Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MOTU] Your own inexplicable experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

A couple of odd things have happened in my family. The strangest thing that happened to me personally was this:
    My grandfather was an incredibly healthy man. He complained in the early 1990s that he had a cold. It was the first cold he'd had since 1928. I remember joking at the time once that his body was too afraid of him to get sick. In his 80s he was still incredibly fit and lean. I was very close to him but as he lived at the other end of the country didn't see him all that often.
    Anyway I was about 17 he was about 90. I was in Galway coming home on the bus from a part time job. While on the bus I got an incredibly strong feeling to ring him. The second occasion was while putting my key into the door. I can still see my hand in suspended imagination. The third occasion was while sitting watching TV. Each time the feeling was to contact him not the house he lived in with my aunt. I hadn't see him in months. There was no reason to be concened but for the second time in my entire life I was going to ring his house. I rang. My aunt answered and I immediately said "Is Granda ok?"
    He'd collapsed that day. He fell out of his standing when he was out walking. First sign of any health issues.

Another anecdote. That same aunt had a dream she was driving down Grafton Street with a friend. A horse stepped out onto the road. Me aunt swerved to avoid it and went past it. The friend immediately accused her of having hit the horse. My aunt was adamant that she hadn't. The argument escalated to the point where my aunt woke up in a temper thus remembering the dream. They were discussing her dream at work and laughing at how stupid dreams are when somebody pulled out the racing pages and picked a horse with an appropriate name. They decided to bet on it for a laugh. They rang my grandfather who agreed to place bets on the horse. He then went to the racing pages saw generous odds but looked at the form of the horse and decided that dreams aren't the way to pick winners. He never bothered to place the bet. The horse of course won @11/1.
    The horse's name: You missed me.
    Is mise
    Cormac Ó Comhraí

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

T
    That evening we all went up to stay with my grandfather and I noticed that the two clocks in the house had stopped... both of them at the same time, a little after 1pm, which is the moment she passed away. There was no explanation for it.

I know a couple of people have mentioned stopped clocks but it was a tradition in some parts of the country that you would stop the clock and put it back to the time the person died at. This way at wakes everybody would look at the clock to see what time the person died at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

My paranormal experiences involve memories that don't seem to have happened but which seem totally real to me. A recent example is where I remember playing Alice: Madness Returns on my laptop but there is no trace of it now. Another paranormal matter is where I sometimes dream about something happening and then the next day it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Knocked up to my uncle on Friday 13th April, noticed straight away he wasn't well so called another uncle - he was brought to hospital, and diagnosed with cancer then and there, and we were told he had hours to live rather than days, they had never seen anything like the aggresivesness(?) of this cancer. Anyway, he lasted an entire week. I checked his watch after a few days, the date was stuck on the 13th - that was the last day he was fully concious.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Years ago I bought a replacement carpet for my old BMW, cleaned it, folded it and put it away on a high shelf in the garage. I never got round to fitting the carpet and sold the car. So I decided to get rid of the carpet, and when taking it down, a copy of a magazine from Medjugorje fell out of it. Myself or my wife have absolutely NO idea where it came from. It definitely wasn't there when the carpet was put away and nobody would ever be in the garage except me of my wife the odd time.:confused:

I put the magazine into the car that replaced the old BMW under the mat and it's stiil there every time I check...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

I've had a number of severe deja vu experience, mostly thinking I had done the particular act in a dream so I began to keep a dream diary.

Anyway, I was sailing on the tall ships last year and I was talking to two girl up on the top deck, one of them said something, can't remember exactly and the other tossed her hair and smiled. Thats what set me off. I went below and got my dream diary and found the entry, I brought it back up to the two girls and showed them. I had gotten every detail spot on except for one girls name, I called her Elizabeth instead of Elaine. But other than that the scenery was the exact same, the comment passed, the mood at the time. I've yet to relate any more dreams to future events so explicitly but I'll keep you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

My grandparents house was supposedly built on a leyline or fairy path.
    Anyway when I was a kid I can remember I used to play in the field her house was built on.
    Sometimes in one particular corner of the field I would come upon large animal bones I'd tell my dad we would go out together to see them the next thing we arrive and they're gone.
    A month later I'd see them again and say nothing, for fear of dad laughing at me.

