Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance for a First Timer

• 18-04-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Im 18, male, student, living in Tipperary with a Full Irish Licence, only got it one month ago but I do have 1 years driving experience done as a named driver. I have no penalty points or claims.

Im looking into getting an Audi A3 1.9tdi and I have gotten online quotes from the likes of Liberty, FBD, Chill.ie, 123.ie etc but the cheapest I've got back was €2800 (third party).

Can anyone recommend any insurance companies/brokers that are reasonably cheap for someone starting out their own insurance policy for the first time?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its a 1.9 and you are 18, tbh you are going to be very hard pressed to get anything cheaper than €2800.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Its a 1.9 and you are 18, tbh you are going to be very hard pressed to get anything cheaper than €2800.

I was considering a smaller engine but I need a diesel and a strong reliable car from July onwards so that was the best choice. I have a deposit put on one at the moment and I have until around Tuesday to get the cheapest quote possible if I still want the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

Im 18, male, student, living in Tipperary with a Full Irish Licence, only got it one month ago but I do have 1 years driving experience done as a named driver. I have no penalty points or claims.

Im looking into getting an Audi A3 1.9tdi and I have gotten online quotes from the likes of Liberty, FBD, Chill.ie, 123.ie etc but the cheapest I've got back was €2800 (third party).

Can anyone recommend any insurance companies/brokers that are reasonably cheap for someone starting out their own insurance policy for the first time?

Thanks

Try first Ireland Mate
    I was 19 with provisional licence and got insured on my jap 1.3 gi starlet 1991 for 2600
    Fair enough considering it was a 91 jap import on Lerner permit

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lowfat bricks

doubt you will get anything cheaper on a 1.9, drop down to a 1.4 and that should half your insurance, and use that money on a newer car

doubt you will get anything cheaper on a 1.9, drop down to a 1.4 and that should half your insurance, and use that money on a newer car

Unfortunately its out of my budget by €1500 (car + insurance) but it was certainly considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chrissy_W

I am one year older than you, female and pay a similar amount on an Audi A1 1.2. Down almost €1000 from a Ford Galaxy diesel, thankfully, but in the name of a lot of luggage space.

Sadly "cheap" insurance quotes don't exist for the likes of you and I! Maybe one day...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Brasso

Try First Ireland, Britton, Coverinaclick.ie. and the AA. I've gotten reasonable quotes from all of them at some stage in the past. Try ringing too, will get you a better deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Unfortunately its out of my budget by €1500 (car + insurance) but it was certainly considered.

Unless the car is quite new. You will be paying a fortune in motor tax on a 1.9. It might save to get a small car

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

Student and paying €8euros a day for Insurance even if you could get the money doesnt look logical .

I got too many friends with all sorts of Audis with big bills because with the recession they held onto them longer and got big expensive bills to repair things. Electrical issues sub computer units were interesting expensive and the quatros were eye watering numbers .

Unless your driving on dirt roads with big pot holes the expression strong car is interesting turn of speech

I got friend who got his petrol 1200cc Renault Clio to 450,000 miles. The whole family used the car for everything and that was also on dirt track roads .
    They contacted Renault to ask was this record and were told no but it was starting to become in the field where some exceeded ~500,000 miles.

Whenever I have choice for car I always prefer small 1000cc and if possible diesel preferably less than 1200cc in petrol and 1300cc in diesel .
    I can buy lots more of fuel to drive further from saving on road tax replacement parts and often cheaper costs to run .

These modern small cars from 2000 onwards are strong enough for normal road use but dont crash them .

Jed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You shouldn't have put a deposit on a car before finding out if you could afford to insure it.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You shouldn't have put a deposit on a car before finding out if you could afford to insure it.

I am able to afford the insurance, just seeing can I get it cheaper elsewhere. €2800 is an afwul amount to pay but I am willing to for this car tbh :)

chrissy_W wrote: »
    I am one year older than you, female and pay a similar amount on an Audi A1 1.2. Down almost €1000 from a Ford Galaxy diesel, thankfully, but in the name of a lot of luggage space.

Sadly "cheap" insurance quotes don't exist for the likes of you and I! Maybe one day...

Maybe one day!!

Just getting quotes with Liberty, its cheaper for me to get insured on a Vw Passat (exact same engine and value) than on the Audi A3.. Struggling to find sense in this as the Vw is a much bigger car :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chrissy_W

Maybe one day!!

Just getting quotes with Liberty, its cheaper for me to get insured on a Vw Passat (exact same engine and value) than on the Audi A3.. Struggling to find sense in this as the Vw is a much bigger car :confused:

I would presume that is because of the badge...

chrissy_W wrote: »
    I would presume that is because of the badge...

More than likely.. Just realised that the Passat is 130bhp and the A3 is only 100bhp.. And yet the Audi is still coming back at more.. I think a change in mind in car may be needed if I dont get a better price!

Brasso wrote: »
    Try First Ireland, Britton, Coverinaclick.ie. and the AA. I've gotten reasonable quotes from all of them at some stage in the past. Try ringing too, will get you a better deal.

Thanks man. For some reason I couldnt retrieve a quote from First Ireland or Britton (same layout when applying for a quote, ironically) but I do have them emailed regarding it.

Have my application sent in to Coverinaclick.ie no problem

And I got a quote from AA. Tad bit more then what I got from Liberty but Im sure if I call the two up on monday then I may get a good price.

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

good luck for quotes keep trying
    Hard to beat the VW Passat often cheap on parts

Jed

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Brasso

good luck for quotes keep trying
    Hard to beat the VW Passat often cheap on parts

Jed

Yeah nice car, very roomy too. OP you could also try the A6, based on the same platform as the Passat I think. The bigger cars tend to be family vehicles or older drivers and are involved in less crashes so insurance companies see them as lower risk.

Advertisement