Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheating.. *See Mod Note in Post 112*

• 13-06-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Has anyone been in a room where the examiner has caught someone cheating, or someones phone going off?
    I realy wanna see what happens..

has your examiner even been looking for cheaters?.. my examiner seems like he hasnt a clue where he is half the time! But my friends were telling me how there examiners were like checking peoples pencil cases and all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I was scruffed with notes wrote on the plastic inner of the pencil case she looked at them and signalled she saw them, she then just took the contents out and zipped up the case and placed it to one side of the desk IE you dont need to open that again during the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

The supervisor in the centre beside mine (same room, different centre) was letting a guy out to the bathroom when she saw paper on the floor beneath his desk and she called him back. It was just the letter with his exam number/centre number but she noticed it fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

Has anyone been in a room where the examiner has caught someone cheating, or someones phone going off?
    I realy wanna see what happens..

has your examiner even been looking for cheaters?.. my examiner seems like he hasnt a clue where he is half the time! But my friends were telling me how there examiners were like checking peoples pencil cases and all!

no, but our examiner's phone started to ring :rolleyes:, everyone was looking around thinking someone was going to be in deep ****e, until we noticted it wasn't a student's phone then the faces went back to the pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 YouSerious

in our exam hall the examiner told us about 5 times to leave our phones outside. 5 minutes into the exam, a lads phone goes off. Twas pretty funny. she just took it off him, turned it off and gave it back to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

some girl in newbridge got caught cheating off her phone .... exams=cancelled

some other dude in celbridge got caught with notes in his pencil case...exams=cancelled!

and apperently if your caught cheating in an sec exam you cant sit an sec exam for 5 years and you have to appear in court:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

I remember last year a few people cheated for most exams and never got caught..examiner wasnt exactly the most aware person in the room..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I remember last year a few people cheated for most exams and never got caught..examiner wasnt exactly the most aware person in the room..
    It's not really worth the risk, for my money. I'd waste too much mental energy on avoiding getting caught and stressing about it - the net gain would be far too small to justify the risk of disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

It's not really worth the risk, for my money. I'd waste too much mental energy on avoiding getting caught and stressing about it - the net gain would be far too small to justify the risk of disgrace.

Yeh Im in the same boat as you, 1 in particular I remember basically wrote his whole english paper 2 from cheating..certainly got a good grade! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

A phone went off in Maths Paper 1 on Friday, and it was the guy beside me. Everyone was staring at me as if it was me, haha. However nothing was done and he continues to bring his phone in :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not just because it's cheating but I'd advise anyone against it because it's very easy to get caught.

As someone who's been on the examining end of things, it's always really obvious who's cheating. They're the ones who keep looking up to check where you are. When you make eye-contact it gets quite funny.

First they make a really bad attempt to show that they weren't looking at you, they were actually looking around the place in quiet thought. The head goes up in the air, back towards you, over there, the eyes narrow, then ... BANG!! ... the answer comes, show look of affirmation, nod the head and start to write. What model students!

In reality, anyone actually working and thinking has their head down and has no idea whereabouts in the room you are.

Obviously stashing notes in the toilets is another option but however much you can memorise in 60 seconds and take back into the exam isn't worth very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Each supervisor writes a report at the end of each exam. The report of suspected cheating may well be in there, along with the seating map and records of when people went to the toilet, so just because no-one was hauled out during an exam doesn't mean they haven't been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Like gosplan I have supervised exams, and it really is quite easy to tell if someone is cheating, the body language, the obvious lack of concentration. And I have caught a couple of people with notes. There are some supervisors that do not pay attention but you would not want to bet on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

gosplan wrote: »
    They're the ones who keep looking up to check where you are. When you make eye-contact it gets quite funny.

I hope the good looking supervising examminer women doesn't think I'm chaeting so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭user1842

I remember when I was in TY I got a job as one of those guys who brings people to the bathroom.

The cheating was so obvious. The amount of notes I removed from the bathrooms each morning was a joke.

One guy actually came out in the middle of the exam to go the bathroom and went to his bag. I asked him what he was doing and he told me to **** off. I kicked his bag out of the way and said if he does not go back into the exam hall I was calling the principle. He did, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I remember when I was in TY I got a job as one of those guys who brings people to the bathroom.

