Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strething and weight lifting verses endurance exercise

Options
  • 18-01-2014 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

What good does stretching do to overall health? Why would I need to be flexible? I just do tread-mill for endurance exercise. The objective is to get the blood flowing. If your overall goal is to be healthy and to live a longer life, then why would anyone need more muscle mass? Muscle mass that if anything only means the heart has to blood around a now bigger body! I presume the weights are pointless for overall health. I just do it for the same reason every other young male does.. to add a bit small of muscle mass. Some get carried away with it though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What good does stretching do to overall health? Why would I need to be flexible? I just do tread-mill for endurance exercise. The objective is to get the blood flowing. If your overall goal is to be healthy and to live a longer life, then why would anyone need more muscle mass? Muscle mass that if anything only means the heart has to blood around a now bigger body! I presume the weights are pointless for overall health. I just do it for the same reason every other young male does.. to add a bit small of muscle mass. Some get carried away with it though

What happens to your blood when you stop running on the treadmill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Good man. If you maintain that point of view your body won't thank you for it in your 30s / 40s etc.

Jaysus. What am I thinking? They're just utterly stupid questions. And answers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's great to know, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Like Dolphines Can Swim

accensi0n wrote: »
    What happens to your blood when you stop running on the treadmill?
    What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What do you mean?

It only starts flowing when you're on it right?

• Advertisement

If you maintain that point of view your body won't thank you for it in your 30s / 40s etc.
    Yes it will for the reasons stated

accensi0n wrote: »
    It only starts flowing when you're on it right?
    I still don't know what you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Yes it will for the reasons stated

I'm sorry. I haven't a clue what the fùck you're saying. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I just do a bit of endurance exercise to get my blood flowing when it has stagnated for a couple of days. The same as most people. Some get carried away with it though, like Forrest Gump, and all sorts of bad things happen. But at least his blood flowed a lot and constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Do you lie down for a while if you've been on the treadmill too long to slow down all this mad blood flow?

I'm sure there is NO other way the 5L of blood in your body would flow unless you were on a treadmill.
    Does your blood stop flowing when you're sleeping?

Resistance & Weight Training has been well researched at this stage and has many health benefits, not just aesthetic benefits.

Lifting causes the body to adapt to the stylus & promotes things like high bone density as extra calcium & phosphorus are drawn into out bones when we lift.
    If you have good bone density & fall as a pensioner, you probably won't break a hip, wrist etc.

Weight training boosts sertronin levels & is good for connective tissue like ligaments & tendons.

Your opinion as expressed above is wrong, archaic & quite frankly, ill-informed at best & moronic at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

What good does stretching do to overall health? Why would I need to be flexible?

You need to stretch to avoid injury. You need to be flexible to be able to do day to day tasks easily enough like getting up out of a chair, your bed, picking up stuff. As you get older this becomes more and more important.
    If your overall goal is to be healthy and to live a longer life, then why would anyone need more muscle mass?

If your a bit stronger you`ll find it easier to go up and down stairs, get out of your chair, change the tyre on your car etc etc. And you`ll just get weaker and weaker as you get older so you have to fight that by training for strength :pac:
    Stretching and weight lifting verses endurance exercise

Do a mix of all the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

you need cardio to catch the goats that run across your bridge, but you need strength and muscle mass to carry them into your den and eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

to get my blood flowing when it has stagnated for a couple of days. The same as most people.

Where and when does your blood stagnate? It has a pump (your heart) - to keep the blood flowing throughout the body, exercising or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

whitewave wrote: »
    Where and when does your blood stagnate? It has a pump (your heart) - to keep the blood flowing throughout the body, exercising or not.

He was being sarcastic.

He was being sarcastic.
    Don't I know. I'm all too familiar with uncalled-for sarcasm

Don't I know. I'm all too familiar with uncalled-for sarcasm

Do you know?
    Are you familiar with uncalled-for sarcasm?
    You don't seem confident.

Is the stress of life getting you down? Are you finding it hard to get up in the mornings? Is all that trip-trapping on your bridge making you lose sleep?

sawfish wrote: »
    You need to stretch to avoid injury. You need to be flexible to be able to do day to day tasks easily enough like getting up out of a chair, your bed, picking up stuff. As you get older this becomes more and more important.

If your a bit stronger you`ll find it easier to go up and down stairs, get out of your chair, change the tyre on your car etc etc. And you`ll just get weaker and weaker as you get older so you have to fight
    Ah well in that case I won't start weight lifting until I'm in my late 30s. In the meantime: what's the point in giving all that time to it, just so you'll find it 0.1% easier to get out of a chair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ah well in that case I won't start weight lifting until I'm in my late 30s. In the meantime: what's the point in giving all that time to it, just so you'll find it 0.1% easier to get out of a chair!

If you don't want to lift then don't.

What if you don't make it to your late 30's?
    What if the goats get you first. I hear they travel in packs of threes now. The first two are pretty easy to get, but the 3rd one is a mean mutha!

Do you know?
    Are you familiar with uncalled-for sarcasm?
    You don't seem confident.

Is the stress of life getting you down? Are you finding it hard to get up in the mornings? Is all that trip-trapping on your bridge making you lose sleep?
    Stop trying to be funny.. you're not good at it. At least try to refer to something relevant!

• Advertisement

Stop trying to be funny.. you're not good at it. At least try to refer to something relevant!

ditto

If you don't want to lift then don't.

It's not a question of want, but a question of need!

ditto
    It amuses me how people are so hell bent on trying to be pests. Cretins!!!

The irony is so thick I can taste it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Can we stop the back and forth nonsense please, or I'll lock the thread.

Also, there is no spam here as far as I can see,

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement