Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Steyr arms drill for the DF?

Options
  • 03-03-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

So, anyone seen it yet? I hear that the Cadets will be putting on a show at the Easter Rising Parade, and it gets rolled out elsewhere in July (lucky ducks us all).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Hmmm,

I havent heard anything about it recently. I know that about 6 years ago about 50 of us were used as a "models" for the "new arms drill".

It was basically the old FN drills just replaced with the Steyr. It worked well enough but still wasn't right. The NCO's of the groups had to wear a coloured sash too.

Was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

benwavner wrote: »
    Hmmm,

I havent heard anything about it recently. I know that about 6 years ago about 50 of us were used as a "models" for the "new arms drill".

It was basically the old FN drills just replaced with the Steyr. It worked well enough but still wasn't right. The NCO's of the groups had to wear a coloured sash too.

Was weird.

It sounds like it, all right. Something like the Lee-Enfield drill might work in some respects (I did a summer of it, many years ago).

jebus,

If it is what I did, then it has been very, very slow to be introduced. I think the sling posed some problems. There was a pain in the arse way we had to have it so the drill would work.

Its been that long ago, I cannot remember the specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

jebus,

If it is what I did, then it has been very, very slow to be introduced. I think the sling posed some problems. There was a pain in the arse way we had to have it so the drill would work.

Its been that long ago, I cannot remember the specifics.

Go to irishmilitaryonline.ie there's a thread about it. Good bit of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

It's coming. It can't be escaped.

It also means the new sights should be coming soon, which is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Hmmm,

Was weird.

it was also when i was first issued a peaker to wear with the NO.1's instead of the baret. :mad:

i really hate those things.

thermo wrote: »
    it was also when i was first issued a peaker to wear with the NO.1's instead of the baret. :mad:

i really hate those things.

Yep, I forgot about that. There was also a coloured band around the peeker, just below the capbadge. I think there is a pic of me and my group somewhere at home. Il take a look.

I had to go back to my unit and teach the other NCO's the drill.....powerpoint demo's, etc etc.

Feck,I cant believe ithas taken sooooo long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

shame we didn't keep a few Lee Enfield's for ceremonial use

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

• Advertisement

I'm not in the Army, but I think the peakers look very well.

Peaked caps and decent arms drill with bayonet attached will look ten times better and more impressive to the average on looking eye on a parade than having the rifle hanging from the neck like a handbag and berets on with SD No.1's.

It just looks all that bit more impressive and military-like. Peakers and decent arms drill makes soldiers just look sharper and smarter on parade. I always admired units like the Rifles Regiment and most infantry regiments in the British Army that wear peaked caps in dress uniform. Beret's with SD No.1s would work only for the fact that everyone's beret is in some way a little different to the guy or girl next to them, and some people seam to be still incapable of moulding berets too (more so in the RDF than the PDF, but still in both). They always stand out in SD No.1s. Peakers bring more uniformity to the parade. That's what I think anyway.

Is the RDF to get peakers with SD No.1s too or is it just for the Army does anyone know?

Is the RDF to get peakers with SD No.1s too or is it just for the Army does anyone know?

See, if you actually were in the Army, you'd know the answer to this one is "never".

Maoltuile wrote: »
    See, if you actually were in the Army, you'd know the answer to this one is "never".

Thats why I asked, because I'm not in the Army.

Thats why I asked, because I'm not in the Army.

Yeah, I desperately need to figure out how to do smilies on Boards.

Maoltuile wrote: »
    Yeah, I desperately need to figure out how to do smilies on Boards.

Hahaha. Sorry. I understand. You weren't trying to be a smart ass about it. My bad.

Smiles are : combined with ) ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

the RDF doesnt want peakers... we want a decision made about our future!!!

Advertisement