The cheating was so obvious. The amount of notes I removed from the bathrooms each morning was a joke.

One guy actually came out in the middle of the exam to go the bathroom and went to his bag. I asked him what he was doing and he told me to **** off. I kicked his bag out of the way and said if he does not go back into the exam hall I was calling the principle. He did, thank god.

I remember in my school when I was in 5th year everyone who did TY and was supervising let their friends in 6th year have a peek at their notes. The whole system is quite flawed tbh, les than 10% of people cheat but still, in the grand scheme of things that can cost someone a grade and perhaps their college place.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

I've also done the outside attendant job and the amount of people who asked me for answers on the way to the bathroom was ridiculous! Especially because I was younger than the people sitting it. And wouldn't have told them anyway.

People in my school have been caught cheating, and it's usually just the result of that particular exam that gets stricken off. So if it's something like English, Irish or maths they just have to repeat the next year anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

When I was doing my Geography exam a few years back, a guy got caught cheating.......he had a map of France drawn on the back of his hand. Yes, the BACK of his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

in my school there's always a teacher outside the hall,so there's no way you can ask anyone for ans or look at your notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

brownlad wrote: »
    and apperently if your caught cheating in an sec exam you cant sit an sec exam for 5 years and you have to appear in court:eek:

That's not exactly true. Bit of scare-mongering. That is the maximum punishment alright... but it's never actually been given to anyone. It is pretty effective though as most people don't know this.
    First they make a really bad attempt to show that they weren't looking at you, they were actually looking around the place in quiet thought. The head goes up in the air, back towards you, over there, the eyes narrow, then ... BANG!! ... the answer comes, show look of affirmation, nod the head and start to write. What model students!

Haha! That sounds like what I used to do when I would cheat in my Christmas and Summer tests! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Desire. wrote: »
    That is the maximum punishment alright...
    It is correct to say that this is the maximum penalty normally applied, and that it certainly isn't applied routinely.
    Desire. wrote: »
    ... but it's never actually been given to anyone.
    That, to the best of my knowledge, is not.

For that matter, there are two guys in court at the moment over cheating in the LC a couple of years ago (not something we can discuss in detail at the moment as the case is ongoing).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

That, to the best of my knowledge, is not.

You're probably right. I'm just going on what I heard from a woman on the radio last year when the whole cheating in the Leaving Cert thing was getting plenty of attention because of Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

As someone who's been on the examining end of things, it's always really obvious who's cheating. They're the ones who keep looking up to check where you are. When you make eye-contact it gets quite funny.

In reality, anyone actually working and thinking has their head down and has no idea whereabouts in the room you are.

That's my exact behaviour in exams :o Partially because I'm a little weird about knowing where people are, like if either supervisor come up behind then I get a little freaked out.
    I also realised that bringing my pocket watch into an exam looks a little dodgy. Pulling something out of my pocket, looking at it at at leg level and shoving it back in is not a good thing to do in an exam :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, I remember it well, lovelabel! :p:D

Just to clarify (though I know you weren't implying it) that the case currently before the courts has nothing to do with last year's LC.
    Aoifums wrote: »
    I also realised that bringing my pocket watch into an exam looks a little dodgy. Pulling something out of my pocket, looking at it at at leg level and shoving it back in is not a good thing to do in an exam :o
    No ... >_>

Just leave it on the desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

Aoifums wrote: »

Just leave it on the desk

No ... >_>

Just leave it on the desk?

I know :rolleyes: I didn't realise how bad it looked until I got home. I learned my lesson and left it at home since.
    Not enough space. And I'm not risking it dropping off the desk. It'll crack and make a noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Mate if you had done that to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

brownlad wrote: »
    some girl in newbridge got caught cheating off her phone .... exams=cancelled

some other dude in celbridge got caught with notes in his pencil case...exams=cancelled!

I know someone that was told he couldn't sit an sec exam for 7 years and he couldn't apply for a driving licence etc.. Dunno what became of it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Oh how hard you are. Spend more time learning and less being an ignorant gobshíte, maybe you wont need to cheat then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Have we found a keyboard gangster on boards? :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement