Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 videos

I believe the new panasonics are all mpeg 4 and mheg 5? i was in my local did last week, and they have the new plasma models, C3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

videos wrote: »
    I believe the new panasonics are all mpeg 4 and mheg 5? i was in my local did last week, and they have the new plasma models, C3?

I'd avoid Panasonic TV's myself ....loads of threads here on how TV that should technically work here are incompatible. As Panasonic have never officially supported Saorview they refuse to fix any issues claiming the TV's are designed for UK use only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Then they shouldn't be sold here in the republic period. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This isn't France.

Are you referring to Pixmania's products which have French televisions Watty? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

FREETV wrote: »
    Are you referring to Pixmania's products which have French televisions Watty? :)

I believe Watty is referring that the French have banned the sale of all non-compliant TV's and STB's. TV's and STB's sold there have to do TNT-HD

Ah, I get you now, hadn't read the start of the thread since the day before and had forgotten about that. On another note, Pix promised to get certified stock in which is compliant here around the time of the launch of Saorview when I spoke to someone high up about this before the Christmas. :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Early Panasonic sets sold in the Republic Of Despair ( previously called Ireland ) will have a Saorview sticker placed on he box supposedly for a cost thing.
    Theses have an MHEG5 chip for use with Saorview.
    The subsequent releases will have the sticker on the set.

Sol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Panasonics are a pain in the hole, in their case I would expect them to Saorview certify the set twice before I believed it worked. :(

akaSol wrote: »
    Early Panasonic sets sold in the Republic Of Despair ( previously called Ireland ) will have a Saorview sticker placed on he box supposedly for a cost thing.
    Theses have an MHEG5 chip for use with Saorview.
    The subsequent releases will have the sticker on the set.

Sol

MHEG5 needs no "chip". Any TV or set box with a half sane CPU/RAM/Flash configuration (i.e. GUI isn't like treacle) can run the MHEG5 engine. It's just software like Java Virtual Machine on PC or Davik Java Machine on Android. All Panasonic Freeview Models have always had MHEG5. The differences to be compliant for Panasonic in Ireland compared to UK on any Panasonic with MPEG4 HW or "Freeview HD" is minor.

Will they fix up the minor bugs they refuse to fix on existing quite recent sets that have all the Hardware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

I bought this TV 18 months ago.
    Picks up all the digital channels but no teletext on RTE2HD.Picks up old teletext on RTE1 and TV.
    Also does not display EPG even though guide button on RC.
    Can this TV be updated with new software or did I buy a tv that is not fully compatable with Saorview.
    On TV setup no opportunity to select Ireland.

I bought this TV 18 months ago.
    Picks up all the digital channels but no teletext on RTE2HD.Picks up old teletext on RTE1 and TV.
    Also does not display EPG even though guide button on RC.
    Can this TV be updated with new software or did I buy a tv that is not fully compatable with Saorview.
    On TV setup no opportunity to select Ireland.

Have you set the country to UK? This should enable the MHEG-5 text.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hawkeyes

Does anyone know if this TV (Philips 37PFL5603) can pick up Saorview ? I'd test it out but i don't have an aerial at the moment.

Karsini wrote: »
    Have you set the country to UK? This should enable the MHEG-5 text.
    Have done but no change.
    Have tried to reset tv to factory default but cannot do so.
    Also not getting a country setup only a language setup.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Have done but no change.
    Have tried to reset tv to factory default but cannot do so.
    Also not getting a country setup only a language setup.

Johnny,

(declared interest here - I sell Philips TV's)

Could you get me the complete model number and I'll check that out for you - I don' remember a 5404 model (but there are loads of model number pretty close to that! :confused:)

Keep me posted & we will do our best to checK it out for you,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Johnny,

Could you get me the complete model number and I'll check that out for you - I don' remember a 5404 model (but there are loads of model number pretty close to that! :confused:)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the response.
    The Philips P/N is 32pfl5404/12
    It is a HD Ready LCD
    Your help would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks for the response.
    It is a HD Ready LCD

You are missing a H at the end. Only the H range have MPEG4 DVB-T from recollection.

STB wrote: »
    You are missing a H at the end. Only the H range have MPEG4 DVB-T from recollection.
    You are right.
    Went up to attic to get packing carton and correct number is
    32pfl5404H/12

Thanks for the response.
    The Philips P/N is 32pfl5404H/12
    It is a HD Ready LCD
    Your help would be appreciated.