That whole area is strange I never felt at ease there.
    I go down there fly fishing for seatrout during the summer,it's in North Kerry but at night I feel like I'm in an ancient land it's just a very ancient untouched land without any human intentional purpose.
    John Moriarty often said when we walk into a field and feel sad or fearful,it's not the self thats feeling sad or fearful but it's in the land.

I live in the Burren now and there's a lot of wild places :S

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I am a sceptic when it comes to the paranormal, but I have had a few wierd expierences over the years. A good while back I went to visit my grandmother. She had been ill for a long time but on this day she was in great form and looked a lot better. I remarked on this and she told me about a dream she had the night before. She had a very vivid dream that she was on the back of my brothers motorbike. He was driving very fast down country roads and she could feel the wind in hair etc....The dream went on for ages and she woke up all exicted . About a month later she passed away. Early on the morning of the funeral my brother went off on his own. Later on I asked where he went and he told me he went for a drive on his bike to clear his head. He also had the strangest feeling that my grandmother was with him, felt her presence on the back of the bike. He found himself driving to the derilict cottage where she was born, on the outskirts of the city. Her took a clipping from the hedge in the garden and placed it on top of her coffin. As soon as he told me I remembered my grandmothers story. He was in shock when I told him about the vivid dream she had the month before. He had never heard the story until I told him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

This is not my own, but a good friend told me of this story his father told him which he was present for....

This happened about 30 years ago when all these lads were in their early 20's. There were 5 lads who were mad keen on hurling and used always go to the trainings/matches together....anyway this one day 4 of the lads were in the car about to go to training when they pulled up at the final member of the groups house to collect him just like it always was. They beeped the horn and everything but nothing....it was very odd they said because he was always on time and was mad keen for sport....one of the lads goes into the house to see if someone was there but there was nobody there at all. the lads thought this was weird but decided to go on away because there was a good chance he got a spin to training himself or maybe drove himself as he had his own car.

Anyway the lads made their way along the road to the pitch and came across a stoppage....they could see a few garda cars/ambulance etc. The Gardai came down and said there was a bad accident and said the road would be closed for a good while. The lads then decided to abandon the car and make their way to the pitch through a couple of fields...as they were just heading out back onto the road they heard a roar "get back get out of the way" and just like that a bull went flying past them, barely missing them...when they looked around they saw that the call came from their friend who was absent until now. He seemed out of breath like he was after doing a sprint. The lads asked him where was he all along and he just said "I've got to go" and ran back again. The lads took little notice and just thought he was after a few drinks and went off and took part in training. The lads were still puzzled about what happened after training when they saw the same Garda car just by the dressing rooms. The Guard announced to them that their friend ____ (the lad who was missing from training) was in the same car accident that the lads came across and died a few hours ago. The lads said he must have made a mistake as they were talking to him after the accident. The Guard was certain it was their friend and he was right, he died at the scene and was for some time when the lads came across the crash on the road. So how do you explain the warning he gave them?

-

Now lads honestly I found this hard enough to believe and anyone would be the same really but I've talked to my friends father about it and he's always swore he and the lads saw it and that spirit/presence saved their lives that day. That same man says he gets nightmares all the time of that scene and at one stage he couldn't cope at all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Leadamp

raveni wrote: »
    That sounds like sleep paralysis. I've never experienced it myself but I'd imagine it is pretty unsettling the first time you get it, especially if you haven't heard of it before.

Sleep Paralysis is terrifying. I've only had the one where you hallucinate once and that was scary but I've had the other one where you just can't move so many times before so I knew what was happening.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TheComeUp wrote: »
    So how do you explain the warning he gave them?

I can't :) Thats the very definition of a mystery of the unexplained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cross_strike

This is actually my Mam's experience, not mine!

