Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Names don't have to make sense - I have a Swanson because .. I don't remember and a Henry because he comes from Kilkenny and is a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

reallyrose wrote: »
    Names don't have to make sense - I have a Swanson because .. I don't remember and a Henry because he comes from Kilkenny and is a cat.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I thought he was named after Joe Swanson?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Ok, if this works, I will be seriously impressed

23kx43p.jpg

EDIT: anniehoo - your post in Newbies thread was incredibly helpful, thank you. Done it, sorry to all here for all the messing trying to do it. Got there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Awwwwwwwwwww!

His facial colouring make it look like he's crying :D He looks like a Titch to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Ok, if this works, I will be seriously impressed

Jxnk740

http://imgur.com/Jxnk740

EDIT: ok can't get image to embed, but either way, you have a link. Jeez it is a long, long time since I posted any images here.

Wow, that is one cute kitty!!! It's not quite nerdverse but for some reason he made me think of Rasco from the rats of Nimh books so that's my suggestion!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

A little mischievous Barnaby perhaps.....:-)

The light in sitting room not great for taking photos. He is a bit of a motley coloured kitten, the few marking on his face make it look as if it's dirty.

I was trying to think of a name of a male from nerdverse that is lazy, with a dirty face :eek:

Feck, I'd forgotten you're mentioned nerdverse. Ogg? From Discworld.
    Linux? Atari? Nibbler? :D

I always name the cattle so I have used up all my pet names many years ago.

Kovu wrote: »
    Feck, I'd forgotten you're mentioned nerdverse. Ogg? From Discworld.
    Linux? Atari? Nibbler? :D

I always name the cattle so I have used up all my pet names many years ago.

I was thinking Remy from Ratatouille, or Baloo from Jungle Book.... Cartoons class as Nerdverse, don't they????

Although Nibbler would work, as last kitten was named Leela from Futurama also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Mal or Malcolm, Jayne, Hoban, Wash all characters in Firefly/Serenity

Roy or Rick from Bladerunner.

As he is the Mog with no Name, how about Clint (Eastwood)?

Nibbler is a good name, wait until he's a big butch tom though and he mightn't thank you! (This from a woman who named her cat Squeak, ok I was 7 at the time but he turned into a hulking great beast more reminiscent of Greebo.)

• Advertisement

Nibbler is a good name, wait until he's a big butch tom though and he mightn't thank you! (This from a woman who named her cat Squeak, ok I was 7 at the time but he turned into a hulking great beast more reminiscent of Greebo.)

I have a cat named Squeak :pac::D
    But it does suit her as she's about half the size of Kovu and has a teensy miaow and also never shuts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Now I have an urge to watch serenity again... Only that I know I'll have to stop before that scene....

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

OH was looking over my shoulder and said "What a gorgeous kitten" :)

How about Odin or Loki?

We have Foxy and Charlie... Charlie was almost a Harry or a Morrie

OH was looking over my shoulder and said "What a gorgeous kitten" :)

How about Odin or Loki?

We have Foxy and Charlie... Charlie was almost a Harry or a Morrie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

TG1 wrote: »
    Now I have an urge to watch serenity again... Only that I know I'll have to stop before that scene....

Oh God! yes that scene gets me right in the feels every time.:(

on_my_oe wrote:
    How about Odin or Loki?

Already called two previously fostered kittens Thor and Loki.

And I really can't call kitten Odin, who is the Norse God for wisdom and poetry. The kitten attacks his reflection in the bin and falls over his own feet, ;) The God of irony, whoever that is, would hit me with a lightning bolt.

Gah, can't understand why naming this kitten is so hard, usually the names are pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Already called two previously fostered kittens Thor and Loki.

And I really can't call kitten Odin, who is the Norse God for wisdom and poetry. The kitten attacks his reflection in the bin and falls over his own feet, ;) The God of irony, whoever that is, would hit me with a lightning bolt.

Gah, can't understand why naming this kitten is so hard, usually the names are pretty obvious.

