pay, a debt that is not ours. Our Country would be financially better off, if we told the Gamblers to take a hike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

It's nice to say no at first just to see how much they really want it.

Like dangling spagetti over your dog.

Advertisement