When she was 17, my Granny and Granda took her and her siblings on holidays to some place called Serges Cottage in Cork. My Mam always found the cottage really creepy. It was in a bit of a state and filled with mice. One day, when she was minding her nieces and nephews with my Granny, they saw a man with a shotgun walk up the drive. My Granny thought he was a local looking for something, so she went and opened the door to have a chat, but he'd disappeared! She was terrified and she'd always been an awfully superstitious woman, so she got the rosary beads and made my mam and all the kids hide until my Granda got back!

Anyway, when they went to the pub that night, they were told a priest had shot himself inside the house! Pretty creepy!

BTW, if anyone knows anything about Serges Cottage, I'd love to hear it! Been trawling the internet and I can't find anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

First time posting in this forum!

I don't know if these qualify but I'll share anyway...

Occasionally, I'll be in a very familiar place (eg college, walking down a street) and completely forget where I am and how I got there. This might last only a few seconds, not a nice experience.

Not just limited to places but I can sometimes forget how to do things. My best example is one morning I hopped into my car and completely forgot how it worked or how to drive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

dgt wrote: »
    First time posting in this forum!

I don't know if these qualify but I'll share anyway...

Occasionally, I'll be in a very familiar place (eg college, walking down a street) and completely forget where I am and how I got there. This might last only a few seconds, not a nice experience.

Not just limited to places but I can sometimes forget how to do things. My best example is one morning I hopped into my car and completely forgot how it worked or how to drive :confused:

Have you ever talked to the doc about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's the D-turbo fumes ladd :pac:. No seriously I know what you mean if I'm in a hurry and got somethings to do I can for a brief second I can forget simple everyday things. It's just a brief lapse in concentration. It could be contributed to a lack of a healty diet, exercising to releasing stress. It could be doing up a shoelace, putting sugar in the fridge, sure we've all done little things like that :rolleyes:. If in doubt as said above just call to the doc, hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I never saw it as a medical issue, alas if it persists I will talk to a doctor. It's not common but the odd time it happens

Mystery.... Explained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 marcdamien1974

auntyweeze wrote: »
    im not sure if this would be an experience or a dream.
    i am nearly positive i was awake when this happened the other night.
    i was in bed it was very early in the morining maybe 2 or 3am and i woke up and couldnt move i was trying to get my phone from my bedside locker to see the time but couldnt move at all not even my arms only my eyes it felt like something was sitting on my chest i looked up and all i could see was black shadows so in my mind i started to tell this black thing to go away and leave me alone but it honeslty felt like something was pinning me down after what felt like ages but was probably only a minute or two the weight lifted off my chest and i started coughing. it was like i was after holding my breath for ages. this has happened me once or twice before but years ago but it kinda freaked me out but i put it down to a dream but i could have sworn i was awake

yeah it defo sounds like sleep paralysis. Its supposed to be very common. Happened to me once. I woke up to myself floating towards the ceiling so i tryed to reach out to grab my girlfriend who was asleep beside me but i couldnt move or say anything. then after about 30 seconds i just felt released . Sounds exactly like your experience. When i toold people they laughed at me until i heard about the sleep aparalysis. perfect explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great forum :) Why am I only seeing it now...

A few years ago, some weird things were happening around my parents house. I'll just start this by saying I don't believe in ghosts/the afterlife, would consider myself an agnostic atheist and always look for logical reasons behind things.

However...

When my sisters were about 6 or 7, the two of them were fast in bed asleep upstairs. Myself and the folks were sitting downstairs around the kitchen table having a late dinner.

When all of a sudden, a blood curdling scream comes from their room. Sounded like both of them screaming at exactly the same time. A terrified scream I'd never heard from them before.

Ran upstairs to see what was going on and both of them were lying in their beds, petrified and shaking. It was all very confusing.

When we finally got them to calm down to see what happened, they both kept saying there was a man in the room. The freaky thing was, they both described the exact same 'man' separately from each other.

Apparently he was completely powder white, bald, dressed in a white robe, but with black features. They could see him clearly enough to make out facial features.

I've asked them a few times about it while they were adults and they still stand by what they saw. I remember one of them said she saw it, thought it was just her imagination and said to her sister 'do you see that?' to which she said 'yes'.

Around that time, some other freaky things went on. Things moving around. The attic door swinging open. Things which never really happened before.