Pug of Crydee, an orphan waif destined for great things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Daughter just finished last of her mocks today, had to make her celebration chocolate fondants!
    Good thing they cook quick, they smell amazing!

The dog before us at hydro - another retriever who was paralysed from meningitis! :( I didn't even know dogs could get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    The dog before us at hydro - another retriever who was paralysed from meningitis! :( I didn't even know dogs could get it!

Poor thing :( unfortunately it's more common than people think, and a lot of the time it's caused by a severe ear infection left to run rampant :(

• Advertisement

The kitten attacks his reflection in the bin and falls over his own feet, ;)

Jackson (as in Michael Jackson.. Man in the Mirror, and Diirrty Diana)?

I once had a dog called Higgins, named after the butler in Magnum PI, and a cat called Wicket (as in the ewok, not the game). Ive got awful taste in names... Wisely we don't have children.

Poor thing :( unfortunately it's more common than people think, and a lot of the time it's caused by a severe ear infection left to run rampant :(

God I never knew that! :eek:

Apparently it's the third time he's had it and taking longer to come back from it this time :(

I can hear Kovu snoring in the attic above me. :pac: Think he needs to go on a diet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

mymo wrote: »
    Daughter just finished last of her mocks today, had to make her celebration chocolate fondants!
    Good thing they cook quick, they smell amazing!

Recipe???
    Photo of finished product - if not already eaten?!?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sorry way to late, they are amazing, Google Gordon Ramsey chocolate fondants, his has turned out best so far, chill 24 hrs before cooking for best result, but an hour is fine.

Bailey gave me a fright earlier. We were in the park having coffee as normal, as we went to leave the market area he was transfixed by something but I didn't know what - had to call him and tug on the lead a few times to get him to come with us.. Anyways he got excited further on and wanted to run around with Lucy and Rebel so I let him off - I've been gradually increasing his off lead time and all good... he did a few rounds of zoomies and sped off back to the market, called and tried the whistle as I was running after him while trying not to draw attention to myself and my now out of control dog but he kept running in the direction of the cake stall :eek::eek::eek: I'd visions of him robbing something/knocking a display or the whole thing down but he stopped just before it - somebody had spilled hot chocolate and he was lapping it up much to a crowd of onlookers amusement!! I pointed out a marshmallow he'd missed and led him away!... I partially blame my friend because she couldn't finish her tea and gave it to him a few mins before so gave him a taste for it. :pac: So much for my training him to settle when we're out at a market etc progress - yet again he's rewarded for begging by her! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I woke up one morning to find himself curled up on the end of my bed fast asleep and he's been there every night since. I'm delighted that when he's old now he can sleep somewhere soft and comfy instead of a piece of vet bed on the floor. I'm thinking about getting him a mattress type bed for downstairs now as he still has no interest in the couch other than trying to bury food down the back of it.

Well found out today why I couldn't decide on a name for kitten. The name is always in some way associated with the kitten's character.

This kitten sleeps 23 hours a day. Initially we thought it was because he was riddled with worms, exhaustion from being in wild etc.

2 1/2 weeks later still sleeping so rang cat coordinator and agreed kitten should go to vet.

There is some neurological condition with him. Balance, strength of front legs, are all slightly off.

As of moment no idea how much he can progress. A special needs kitten at the moment.

Generally he is happy, always purring. Loves company. Sleeps under our bed as can't get on it. He is a beautiful little thing, hopefully he will survive and thrive.

So back to drawing board again on a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Rip or Winkle?!? (as in Rip van Winkle - slept a lot?!?)
    Dozy?
    (we had a HAIRY and a FATTY when we were young - couldnt come up with names for ages, so the nicknames just stuck!!)

Poor little chap - at least he is in a safe loving environment. EXTRA brownie points for taking in a little 'special needs' cat. Keep us posted?

• Advertisement

LivingSocial.com have a pretty cool voucher at the minute- €12 for a €20 voucher to spend on pet products at Maxi Zoo :)

Link is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement