Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vacant space in Dublin to help Homeless?

• 12-02-2014 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

This is an appeal to anyone who has or knows of someone with unused space in the general Dublin area and would like to help those in need. No matter how small or what condition it is in I would be grateful to hear from you. I can afford to pay a reasonable amount of rent (but not quite the market rates) and have a small amount of money to invest in the space. If it is cold we can insulate it, if its dirty we can clean it, etc.

It may seem like a long shot, but I know there are so many spaces in Dublin city that are going unused while there are people sleeping on the streets every night.

For those of you who have space but have concerns about renting it for such purposes all I can do is give you my word that I will take care of your property. If insurance for renting to tenents is an issue, I think I can cover the costs of that also.

Thanks in advance,
    DonnachaF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Your best bet is to probably to contact the likes of focus ireland and try and pool your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

From what I hear (and I'm far from an expert on this), there's more than enough beds for every homless person in Dublin each night, but those beds demand that you not drink and not use drugs in them.

The unfortunates who sleep rough each night seem to be those who can't kick whatever they are addicted to. So I think the only real need is for those who are a little "rowdy".

Best of luck with it tho. Those lads needs all the help they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Shedite27 wrote: »
    From what I hear (and I'm far from an expert on this), there's more than enough beds for every homless person in Dublin each night, but those beds demand that you not drink and not use drugs in them.

The unfortunates who sleep rough each night seem to be those who can't kick whatever they are addicted to. So I think the only real need is for those who are a little "rowdy".

Best of luck with it tho. Those lads needs all the help they can get.

not true. i know from various people in frontline homeless services

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

not true. i know from various people in frontline homeless services
    Okay, like I said not an expert, just passing on what I hear from people in frontline homeless services.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Shedite27 wrote: »

There is even enough wet hostels, the homelessness problem is not because of a lack of beds, or funding, or the lack of charities or agencies in this sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, what kind of planning permission does the space you are looking for need to have? Obviously you're not going to be a typical residential tenant if you are offering some kind of institutional living - I wonder what that's covered by.

Also, how much space do you need for both residents and the support staff they need? (The "easy" folks who don't need staff assistance have long since been housed.)

Advertisement