The above could all really be explained away if you wanted to, children and their crazy imaginations, maybe someone opened the attic door and forgot to close it...this one though...

A few days after the 'incident' with the weird bald white apparition, my dad went out to the shed to get something. It was locked with a padlock from the outside as usual.

When he opened it, he saw this. A screwdriver embedded into a very solid piece of wood (I think it was a bed side cabinet). It was right as you open the door, as if someone was trying to make a point. Apologies for the size of the photo, this was taken years ago on an early gen camera phone!

screwdriver1.jpg

This was a heavy screwdriver, so it needed to be embedded deep to get it to stick out like that. He tried to create it himself by banging the screwdriver into the side of it but just couldn't as the wood was too solid. It kept falling out.

We never did get to the bottom of how that happened inside a locked shed.

Master of the Universe

Just trying to apply some logic to the screwdriver pic I posted.

Someone would have had to -
    • Gain access to the house
    • Find the key for the shed
    • Gone back out to the shed and opened the door
    • Found a screwdriver and some heavy object
    • Knock the screwdriver into the wood panel, in one strike, first attempt. No easy task. Whatever did it, definitely did it in one go as there were no other marks on the wood panel.
    • They also had to get it dead straight in one go. The screwdriver was solid. It's not like they knocked it in and then wiggled it straight. It's also so straight that it couldn't have accidentally fallen in somehow.
    • then lock the shed back up.
    • Put the keys back in the house.
    • Leave without it looking like they were ever there.

Without wanting to sound too sensationalist, it looks to me like someone threw it with great force like a dart :confused:

Welcome to the forum dude, really interesting post re the apparition & the screwdriver. The screwdriver one is particularly bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Hugo Salty Sideline

I spent a lot of time during my teenage years in my grandmother's house and odd things used to happen there all the time- things moving themselves, unexplained noises and lights etc. I remember one night, there was just me and gran in the house and I went to wash the dishes after supper. The plug stopper was missing from the sink. Myself and granny tore the place apart looking for it to no avail. Eventually, we gave up and just decided that it must have fell down into some dark unreachable place. Half an hour later, I got up to fill the kettle and there was the stopper, smack bang in the middle of the sink :eek:

Another night, I left a pair of jeans and a tshirt drying on the clothes horse in front of the fire. Got up early the next morning to find my clothes laid out perfectly on the couch as if someone had been sitting in them.

Another night, I was lying wide awake unable to sleep. I turned over to face the wardrobe only to see a big ball of yellow light on the wardrobe door. There was absolutely nowhere it could have been coming from. It was kind of pulsating, getting bigger and smaller. Eventually it just shrank away to nothing and disappeared.

All sorts used to go on there :D There would always be sounds of pots and pans scraping in the kitchen at night but when we'd get up, nothing would be moved :confused: My mother says that when she was young, they would all hear the same thing at night and when they would get up, all of the saucepan lids would have been put into the oven in the range stove :eek: Also, it might be worth adding that my granny is not the prank playing type and these events would frighten the sh1te out of her :( Strange things still happen in the house only not as often (or maybe I'm just not there to notice :D)

Any rational explanations welcome :D

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum dude, really interesting post re the apparition & the screwdriver. The screwdriver one is particularly bizarre!

Was some weird stuff alright. I remember explaining it to someone before and they gave me a wild spiel about girls at that age were susceptible to 'strange forces' and the fact they they were twins had it magnified. Obviously, I always thought it was a crock of superstitious ****e. But it's really hard to explain away that screwdriver photo. I can't come up with any logical reason!

There was another interesting experience in my family which I was told about when I was younger.

My great uncle always seemed a bit religious. He had catholic imagery all over the house. I always found it a bit over the top.

Turns out he went off to a conflict years ago, may have been the Lebanon, I can't quite remember.

Anyway, he was a very logical, scientific man. Had absolutely no time for religion or anything spiritual. Everything needed to be tangible and factual.

When he came back from his tour, all of a sudden, he was very religious. When questioned about what happened, he really didn't want to talk about it. Just refused to say anything. Whatever happened made him 'find God'.

Eventually we did get something out of him, and all he said was -

'I was on a transport boat, on the main deck, and I saw The Devil'.

Didn't elaborate beyond that. Never did. Perhaps he witnessed something truely horrific and it dramatically changed his mind about life, the universe and everything. Or maybe he did think he saw The Devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

My Nana used to live in our house. I grew up until the age of 12 with her living here and I shared a bedroom with her.
    Anyway, she died when I was 13 and I was left sleeping in the bedroom on my own. She used to Tuck the curtains in behind the radiator on a cold night because the rad is right under the window and i suppose it was her way of keeping the heat in. Anyway, on what was probably one of the first really cold nights after she died, I had the curtains tucked behind the rad, but un-tucked them to have a nosey out the window. I left them un-tucked while I went to the bathroom, probably to continue my nosey-ing when I got back and when I walked back into the room the curtains were tucked back behind the rad. I swear to god. I remember being really freaked out at the time!!

Also, for a good year after she died, I used to swear I could hear her breathing at night time. She was quite a heavy breather, and I used to find it quite comforting. I'll admit that that one could have been my imagination but I like to believe differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Niamho! wrote: »
    . I left them un-tucked while I went to the bathroom, probably to continue my nosey-ing when I got back and when I walked back into the room the curtains were tucked back behind the rad.

That's lovely . She didn't want you to catch a draft

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just trying to apply some logic to the screwdriver pic I posted.

Someone would have had to -
    • Gain access to the house
    • Find the key for the shed
    • Gone back out to the shed and opened the door
    • Found a screwdriver and some heavy object
    • Knock the screwdriver into the wood panel, in one strike, first attempt. No easy task. Whatever did it, definitely did it in one go as there were no other marks on the wood panel.
    • They also had to get it dead straight in one go. The screwdriver was solid. It's not like they knocked it in and then wiggled it straight. It's also so straight that it couldn't have accidentally fallen in somehow.
    • then lock the shed back up.
    • Put the keys back in the house.
    • Leave without it looking like they were ever there.

Without wanting to sound too sensationalist, it looks to me like someone threw it with great force like a dart :confused:

Really interesting story about the screwdriver o1s1n.

Curious to know more about the event, was the photo taken by you or your dad? Did you directly witness it yourself as in grab hold of the screwdriver etc? What age would you have been at the time and was your dad handy at woodworking? Wasn't a practical joke on his part maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Niamho! wrote: »
    . I left them un-tucked while I went to the bathroom, probably to continue my nosey-ing when I got back and when I walked back into the room the curtains were tucked back behind the rad.

That's lovely . She didn't want you to catch a draft

It's gas ... I ALWAYS tuck the curtains in behind the rad nowsince. A little quirky habit she left behind! haha

Things tend to happen that I have dreams about but only afterwards do I see the parallels.

Things tend to happen that I have dreams about but only afterwards do I see the parallels.

Any examples in particular?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Any examples in particular?
    I tend to forget them quickly, but seeing people in the supermarket and then on the way home feeling I foresaw I would see them there in a dream a previous night. That's what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I tend to forget them quickly, but seeing people in the supermarket and then on the way home feeling I foresaw I would see them there in a dream a previous night. That's what I mean.
    I get this quite a lot too. Always through dreams, usually a couple of weeks in advance.
    Sometimes if it's a bad thing happening, I'll have it as recurring dreams, weeks, or months in advance. I can never make out faces, I just know the people are there and a vague sense of my relationship with them.
    One particular instance, the most recurring one, was when I was around 10, and this one dream happened multiple times, always woke me. I was somewhere sandy, on a seesaw, with someone on the other side that I knew and was delighted to be there with, and someone suddenly appeared behind him, I got a sudden jolt and woke up.
    About 7/8 months after this started, I was at a beach with my family during the summer, and met one of my best friends from school. We went into the playground beside the beach, and we went on the seesaw. His sister came up behind him, grabbed his end of the seesaw, and lifted it fast. I got shot down, and I hit my face off the iron handle on the seesaw, busting my nose and spraying blood, and I realised straight away that it was the exact same as the dream!

Advertisement