Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Movie Going Ahead Without Whedon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/11/22/warner-bros-plans-buffy-reboot/

Today, Warner Bros. announced plans to remake 1992′s Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which gave birth to the much-loved Sarah Michelle Gellar-headed TV series.
    While details are sparse, filmmakers claim the movie would not revisit the vampire slayer’s high school days, attempting instead to capture the “witty, tough, and sexy” heroine in a new way. The team behind the project includes Dark Knight producer Charles Roven and relative newcomer Whit Anderson. The movie could hit theaters in 2012 or late 2011, according to the L.A. Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Whedon's taken it with his usual humour.
    This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

More.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

How can they remake something which was already perfect to begin with. Ok the series had its ups and downs but they got the core elements right, gellar was perfect as buffy, hannigan was perfect as willow, I can't imagine anyone better in the role of Spike as Marsters, Antony Stewart Head was perfectly suited to the role of Giles. Remaking it into a movie is pointless as the show ended only 7 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They're remaking the original movie the series was a remake of.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Raphael wrote: »
    They're remaking the original movie the series was a remake of.

They're remaking the original movie the series was a *continuation* of. Although even then the series is more true to the original script than the movie. In the movie she never actually set the gym on fire, or at least we didn't see it, but it was in the script.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Point. I just try so hard to forget that movie ever happened that I get mixed up sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I never understand why people fear remakes as if they somehow harm the original. If anything a failed remake highlights how good the original was.

If Joss had plans to return to live action Buffy someday then we'd have the right to be peeved with someone messing with the series, but I don't think he does. He seems quite content with Buffy continuing on officially as a comic. Would it even be possible to return to Buffy again? After all not everybody reads comics and it'd alienate a lot of fans if was brought back and a) followed on from the comics meaning those of us who dont read comics will be out of the loop or b) disregarded the comics after telling readers that they were the official canon.

So I find no reason to be anything other than interested in what direction they take this, the premise alone (kick ass sexy vampire slayer) is enough for me to buy a ticket to see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

robby^5 wrote: »
    So I find no reason to be anything other than interested in what direction they take this, the premise alone (kick ass sexy vampire slayer) is enough for me to buy a ticket to see it.

... my interest would be similiar, expect she would need to target a nest of vampire up in Washington State, lead by a certain Edward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Latest goss on this:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a292699/glee-star-wont-play-the-new-buffy.html

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/23/joss-whedon-buffy/

In regards to Heather Morris, I have caught her on Glee a few times and she does have that kind of sassy/sarcastic/dry wit personality that SMG had playing Buffy. They could do a lot worse than her (Vanessa Hudgens, Megan Fox etc etc).

As for Joss's statement, I see where he's coming from but perhaps he should hold fire. I mean he is making a film about The Avengers, which is someone else's baby. Yeah, he maintains his idea for the film is original, but who is to say that Whit's idea for a Buffy reboot won't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    As for Joss's statement, I see where he's coming from but perhaps he should hold fire. I mean he is making a film about The Avengers, which is someone else's baby. Yeah, he maintains his idea for the film is original, but who is to say that Whit's idea for a Buffy reboot won't be?
    Hone on earth can you read the claim that he is working on, "my Avengers idea that I made up myself" and think he's being completely serious? Methinks you need a new one of these:
    sarcasm_detector.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

:eek:

While in Nashville this past week, we had a chance to meet up with an associate of Dolly Parton's Sandollar Production Company, which recently sold the Buffy the Vampire Slayer rights to Warner Bros. for a big screen reboot. The source claims that Glee's Heather Morris has been brought up many times in regards to who will follow in Kristy Swanson and Sarah Michelle Gellar's footsteps. And now we are hearing that the actress is actively being sought to take on this highly coveted role.

While not much is known about this continuation of the franchise, we have learned that the tone will be more in step with the WB series that ran from 1997 to 2003, than it will the original 1992 feature film. The hope is to incorporate a neo-Valley Girl tone that will find this version of the character more in-line with her original Kristy Swanson incarnation, while at the same time presenting a fresh and hip take on the character for today's more sauve audiences.

The source indicates that Heather Morris's comedic timing is a perfect fit for Buffy Summers, and that her background as a dancer and a gymnast will be greatly utilized in the skill set that Buffy is supposed to have as a Slayer. In this new reboot, Buffy will no longer be in high school, but instead facing the same hardships that a lot of young college graduates have today in struggling to find a paying job and a healthy relationship. Though she plays a teenager on Glee, the 23 year-old-actress is actually the right age for this newly rebooted take on the character.

Before appearing on Glee, Morris portrayed a cheerleader in Fired Up and served as a back-up dancer for Beyoncé Knowles from 2007 to 2008 during the singer's Single Ladies tour. Right now, Heather's participation in Buffy the Vampire Slayer should only be considered a rumor.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEoQhvXpw6FDsp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

neo Valley Girl?! WTF?! Buffy was cool because she was an outcast, not a popularity magnet, and updated for todays audiences? the late 90s were way cooler, it doesn't need to be updated, now its probably going to have kayne west music in it with stupid fb apps being shown on iphones. Original series ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Jaysus.....even though this will be a disaster...I'm sure it'll be a financial success.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It can't be as bad as the original can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Is there seriously no new ideas in the world?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

how about a brooding vampire called damienus from mayo?

They're just desperate to jump on the vampire bandwagon.

At least buffy's main goal wasn't to give up her life for the first guy that comes along that she likes the look of and had no other ambitions..... (god I hate Twlight so much, a generation of teens reading this bull...).

Proud that I've never read nor seen any twilight

/shines badge

Watched it at work and laughed my ass off at the "tender emotional scenes" and tutting uncontrollably at the messed up message. Second one I saw with friends who wanted to see it and didn't laugh as much since it was even more depressing and ridiculous than the first. I can't actually believe this thing is popular, seriously.

I would like to see buffy set a few more years into the future with as many of the original cast as possible. Didn't Gellar say she wouldn't work with Buffy again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Any more news on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 willowsexy

the first flim was a disgrace

how about a brooding vampire called damienus from mayo?

Brill

Finally some recognition.

I hope Not

Cryptic as always my good willowsexy

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

is this still happening? I really wish we could get a movie with the tv cast :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

sky23 wrote: »
    is this still happening? I really wish we could get a movie with the tv cast :(

Pretty sure SMG has said she wouldn't be up for it. Can't imagine anyone else from the original cast would say no though.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Pretty sure SMG has said she wouldn't be up for it. Can't imagine anyone else from the original cast would say no though.

oh i thought i saw somewhere on the net a while ago that she was up for a it and talked to joss about doing one

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

sky23 wrote: »
    oh i thought i saw somewhere on the net a while ago that she was up for a it and talked to joss about doing one

Sadly like Firefly I doubt we shall be getting it back in and screen(big or otherwise) format.

• Advertisement
Advertisement