Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

• 27-01-2012 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jondu

Hey lads,
    This is my first post so hope this is of use to some people?!
    New mobile operator called '48' launched yesterday - its owned by Telefónica (O2 Ireland) so from my experience their coverage is good..
    The below paragraph if from their website http://www.48months.ie/
    'For those who are interested in where we have come from, we are independent but we are part of the overall Telefonica family, and we run our service on the O2 network.'

3000mins to irish mobile networks per month
    5000texts to irish mobile networks per month
    20mins to irish landlines per month
    All for €10 per months

500mb of data per week for €2 (from the T&C's it looks like data will cost more from the end of Feb)
    Prepaid sim only - have to port your number to them with your unlocked phone..
    Can only buy your topup online
    500mb of data per week for €2
    Customers care - looks like email or online chat only

It say on their website that this is for customers who are of the age 18-22 years old however it doesn’t look like they require ID, but sure you can say you are of that age bracket ;-)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Subbed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Does SHE come with the plan?

1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Looks great,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if its too good to be true................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

So can you top up by €10, and buy 5 x €2 internet add-ons to run one after another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is it even legal to restrict a service to people of a certain age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I didn't think you could discriminate based on age, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm probably just a bit doddery not being in the 18-22 age bracket anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jondu

I guess you'd top up €20 - €10 would go on your calls and texts
    Then use the remaining €10 how you like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

jondu wrote: »

€20?

• Advertisement

Is it even legal to restrict a service to people of a certain age?

Cant see anywhere on their website where they require ID so you can say you are 18 :)

They charge a €10 monthly membership fee, you pay this yourself online, no contract. That covers your calls, texts and landline calls.

An extra €2 for 500mb which is also purchased online.

If you miss your monthly membership payment, calls and texts are gone until you pay it.

Thats my understanding of it anyway

Soarer wrote: »
    €20?

If you topup €10 it seems this will be deducted for the free calls and texts addon.
    So maybe topup with €20 so you could buy your data addon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Very suspicious tbh..

It's one thing catering for an age bracket but blatantly cutting out a MASSIVE portion of your customer base with a silly 4 year age restriction? Seems ridiculous!

Basq wrote: »
    It's one thing catering for an age bracket but blatantly cutting out a MASSIVE portion of your customer base with a silly 4 year age restriction? Seems ridiculous!

I'm guessing as they're parent company is Telefonica (o2), once you've turned 23, you're handed over to o2 and they try to rope you into a high monthly contract.

Blikes wrote: »
    I'm guessing as they're parent company is Telefonica (o2), once you've turned 23, you're handed over to o2 and they try to rope you into a high monthly contract.
    Yeah.. and let's see how that works out for them! :D

Well i've ordered a sim and will report back if all works well!

You could say you are 18 now, so you would get this offer for the next 4 years.. not bad..
    Unless they start looking for ID to verify your age..

You could say you are 18 now, so you would get this offer for the next 4 years.. not bad..
    Unless they start looking for ID to verify your age..

That's true, i'm 22 so if they ask, i'll just tell them the truth, if it's all legit, i'll get 8 months, be happy with that!

• Advertisement

That's true, i'm 22 so if they ask, i'll just tell them the truth, if it's all legit, i'll get 8 months, be happy with that!

Its 18-22 not 22+ so if it was ID-enforced you'd get nothing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Grindylow wrote: »
    Its 18-22 not 22+ so if it was ID-enforced you'd get nothing!
    Are you taking the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Ordered a SIM card, see how it goes.
    It's a smashing price if it's as they advertise, and I don't think they can enforce the age thing really.
    Probably just a marketing ploy, so they can seem "cool"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

4. Landlines are for losers.

I don't know how I'll break this news to me ma :(

Are you taking the piss?

No I'm not, it's simple Maths?! :confused:

48 Months.
    18-19 12 months
    19-20 24 months
    20-21 36 months
    21-22 48 months

understand?

It's a smashing price if it's as they advertise, and I don't think they can enforce the age thing really.
    A friend of mine just said this on Facebook - it's the same stipulation for club's that are over 23:
    As long as its a blanket ban it's acceptable. As long as they don't let in a 20 year old they are OK of they do let one in then you can do them for discrimination

As for proving it, they may require a scan of passport or driving license - similar signing up to any site with gambling or lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Ordered a SIM card, see how it goes.
    Probably just a marketing ploy, so they can seem "cool"?

Heh, my order confirmation email (bolded text by me):
    Hi Bruno,

Thanks. We got your order for a 48 sim card. We'll let you know as soon as it's in the post. If you need to unlock your phone, now's the time to do it. There's a clever unlock guide here, take a look around. Or you can always visit your friendly phone unlocking shop; you know the kind.

Meanwhile, the crew are running a background check on you, to ensure you're proper 48 material. Won't be long.

Just kidding. (Or are we?)

Go Conquer.

48 crew

I like their style!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

Just signed up to meteor bill pay again so I'm not really interested in it. Will forward it on to my siblings though.

The catch would appear to be data...
    Mobile internet: To use internet services on your mobile you will need to purchase internet time. Our hourly internet add-ons are designed for use on your mobile handset.

To use your internet time you must have an active Monthly Membership. Any internet time you purchased will expire either when you have used the full allowance (e.g. 1 hour) or when the validity period has expired, whichever comes first. When you purchase an internet add-on it lasts until midnight at the end of same day next week. You can rollover any unused allowance by buying more internet time. For example, if you buy 5 hours internet time on January 15 and use 4 hours by January 20, then buy another 5 hours internet time on January 21, you will have 6 hours internet time valid until midnight on January 28.

The €2 for 500mb only applies until the end of February, after that they'll presumably roll out the ridiculously outdated system described above. It doesn't specify how much these hours will cost or if it will use O2's 3g network or not. I'd wager a guess that they'll either offer edge or a severely speed capped 3g service ala tesco mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Just kidding. (Or are we?)

Next they'll be graffiting your bill onto the side of your house.

We're cool. Yeah :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Basq wrote: »

Seems illegal . . . .

Summary of Equal Status

The Equal Status Act 2000 came into force on the 25th October 2000.
    It was amended by the Equality Act 2004 on the 19th July 2004.
    The Acts relate to discrimination based on the following 9 grounds: Gender, Civil Status, Family Status, Age, Race, Religion, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Membership of the Traveller community.
    The Acts apply to people who:
    Buy and sell a wide variety of goods,
    Use or provide a wide range of services,
    Obtain or dispose of accommodation,
    Attend at, or are in charge of, educational establishments,
    There are separate provisions on discriminatory clubs.
    However all complaints must relate to at least one of the 9 discriminatory grounds listed in the previous point.

Advertisement