Johnny,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks for the response.
    Full Philips p/no is
    32pfl5404H/12

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response.
    It is a HD Ready LCD

Johnny,

apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Yep, I have checked and the 32PFL5404H/12 is MPEG 4

Here is a link to the product sheet:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

As the Earlier posted said the model should have a 'H' designation in the model number and I'm pretty sure there were no non H variants of the 5404 so it really should be MPEG4 - as the Earlier posted said - set it to UK as your Country (see page 34 of the manual - http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_dfu_eng.pdf ) and you should be sorted - if you need any other assistance just PM me your number & I'll get Ashley or one of the Boffins from The Philips Shop to give you a ring to get you sorted.

Apologies again for the delay and keep me posted if we can ever assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

The non-H may be analogue only tuner?

Johnny,

apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Yep, I have checked and the 32PFL5404H/12 is MPEG 4

Here is a link to the product sheet:

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

As the Earlier posted said the model should have a 'H' designation in the model number and I'm pretty sure there were no non H variants of the 5404 so it really should be MPEG4 - as the Earlier posted said - set it to UK as your Country (see page 34 of the manual - http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_dfu_eng.pdf ) and you should be sorted - if you need any other assistance just PM me your number & I'll get Ashley or one of the Boffins from The Philips Shop to give you a ring to get you sorted.

Apologies again for the delay and keep me posted if we can ever assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Followed your instructions and now everything perfect.
    7 day EPG working,now and next working and new digital text on RTE.
    Thanks for your help in solving my problem.
    Also thanks to everyone else for the input.

watty wrote: »
    The non-H may be analogue only tuner?

Watty,

Hope you are well- thanks for that - luckily the op is sorted - there in no non digital version of that TV - the earlier version was mpeg2 only but the '404 series are mpeg4 / MHEG5.

Well, Mpeg2 is effectively Analogue only here :)

I did find one Philips Model that had no mention even of MPEG2 or Freeview. NTSC/PAL-I/Secam with All band Tuner.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=ru&ctn=32PFL5404/12

Likely for Irish market, so may have MPEG2 but wisely not mention Digital on the page?

Hopefully by this Christmas most of the UK chains will have only "Freeview HD" stuff and the obsolescent MPEG2 only gear will be history.

Well, Mpeg2 is effectively Analogue only here :)

No, to be fair - MPEG 2 is a digital tuner that no longer works in the ROI
    I did find one Philips Model that had no mention even of MPEG2 or Freeview. NTSC/PAL-I/Secam with All band Tuner.
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=ru&ctn=32PFL5404/12

Likely for Irish market....

This Model was never imported into the Irish (or UK) Market by Philips as far as I can see - In Ireland the 'H' model only was sold by Philips Ireland
    Hopefully by this Christmas most of the UK chains will have only "Freeview HD" stuff and the obsolescent MPEG2 only gear will be history.

Agree 100% - as you are aware in RS we are pretty careful about what TV we will send into the ROI and we check with every order for the ROI prior to despatch that the unit is MPEG4 or if it's not, and the Customer still insists on ordering it we seek a disclaimer from the Customer (ie certain Pana models).

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

No, to be fair - MPEG 2 is a digital tuner that no longer works in the ROI
    There never ever was a Public Service with MPEG2. Only Closed trial or Engineering testing. Spec was MPEG4 only officially since Feb 2008 and it was clear this was likely even before the DCENR/BT closed trail of 2006-2008 (MPEG4 boxes) even though most (but not all) SD was MPEG2. All HD on that closed Trial was MPEG4.

See http://www.saortv.info/about/nordig/ for more
    This Model was never imported into the Irish (or UK) Market by Philips as far as I can see - In Ireland the 'H' model only was sold by Philips Ireland
    Maybe for Africa or some other place with PAL-I

Since March 2008 all Sets in Ireland claiming to be digital without MHEG-5, MPEG4 and HD should have had a Sticker affixed: This TV set is for Analogue only in Ireland, the Digital features are not compatible with planned Irish Services.

Originally posted in 2008 and later updated by Government
    Information to Retailers

Retailers are requested to ensure that all iDTV’s for sale in Ireland will be compatible with the Irish DTT network, when it launches. Retailers are also requested to provide information to their customers on DTT.

In addition, retailers are urged to ensure that a sufficient rane of receivers (including set top boxes, integrated digital televisions and personal video recorders) specified for use on the Irish DTT network are available to consumers for the launch of DTT services in Ireland.

