Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What happens if you repeat and get less points?

• 18-12-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm repeating and I did well last year and was short of the course I wanted by 25 points, but now I'm in panic mode since it's nearly 2012 and this just dawned on me...if I get less than last year, can I still use last years points for a different course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

As far as I know, Yes. Nothing can take away the fact that you've done your L.C and received whatever score you did. You will always have that score unless you do better when you repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kelix wrote: »
    I'm repeating and I did well last year and was short of the course I wanted by 25 points, but now I'm in panic mode since it's nearly 2012 and this just dawned on me...if I get less than last year, can I still use last years points for a different course?

Generally yes. You may (not necessarily guaranteed) also be able to combine the two attempts, with the best marks from each attempt at a subject across the six(?) subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

No you can't combine results. If that was the case you could just do 2 or 3 subjects every year and get 600 easily. What you can do is combine results for matriculation. Lets say you get 500 points, enough for your course, but you dont have a foreign language (which the course requires). You can do french next year on its own and count it for matriculation along with your 500 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

Oh I know I didn't mean combine results, just use the past points alone. Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

What happens if you pass Maths the first time, then repeat it, do it as your sixth subject, and fail it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Togepi wrote: »
    What happens if you pass Maths the first time, then repeat it, do it as your sixth subject, and fail it?
    Sounds silly, but you can still count the pass in maths from the first year you did your LC.

You can mix and match passes and grades in subjects to satisfy matriculation purposes from different years you sat the LC for most courses (most notable exception I know of being medicine.)

You cannot mix and match grades for points purposes.

Advertisement