The RTE free to air DTT services will use an MPEG 4 compression standard and MHEG 5 (V6) middleware MPEG 4 is different to the MPEG 2 compression standard used in the UK. Retailers should note that televisions with MPEG 2 tuners only, will not pick up the Irish DTT service, when it develops.

A free-to-air Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) service providing access to the existing national TV channels and some new Irish TV channels is due to be launched in Ireland in October 2010. This service will be provided by RTÉ using a network built by RTÉNL.

The free to air DTT service will be provided by RTÉ. There are engineering tests taking place currently on the 13 main transmitter sites in preparation for service launch. These engineering tests carrying RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 are operating using the MPEG4 specifications. More details are available from RTÉ Networks Ltd http://www.rtenl.ie/.
    Via DCENR Website

There never ever was a Public Service with MPEG2. Only Closed trial or Engineering testing. Spec was MPEG4 only officially since Feb 2008 and it was clear this was likely even before the DCENR/BT closed trail of 2006-2008 (MPEG4 boxes) even though most (but not all) SD was MPEG2. All HD on that closed Trial was MPEG4.

Since March 2008 all Sets in Ireland claiming to be digital without MHEG-5, MPEG4 and HD should have had a Sticker affixed: This TV set is for Analogue only in Ireland, the Digital features are not compatible with planned Irish Services.

Via DCENR Website

Watty,

I really don't want to get into an extended series of posts - I only occasionally post outside our own forum so as to avoid any possible conflict of interest issues as we are a Commercial entity - however we just posted here initially in an effort to assist a Boardie and thankfully he is now sorted.

However, as I think you are aware The Philips Shop and Richer Sounds Ireland (even though Richer Sounds Ireland is a UK based retailer) have really been careful to ensure that we offer Customers advice and guidance on what TV is suitable for their purposes and I feel that your previous post suggest that WE are not correctly labelling TV's (Maybe I'm just being sensitive, and I hope I'm wrong) But in The Philips Shop we have specifically labelled which TV's have MPEG4/MHEG5 for over two years, we have never subscribed to the 'Digital' labelling, and we do not leave any TV packaging on display which would allow Customers to misconstrue any 'Digital' claims.

In Richer Sounds, we check every order from the ROI to ensure that the TV will be compliant with the new digital service and again if it is not we won't ship it unless the Customer specifically advises us that they want that particular TV (for whatever reason!), as our main sales are into the UK & Northern Ireland, we feel that this is the best way that we can ensure our ROI Customers are assured that they get a TV suited to their needs. I would hate to be associated with other retailers who are accussed on this and other forum of dumping old unsuitable TV into the ROI - in our case, this is not the case and never has been the case - we don't operate like this.

On the issue of what sticker, or not, we should display - as you are aware this is (unfortunately) not mandatory, and, I have posted this before, but still as of 28th March 2011, as a retailer with 2 shops in Ireland - I have not had a single piece of paper or notification from the dept of comms or RTE regarding the new service - I also see various posters saying the CEDA is the trade body for retailers and distributors - this is not actually factual - it's merely the Distributors Body (Consumer Electronics Distributors Association, (CEDA)) and whilst I'm not a member of ANY trade association, I understand that Ceda's remit does not extend to retailers - so both historically and presently, independent retailers have been left to derive the information either from the press, trade partnerships or worse still, manufacturers - it cannot be beyond the ability of the Government to get a database of AV retailers and mail them a factual document including advice & display guidelines - if this was done months ago retailers could have been forced, or at least could not claim ignorance of the looming ASO/DSO and this would have assisted the Consumer greatly.

Again please feel free to PM or give me a call if you feel that we are out of line or if we are not acting correctly - I honestly feel that we have, and will continue to, make every effort to offer good advice and we are not in the business of misleading Customers - that's just not good business.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

We have only surveyed Limerick shops

Sorry if I gave ANY wrong impression about Richer Sounds. I was only making a general point

Our student person's blog:
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/Reynard/retail-aso-part1

DCENR put their instuctions to Retailers on a Website in 2008 but didn't tell anyone :(
    Hardly very clear instructions either.
    we have never subscribed to the 'Digital' labelling, and we do not leave any TV packaging on display which would allow Customers to misconstrue any 'Digital' claims.
    Excellent stuff.

I wish that many well known National/UK/International Chains in Limierick and rest of Ireland followed your example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Via DCENR Website

I'd put blame on the government body who deals with DTT not the retailers. There has never been anything officially released to every household to explain what to or not to buy. Yes, there are pages on the net that explains but there should be official leaflets to every tv licence paying household.

Not everyone is technically savvy.

Advertisement